+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, definitely not. Purely because I would not be able to defend someone that I judged badly, as I couldn't not attach myself emotionally.
    Depending on the individual case of course, not everyone is guilty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post

A lawyer isn't just defending a client. He's also defending a system that says that no one gets his freedom taken away unless the charges against him are tested in a fair hearing. That hearing can't be fair if the state is represented by experienced lawyers with detailed knowledge of the law and the process and the defendant is left to fend for himself.

Everyone deserves a sound defence. The people that provide it are doing a decent, noble thing and are the very people that make sure that the rest of us have access to our basic human rights.

It would be a sad day if people were judged in a lawyer's office, rather than in an open court.
    This sums up my thoughts.

Someone very close to me is a Criminal Defence Lawyer and I'd have to say they are one of the best humans I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    This sums up my thoughts.

Someone very close to me is a Criminal Defence Lawyer and I'd have to say they are one of the best humans I know.
    This. Some of the most grounded people I know are criminal lawyers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I originally wanted to, but got into civil litigation instead, and I know now there is no way I would cope with criminals as clients..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    YES, IF I thought there was the possibility they were innocent or there was a need for their actions(kill or be killed) type thing. I could never defend someone who outright admitted it and was no doubt of being guilty. BUT I will never be a lawyer and HOPE I NEVER have to do jury duty(if that is even possible lol.

I believe we all deserve a fair trial and we are all innocent until proven guilty(even then I do not believe all guilty are guilty)

At the end of the day it is a job and I would never judge them for that. It would be like saying all butchers/boners are sick sadistic blah blah.... just because they are capable of doing that job. I do not envy them imagine what they deal with everyday criminal lawyers.
    Last edited by fairyflossfairy; 07-06-2012 at 15:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Definitely. And if that's the area I end up working in, I'll sleep perfectly well no matter who my clients might be.

A lawyer isn't just defending a client. He's also defending a system that says that no one gets his freedom taken away unless the charges against him are tested in a fair hearing. That hearing can't be fair if the state is represented by experienced lawyers with detailed knowledge of the law and the process and the defendant is left to fend for himself.

Everyone deserves a sound defence. The people that provide it are doing a decent, noble thing and are the very people that make sure that the rest of us have access to our basic human rights.

It would be a sad day if people were judged in a lawyer's office, rather than in an open court.
    But the OP asked if you could defend people who hurt others, not people who allegedly hurt others.

No, I would not be able to defend people who had deliberately hurt others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I could!!

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure.

If Law was my passion, and that was my job, yes. You do your job and move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! It would be fascinating

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way. I have a friend who does and he says its more about getting 'one up' on the other lawyer. He is a very driven person and has a bit of an ego.