+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wriggly Sleeper and more

Need some wise advice. DD is 15 months and a real wriggle bag in bed, she sleeps in a sleeping bag so that's not really the concern. My problem is she WILL NOT sleep in a portacot. We have even tried it in her own room with no luck. She will go down in other cots but never ever in hers or anyone else's portacot. It's a pain! So I've been considering maybe plop her into a 'real bed' sooner than I had ever thought (in my head she's 5 in it still!) her cot can be made into a toddler bed so I could start the transition, then the hope would be she could go into a friends bed with one of those portable bed bars.
    Problem is she is such a wriggle bum, how do u 'train' them to stay still? How do I keep her in it? How do I do the whole thing? she loves to throw all her stuff outta the cot too so if she could get it rather than standing up bouncing on her mattress that'd be good right? Climbing is what this girl was made for - if not for her baggy I'm sure she would be outta her cot, so getting into and out of a bed also would be fine...
    Ok um, HELP!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pipsicle For This Useful Post:

moppet  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    why do you need her to sleep in a portacot?

my Lo moved to a bed at 18 months, so not too early but if the cot is working for you not sure why you would change it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah shoulda said that bit - coz I'm tired of going home from places at 6pm to get madam in bed! Haha purely selfish really!

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Portacots are not very comfy in general, DS never liked his either. If I needed him to sleep while we were out, I'd bring the pram and push it back and forth until he drifted off (or just cuddle him to sleep and transfer him into it)

DS went into a bed at 18mths and thrived. Had a bed rail on it to stop him rolling out, and he got the gist of the whole thing really quickly, and slept a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did single beds with the rail for the first six months (ish)
    Both mine are total wrigglers and they slept better in the bed as they didn't hit the ends/sides of the cot as often.
    Dd was 13 months DS was 8 months when they went into the single they only fell out once or twice too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD was 15 months when we took the sides off the cot. Like your DD, she wouldn't and still doesn't sleep still. She is now 23 months and has only fallen out once. I never used a rail either.

They naturally develop a sense where if they get to close to the edge, they will subconsciously move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be hesitant to change her everyday sleeping if it is working just for the days when you want to get home late. If she doesn't like the portacot, will she sleep in a pram, or on mattress on the floor, or in a baby carrier? Can she stay up a bit later on those days?

Have you tried a different mattress in the portacot? or a lambswool?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post

Have you tried a different mattress in the portacot? or a lambswool?
    I wsa going to suggest the same thing. Portacots are really uncomfortable so I went to Clarke Rubber and got a thick foam piece cut to size and now it really comfy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies good to know it is possible for a wriggler to sleep in a normal bed at least! Gives me food for thought! Last night she slept with the cot rail in the lower position to see if she cared... 13 hours asleep and counting I don't think she minds
    With the changing the mattress in the portacot I thought that was a big no no and never considered it :/ she's definitely at the age where she could get herself outta trouble so might try it too!
    Like I said - very selfish reasons for such a drastic change when we have something that works 99% of the time so hence wanting advice that it could work! I'm hesitant coz what's another 6 months of going home early and leaving the husband out in the grand scheme hehe happy to hear other words of wisdom too please