+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Non reactive CTG monitoring at 34 weeks

If you had ctg monitoring during your pregnancy how far along where you and were they reactive? What was the out come of your pregnancy?

My CTG was non reactive today... Going for another in the morning To get a better result.

Can any one tell me how accurate they are as to if bub is ok or not?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What did you eat/drink before?

When I had mine with dd at 41ish weeks it was non reactive but I hadn't eaten lunch yet, after I ate the retest was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ate an apple and a scotch finger biscuit. I also had a cup of ice and water while they did the ctg. Bub was doing big kicks but non were reactive.

Ugh shouldn't have googled it!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterbubs1012 For This Useful Post:

BorrisWombatWife  (08-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I suggest having a nice solid meal before going in

The significance of a non-reactive CTG should be further evaluated because the CTG has a high false positive rate.14

From here http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/dev...b/1/b1.7.2.pdf

Eta(Sorry I missed a bit of the quote then so I added it in by hand.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much that's a great link! Explains a lot.

Will have a big breakfast and take a sweet drink with me and hopefully we get a better result

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Winterbubs, hope all will be well with your retest tomorrow. As Thermo says above, a good meal an hour or so before going in will help. Also rest will help, as more oxygen will pass through the placenta and into bub's blood.

I had 2-3 times weekly monitoring from 29-34 weeks, when my bub was delivered due to Placental Abruption. So I had quite a bit of monitoring and understand your concerns.

Just to clarify, a non-reactive CTG is a lack of accelerations of bub's heart rate, or less than 2 accelerations in a 20min period.

I remember a couple of sessions where bub's hadn't reacted or even kicked in a couple of hours and the monitoring continued for longer than the usual 30-40mins. The nurses usually fed me a bikkie or 3, or asked me to roll over into a diff position and eventually bubs woke up and began to react (apparently cord compression can also cause non-reactive CTG). I was also on medication that lowers my heart rate, and this made it hard for them to determine exactly what was going on. Sometimes bubs had a bit of a quiet or off day, and I'd go back the next day and the trace would be quite different and I'd be out of there in 25mins. If you search for a thread 'Placental Abruption, your stories please' ~ a Mum in there posted about her bub not moving or reacting once in three hours, and she went on to have a healthy baby, albeit after some very serious concerns.

My baby was induced to save him at 34wks (my story can also be read in the abruption thread), and he was perfectly healthy, just really little for Gest. Age. The CTG's were usually ok, sometimes the meds or lack of food that afternoon on my part made them a bit dull, but bubs certainly kicked a lot, and most nurses say that a karate-kicking bub is a really good sign, and not to worry unless proven otherwise if they are kicking heaps. The U/s I had (about 11 or 12 over the course of the pg, every 14 days from 19w with the odd emergency extra thrown in) showed a dire story with 70pc of my placenta absolute swiss cheese ~ blood had dissected it, and it fell apart when eventually delivered. But bubs positively thrived, and hasn't stopped to this day. Had no prem issues other than reflux. He kicked like a banshee from 11wks and still hasn't stopped (sometimes now at 11mo he kicks in his sleep!)

If you feel any changes in bub's movement patterns, or bubs seems unusually quiet, go to the emergency dept and they will do a CTG straight away. Don't hesitate as you are your baby's best advocate.

Please PM me if you feel like a chat; would love to hear more of your story, and your reasons for monitoring, if you feel like sharing with me. Good luck tomorrow ~ please let us know how you go. Best of luck and health, BaronessM.