+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi 2Boofulgals, I just had to reply as I had a 6wk prem, and ended up, after 4months of BF'ing, simply pumping now full-time and bot feeding. My bub had shocker reflux, and for me, it just wasn't meant to be, either, despite no discomfort for me (I found it to be blissful!).

You poor thing ~ it would be terrible to be in such agony while BF'ing.

"Do what you have to do to get through."

If this means permenant nipple shields, so be it. If this means part-time bot feeding, so be that too. My bub did bith bot/BF from the SCNursery onwards for the whole 4months. Just try to use a different position to hold and feed with each.

You can still get the same closeness with bottle feeding as BF'ing if you really try to make it a special time. IMhO, as long as your bub is getting your milk, or as much of it as poss for as long as poss, you've done brilliantly.

You are never a failure whan you've bought a beautiful bub into the world, and that is awfully difficult sometimes with a prem. Some don't even to attempt to BF even their premmies, so I, for one, think you are a great success.

Good luck with whatever path you take ~ as long as bubs is fed, all is well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The burning sound like thrush to me as well. Pain gradually increased til I was crying with each feed. I had to self diagnose in the end as no one could work it out. There is some great info on the royal woman's website so google it. It could also be vasoapasm as they can go hand in hand (vasoapasm could be the result of trauma). It took me two doses of a daily thrush tablet to get rid of it.
    Your doing really well, just need to find the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's nipple vasospasm, you can buy breast warmers, someone in my IVF thread has done that, I think they are helping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't for one second think that you are a failure!

I used a shield from day 7 to 9 weeks and it didn't affect my supply and one day I just decided not to use it and DD latched on perfectly and we haven't had a problem since.

I hope you can keep going! Good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree about the tongue tie too - my mchn (x2) dais my ds didn't have one, then a private lc (i was desperate) found a small posterior one. I got a referral to a gp who cut them but had to wait a month for the appt - by the time it was cut I was too traumatized to try and bf him again as the pain was unbearable and I still wasn't confident. In the meantime we'd got a little routine of expressing and bottle feeding, which was not ideal (time consuming) but I felt sp much happier. I could have written your post word for word, and I was so stressed at the thought of feeding him it just wasn't worth it. Definitely give the shields a go too, it's worth a try. Hugs

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I since found out there are other gps I could have seen sooner to get the tongue tie dealt with, so don't wait if it is an issue.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to all of you so much.

I'm not sure that it's nipple thrush as the burning pain subsides between feeds and doesn't come up again until after another painful feed.

Well, this afternoons feed did not go so well and tonight I tried the shield which was OK for about 2 mins (I was in a state of bliss, that perhaps it just might work temporarily) then it became just as painful as feeding him without it.

According to the Pead who checked him out at the hospital, and I asked specifically, he doesn't have tounge tie. Both LC's said my nipples, technique, his tounge and mouth are fine and he opens nice and wide. So I'm at an absolute loss as to why we can't get it right.

Will see how we go but if the next feed is as bad as all of those today, which are getting progressively worse I'm pretty sure I'll end up expressing and having to bottle feed him until the b00bs can recover. I just hope it won't affect him too much.

I'd rather bottle feed EBM to him and enjoy that than BF while I cry my eyes out. At least after feeding EBM and putting him back to bed I can cry on my own in bed where he's not exposed to it .

Thanks for the support, it means a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry Hun quick reply and sorry I haven't read all the posts either, grab some of the rite aid gel pads, they were fantastic relief for me, my nips were cracked and sore, my toes used to curl every time I fed DS he had a slight tounge tie. Oh and NO your not a failure!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure that it's nipple thrush as the burning pain subsides between feeds and doesn't come up again until after another painful feed.
    It may still be thrush - I had severe ongoing thrush for 2 months with DD and it only burned as the feed started and got worse as I had a let down. There were times I felt like screaming with the pain. In between feeds there was no pain, only a little itchiness of the nipples as as the thrush was ongoing, some skin peeling.
    Wont hurt to grab some Daktarin and treat yourself just in case, esp. if you feel the pain worsening and spreading around your back during a feed.
    If you find the symptoms wane after some treatment, then treat your baby too.
    HTH

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bearskin For This Useful Post:

Widget  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay okay I haven't read any other posts but wanted to quickly just say you are in no way an epic failure of any kind.... it's all normal in my experience.
    I was the same as this for both my babies and it only lasted a couple of weeks or so then out of the blue it stopped hurting.
    I have no idea why it stops but it does. I didn't do anything to make it stop - happened by itself.
    I know so well what you describe and it's horrible - but well worth it if you can just get through this really tough stage. It is only about two weeks long maybe three... at least, that was my experience both times.
    And if bub is happy on the boob I would avoid the bottle so as not to confuse, but you still need to do what you need to do. You're the mum and your instincts will tell you what is right.
    I used to cry out too... I'd absolutely dread feed time coming and she fed very frequently as 5 weeks premmie too.