+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborn sleep patterns

Hi all I have a 6 week old bub who is doing really well! he is now sleeping a full stretch of 4-5 hours (possibly nearly 6 hours if I let him)

Problem is...he is sleeping this stretch from the early evening & then waking every two hours from 12.

I start his bedtime routine at 6pm and feed him. He will go off to sleep after
    this and wake around 11 or 12.

I am so tired..have been waiting up til he wakes or waking him to feed around 11-12 then going to bed myself..only for him to wake every 2-3 hours from 12 as he has already had his long stretch of sleep.

How can I fix this?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you have other children? Can you go to bed when he does instead of waiting up for him to wake?

My motto is never wake a sleeping baby so I wouldn't be waking him to feed at 11-12, I'd just let him go.

Or you could try giving him a dream feed earlier in the evening, say around 8ish?

My first slept through from 5 weeks, 11pm - 5am and his bedtime routine started at 10pm with a bath, bottle and then wrapped up for bed. Could you maybe push his bath etc later?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with bunnyhugs, is it possible for you to get to bed earlier? DD is neatly 12wks and whilst she *usually* now sleeps her first stretch from about 7-1.30am (tonight she's up early) she also did the same as your lo until recently

Dh and I decided to start going to bed early

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with bunnyhugs, is it possible for you to get to bed earlier? DD is neatly 12wks and whilst she *usually* now sleeps her first stretch from about 7-1.30am (tonight she's up early) she also did the same as your lo until recently

Dh and I decided to start going to bed early, eg 8pm. Not a huge step for us, being early risers for work, we usually went to bed at 9pm latest pre DD anyway. That said, we can go that early with no other children to attend to. I went to bed at 7.45 last night! (dh ate all the icecream so I was more p!ssed at him for that though )

It's one of those things that you can't change so you may as well.adapt if you can. I still get a really good night sleep which im grateful for, even if I go to bed the.same time as fatcat

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I would just try and start going to bed earlier if you can. Sleep when bub sleeps was my motto in the early days, especially when DS was a newborn as he had his days & nights mixed up as he wanted to be awake all night. Soon learnt that it was easier to have naps through out the day to counter act being up most of the night!

He did switch it up around the 6 week mark and realised nights were for sleeping though which made things a lot easier!

Having said that, he's now 5 months old and as I am BFing on demand I can still be up and down every few hours some nights. Yes it's tiring, but not much I can do. Tonight I put him down at 7pm. So far he's woken at 10, 12 & 3:30 for a feed. The other night I was up every 1-1.5 hours to feed.

I think it's all a bit too much pressure to put on a baby to sleep through the night. DS has done a few 'all night' blocks (with some resettling, replacing of dummy) but its not the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately I do have other children to look after, feed and put to bed so crawling into bed at 7pm is not really an option. Maybe could crawl into bed around 9pm, & then bub would wake 2 hours or so later.

Was hoping to stretch out this long amount of sleep he was having until late at night/early morning.

I may try his bath and feed a little later in the evening & see if that can gradually push his big sleep back.

I think it's great that bub is sleeping up to 5-6 hours on his own so early and really want to encourage that..just a little later in the evening.,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Can you keep the baby up longer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age their actual bedtime is normally between 8-11pm. So like you said OP in your second post, try the bedtime routine later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have exactly the same situation with my 6 week old. He sleeps from 6-12 then wakes at 3:30 and 6:30. I am not a morning person so I find it hard to get up that early.
    When moving bedtime later, is it best to push it back a little every night til you get to the time you want?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree. Don't worry too much about changing their routine they can adapt to anything. Keep them up playing and feeding till late, or at least after the other kids are in bed. I would sit up and watch tv after ds1 went to bed then sometimes would take ds2 in the shower with me so we could both be ready for bed at the same time. One last feed and we both lay down (in our own beds) and got the big sleep together. I didn't mind getting up some nights when there was a good middle of the night show to watch. DS1 would feed for 45mins and at almost 5 now he still eats slow.