+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i'm not a pagent fan...but the stuff she doesn't seem that much different to what i see/hear bout dancers mum's doing.

my son trains 5 days a week for karate...i dress him up in the appropriate clothes and put him in competitions where he is judged on physical ability.

i do sometimes wonder if the outrage is based on adults judging other adults...not whether the kids having fun. people on here all the time talk about how their kids love dressing up/putting on make up/ putting on little shows...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    i'm not a pagent fan...but the stuff she doesn't seem that much different to what i see/hear bout dancers mum's doing.

my son trains 5 days a week for karate...i dress him up in the appropriate clothes and put him in competitions where he is judged on physical ability.

i do sometimes wonder if the outrage is based on adults judging other adults...not whether the kids having fun. people on here all the time talk about how their kids love dressing up/putting on make up/ putting on little shows...
    there is extremes in all kids stuff..not all pageants are like the USA ones..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post

One of the issues for me is that many kids aren't really having fun, they are told they are having fun. Those US comps go for the entire day with multiple wardrobe and hair changes. Many of the littlies cry all the way thru. I've seen on that show where a child, often under 5 is tired and cranky and doesn't do the right moves or doesn't 'wow the judges' in the swim suit section and the mum gets cranky and scolds them.

Karate promotes discipline, fitness and a healthy mind. Your child does karate bc they like it I'm assuming. Whole different kettle of fish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    "I'm so proud of my tanned toddler"

What an effwit. these parents need to find their own meaning in life, and stop living vicariously through their children.

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So wrong on so many levels!

Idiots like this should not be allowed to have kids. And what about the people that run those sort of pageants for kids, wtf??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by missybubble View Post
    So wrong on so many levels!

Idiots like this should not be allowed to have kids. And what about the people that run those sort of pageants for kids, wtf??
    The entrance fees are something like $400 per child and the grand prize winner wins a grand. Even with all the oversized crowns they would be making a mint.

Did anyone see the Toddlers and Tiaras ep where this southern hair dresser was talking about pageant hair and high she does the girls hair and she says "I call it jack'n it up to jesus" omg lol ah huh I suspect jesus wouldn't approve of 2 year olds wearing madonna costumes with fake boobs and tassels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyNRfvmSqPw
    Last edited by delirium; 08-06-2012 at 12:49.

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    The entrance fees are something like $400 per child and the grand prize winner wins a grand. Even with all the oversized crowns they would be making a mint.

Did anyone see the Toddlers and Tiaras ep where this southern hair dresser was talking about pageant hair and high she does the girls hair and she says "I call it jack'n it up to jesus" omg lol ah huh I suspect jesus wouldn't approve of 2 year olds wearing madonna costumes with fake boobs and tassels
    They should be for adults only though, that way if someone wants to do it they can. Exploiting kids for money is sick

Lol at Jesus comment, those people are so deluded...

Thanks
    Reviews
    This whole pageant thing is hideous!!! Modeling should be left until a child is old enough to decide for themselves. And that still must not include these hideous pageants (unless its like miss universe and they are 17yo+ or something! Even then.....)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yes if it was an 18+ thing then I would still say yuck, but I would say their choice.

That show is like a train wreck, I don't want to watch it but I can't help myself lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    One of the issues for me is that many kids aren't really having fun, they are told they are having fun. Those US comps go for the entire day with multiple wardrobe and hair changes. Many of the littlies cry all the way thru. I've seen on that show where a child, often under 5 is tired and cranky and doesn't do the right moves or doesn't 'wow the judges' in the swim suit section and the mum gets cranky and scolds them.

Karate promotes discipline, fitness and a healthy mind. Your child does karate bc they like it I'm assuming. Whole different kettle of fish

yes, my son loves his karate...but, we still have the days where i am pushing him to go.

Check out any kids sporting day...you will see melt downs and telling offs and parents telling their kids they need to do better. Coaches of kids teams sports often yell and rant too. I have had my eyes opened this year as we started tournaments with DS...i am regularly left at some of the parents. But for every moment, i see some others that are wonderful (like when a 5/6 year old girl collapsed in tears and didn't want to go on and her mum just came and scooped her up and said "ok hun"). I can only imagine what dance competitions must be like...loads of hair and makeup and tight/age questionable outfits there...and i would imagine competitive parents and tantrums too.

The kids in pageants are learning discipline too... not that unsimilar to competitive sports.

Like I said, i am not a pageant fan and would never enter my kids...however, i do see similarities in most other kids activities and i think most people just ignore this and say "oh no, this is part of the sport".

shows like toddlers and tiaras head out to find the most explosive stories...the ones that will get ratings...I just think, meh, it's there choice. People have been stuffing up their kids for years (often out of best intentions) and this is the path they have taken. One day, my son my say "mum, you made me go in those tournaments and i never won and i have always hated you for it"...i won't have meant to hurt him...