+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HCG and scans question - help a 1st time mummy out?!

Hi all,
    I would be so grateful for any and opinions.
    I'm pregnant for the first time and it's still early days but I'm not sure about my HCG counts.

My first (exactly a week ago) was 38, 2 days later it was 127 and 5 days after that (today) it was 1233. So all looks good, right?

My GP sent me for an internal ultrasound last Thursday (day of first HCG count when it was 38) and the ultrasound tech said she could see something very small (2.5 mm by 3 mm) but that it was waaay too early to tell what it was. She said she would probably bet that it was a gestational sac.

Today, my GP sent me for another ultrasound (a week after my first one) because he wanted to rule out an ectopic due to very slight tenderness, and the ultrasound tech definitely saw a gestational sac which had grown to 3mm x 4mm but was too early to date as there are no fetal pole markers yet.

My best guess (due to VERY irregular periods and ovulation) is that I'm about 4 weeks and 3 days, but my GP said the first scan was measuring at 5 weeks (in which case, my initial HCg of 38 doesn't match and he thinks I've had a missed miscarriage!) - how does this work if my HCG has climbed to 1233 since then and my gestationalsac has grown?
    The beta charts I have looked at suggest an HCG count of 1233 for 4 weeks and 3 days is very high.

Do my HCG counts seem normal for 4 weeks and 3 days? Is it possible the gestational sac seemed bigger because I could be having twins? Is it possible to miscarry and have your gestational sac grow and hcg count rise prolifically?

I'm 22 and not on any fertility treatments by the way. Please, help a confused and worried first time mumma out and I'd be so grateful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They would have seen something in your tube if it was ectopic on your first scan, surely. When they were trying to decide if my cyst was ectopic they said hcg would go up by a bit or down by a bit if ectopic.

Since your hcg is more than doubling and they see something in your uterus, I think you should relax and be happy!

Sent from my Nexus S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was your ultrasound a vaginal/internal one? It is surprising you would be sent for an ultrasound so early, most ppl only go for first scan between 6-8 weeks. Usually such early ultrasounds are for women with history of miscarriages, ectopics etc

I've had two ectopics and mine ruptured at 6 weeks, which is apparently quite early.. And trust me, you'd have more than "slight tenderness" - its a unbearable double over in pain type thing.. And with ectopics, your hcg levels don't rise as fast either..

I find most beta hcg charts don't show u the full range of average women, mine didn't always fit the "norm". I preferred beta base, not sure if you've seen it? http://www.betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single

Your beta results sound good, so hopefully at your next scan you'll get a better view of the sac

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies!

He sent me for the early internal ultrasounds to rule out an ectopic, and also because he said my hcg should be higher than it is based on my last menstrual period (despite the fact that I know I ovulated a months after my period because I am super irregular and was usin OPKs. I should also have mentioned that I've been generally worried because I've been getting intermittent period like pains in my lower back and abdomen. They're pretty painful, but not bend over or unbearable painful, not are they getting worse. Usually just at night for an hour or so and fleetingly throughout the day. But I've heard this is 'normal' in the first trimester if it's not sharp/constant/accompanied by any bleeding (none of which it is.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with tormy I don't understand why a doctor would do ultrasounds so early. The HCG count I believe doubles every three days or something along those lines so if it is going up then at this stage I would just hang in there and hope. Try to think positive thoughts, this may be the beginning of a whole new life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your hcg should be based on when u ovulated, not when u had your period! Especially if u have irregular periods, u prob don't ovulate on day 14 like ppl assume. Maybe u need a new GP!

Just focus on the fact that your hcg levels are rising, and book in for another scan in a week or two Good luck!

Edited to add: Some women cramp more than others.. I have had some really bad cramps, in my lower abdomen and lower back. Even in my legs. My cramps are usually like period cramps, but i've had dull aches, sharp twinges, aches.. As long as its bearable, and doesn't worsen, try not to stress. Just rest and hopefully they ease
    Last edited by jo7; 07-06-2012 at 22:55.