+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lump sum CSA payment significantly reducing family payments.

Hi.

I received a lump sum payment from my ex for the sum of $2300. It wasunexpected but of course very welcome. I was really shocked to find my FTBpayment was reduced by nearly $200 per fortnight. This was outstanding moneythat he owed the kids. I didn't think it being repaid would affect my payments,but it certainly did.

I spoke to centrelink and they told me I am supposed to receive a set amount ofchild support from him each financial year, if it goes over that, it effects my payment..

Ok, but again it was outstanding money, but I get their drift. They say I got a top up last year of $400. But that didn't put a dent in what he owed. What are they recouping? The $400 top-up? The over-payment of the money which he in factowed us? This debt is accumulated over a two (financial) year period.

They said that payments will reset after the end of this financial year and I should go back to the rate I was on before the lump sum payment, is this true?Has anyone had any experience with this?

I have a regular CS payment about to go into my account; will this affect my payments and reduce them again?

Will my supplements be effected? They are taking money now, so I should still receive the regular FTB part A and B supps?

I've been trying to get through to speak to someone, but it's always busy, I'll try frist thing in the morning as it's probably pointless in the evening.

This has really knocked me around. I'm raising 4 kids on my own (one with diagnosed Autism and one about to see a paediatrician) and studying two courses. I'm genuinely trying my best, I'm not bludging around, wanting money for nothing. If they keep reducing payments like this I will struggle to pay rent and my expenses. I didn't go out on a spending spree or anything when themoney came through, but I paid all my bills and took care of other outstanding problems, not expecting to have these significant reductions. I got a letter today showing my next three FTB payments, and they are gradually going up, but not by much, these payments show late July. The rate rise is only because the advance repayments have ended too I believe.

I’m feeling a bit frantic to be honest. If anyone could shed some light, or has experienced this, can you tell me what to expect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, Yep they reduce your FTB payment so you dont get overpaid for the finacial year. You will still get both sups but if you have been overpaid they take them from here first..

I get between 7-900 per month CS and my payments are reduced for the next fortnight to compensate that. You can have it switched off from centrelink but chances are that you maybe overpaid esp if he doesnt pay anything then you get some and then a big lump sum...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had the same problem. I received a lump sum of $700 off about $6000 owing and had reduced payments for three months. it makes it hard as in the end it turned out I received not a cent in child support as it just balanced out what I lost from centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's ridiculous though.

Payments are based on what child support he is required to pay each month. I don't get paid more if he doesn't pay, yet when he finally pays back arrears owing from before the financil year, I lose a large portion of my FTB. I know they top up at the end of the year, but it's nowhere near what he owed. Are they taking back the top up? It makes no sense!

I know he is expected to pay x amount in CS each financial year, and if it goes over that, payments are cut so you don't have a debt. But the year before he paid under what he was supposed to and the top up didn't cover that amount.

I struggle to make up for his missed payments, I cut back, I need to find ways to clothe and feed the kids for less, we don't get any breaks or time away - ever. And when he does pay that money owing, it's taken again.

You can't win! And it's almost impossible to call the family assistance office. I couldn't even get it to ring last night, and today it said there was at least a 60 minute wait! I want to know if my supps are going to be affected and if my payments get cut even more when the $300 showing on the CSA website comes through.