+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just read your post above and it sounds like you are in pain for entire feed. This didn't happen to me as the pain would subside as the feed progressed. I'm so sorry you are going through this it is just awful. Takes the edge of the new bub experience that's for sure.
    Look after yourself and your boobs. Just do whatever you need to do!
    But when they say that if bub is attached properly it shouldn't hurt... well I find that hard to believe because in those initial weeks it just hurts like hell for me and the attachment is fine!
    It's so hard...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You poor thing

You've been given some great advice by lots of lovely ladies already.

I won't go into the long story, but I wasn't successful at BF, and switched DD to formula fairly early on.

At the time it was devastating for me, but it was the best thing I could have done. DD got happier, I got happier, DH got happier, and we all moved forwards.

DD is now turning 2, and is a happy, healthy, intelligent little girl. While I was consumed with guilt and feelings of failure at the time, I now look at her and wonder how I ever could have thought I was a failure when I have such an awesome little girl.

You're not a failure, OP. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. It sounds like you are taking lots of steps to try to make it work, so don't beat yourself up.

Whatever happens, your baby will be fine, and this difficult time will pass. It may seem like forever right now, but it doesn't last that long. Just get through each day as best you can, and try to put the guilt away as you don't need to carry it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    sorry its a bit a late but .....EBM is great way to go..i did this for about one week on my L boob due to DD ripping it to shreds..the boob healed and i felt NORMAL...the pain is horrific as many of us know, it was THE worst pain of my life and us women put ourselves thru it we are AWESOME!! after that....i started with a sheild, it was odd at first but grdually improved....i was actually terrified of not using it as i just couldnt go thru the oain again..then after about 2 weeks i just had a go and after a few feeds it was easy...now havent used it for about 3weeks....it was a gradual process but u can get there if thats waht u want....they aslo couldnt work out why my nipples were so damaged..today i had a tongue tie assesemnent and DD doesnt have it..for some reason she just attached / latched poorly at first, occasionally she still leave a clamp mark but i think my nipples have toughned up now. however i have chronic thrush which i manage with daktarin gel and i get white nipples but they arent painfyl cos the thrush is there but under control....u could try a course of diflucan just in case, i did this as well. good luck.i should add i so wnated to FF at times, i did give DD small top ups when i just couldnt cope and in that way it gave me a little break without the guilt of giving up BF altogether....guilt about not BF is just so rife now....
    Last edited by jfblady72; 07-06-2012 at 22:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    A lot of my friends are bfers onedayatatime and they say the notion that a good attachment means it shouldn't hurt is rubbish. Even if everything is correct it can still hurt like hell the first 6-8 weeks.

I think that's one of the issues with bfing these days. Many professionals tell women if it hurts you are doing it wrong, instead of telling them yes it does hurt quite a bit. But using creams, having milk on your nipples and airing them, having breaks by pumping etc help to ease you in.

OP there is no shame is using EBM or formula if that is what you feel is right.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

CharlieBug  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,

It's definitely worth a trial of Daktarin/Nilstat as the pain could definitely be thrush (can get over the counter at pharmacy). When I had thrush, it would be toe-curlingly painful on attachment and during the whole feed, and a bit better but still tender between feeds - I spent a lot of time topless!!! make sure you treat bub too, even if they have no signs of thrush.

I dreaded every single feed when I had thrush. It was awful. But 5 weeks on now we're doing great.

All the best with your feeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like nipple vasospasm is a good possibility, I suffered from it and it is excruciating and made worse by cold weather, try applying a heat pack before and after feeds. Was he prem due to high blood pressure. My bub was and I didn't have problems with vasospasm until I stopped the bp medication as it is quite commonly prescribed in severe cases of vasospasm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey again, feel free to search out 'Us Dairy-cow Breast-Pumping Mummies' thread and join and post your experience there. Think I'll pop over there and write a post now, come to think of it. It can be a little time consuming, but is very rewarding.

I assume you've pumped before as bub was a prem ~ did that hurt too?

Glad to hear at least you got 2mins in with the breast shield before the pain started. Def worth looking into the gel-pads and whether vasospasm is an issue.

Keep on trucking ~ sounds like you are on the way to finding a solution. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    When I had thrush it hurt thru the entire feed. I actually had to hold back from screaming sometimes it was so bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saw another LC briefly today at a wonderful Clinic I've found. She had a look at him and suggested chiropractic work so we've got an appointment this afternoon. She feels it could be that his little mouth isn't opening wide enough because he has jaw pain, common in vaginal natural births apparently when everything gets, well...squished when they come out! Not expecting a miracle cure at this stage but just hoping for the best.

She didn't see any signs of thrush for me or him but since so many ladies have suffered from the same I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pain like I was feeding my boys knives. It stung so bad I was shaking and had tears rolling down my cheeks when they fed. I know I shouldn't have done it but I put heameroid cream on each nipple after a feed. It would numb the area and then I gave the nipple a hot flannel wash before the next feed. The pain disappeared in a few days to a week but eased up in the first day. There's probably a million reasons why I shouldn't have done it but I enjoyed my time feeding after that so would do it again in an instant.