+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for the quick responses. I do have a shield from hospital so we'll give that a shot and see how it goes. Good to hear that people have used them both short and long term and that both work for some.

Was just hoping so badly that this was going to come easily for us both after all that he's been through. Will see how his next feed goes, fingers crossed xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have yet to have my first bubba (due in Sep) and I am terrified of not being able to BF... I can't offer any advice but I can offer you two resources I have saved in case I face struggles - they may be able to help?
    Breastfeeding helpline 1800 686 268
    Australian Breastfeeding Association website - www.breastfeeding.asn.au

Sorry I can't offer anything else and best of luck xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh you sound exactly like I was big hugs to you. I struggled through six weeks of sheer agony and desperate guilt at the thought of giving up breastfeeding my first son. I would cry with the pain and my baby was just so unsettled. Finally out of sheer desperation (and weeks spent feeling guilty at the thought of quitting) I gave in and fed him formula. The change in both of us was incredible. I honestly tried as hard as I could and it just didn't work out for us. With my second bub I went in with an open mind and decided to give it a go but prepared to switch to bottles without giving myself such a hard time. Well my second son is a champion feeder and I've been going strong for 4 months! I can hardly believe it. Please don't beat yourself up you are doing the best you can. I hope you can come to a resolution and do what is best for both of you. All the best xx

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    You are NOT a failure, you a CHAMPION for getting this far. I have been there, my heart goes out to you, I just want to hug you and tell you how strong you are. BF'ing is really frikkin hard. I experienced so much pain when I was learning how to BF. I'm not sure if I had thrush or an infection but I did find that rubbing Daktarin Oral Gel on my nipples after a feed and letting them air really helped. I also did that at night and let my b00bs air during the night. The pain really does get better, honestly! Women worry and pannick so much about the pain of labour but seriously, that was a walk in the park compared to bf'ing. I screamed the same way I did when I was pushing the baby out, it was confirmed by DF. Be your own cheer squad. With mind bending bf pain, every time you feed you're EXCELLING, going above and beyond the mother call of duty. Unfortunately there are no absolutes in bf'ing so no one can tell you for sure when it will get better, but it will, I promise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done the toe curling feeds ... Sitting there with tears rolling down my face ... My heart is bleeding for you.

Agree with pp about the tongue tie - has bub been checked.

Ultimately first and foremost bub needs a happy mum (as do your other kids) not a mum in excruciating pain . There is no shame in switching to formula if that is what you need to do for you and the help from lc isn't really getting anywhere. Just putting that out there too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you're going through this. I had to stop trying after 6 weeks and found that switching to formula made feeding my girl a real pleasure.

BF's not worth it if you're miserable and dreading every feed. You'll bond with your baby better if you're comfortable and happy. I remember feeling very guilty about not being able to BF and I really wish us mums didn't feel this guilt! Once I switched life was good and I didn't feel guilty.

Good luck and enjoy your little bub, he doesn't care what type of milk he's drinking

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Sorry to hear you're going through this. I had to stop trying after 6 weeks and found that switching to formula made feeding my girl a real pleasure.

BF's not worth it if you're miserable and dreading every feed. You'll bond with your baby better if you're comfortable and happy. I remember feeling very guilty about not being able to BF and I really wish us mums didn't feel this guilt! Once I switched life was good and I didn't feel guilty.

Good luck and enjoy your little bub, he doesn't care what type of milk he's drinking
    This!!! It makes me sad to hear propel taking bout avoiding ff ... Couple of comments above have made me raise my eyebrow. Think it's not just about what is best for baby but best for mum too xxx

My ds (baby1) and I took a little while to get a hang of it but we got there ... Despite having blocked ducts several times we got through it ... Then I went back to work, when he was 8 mths he started having Ebm in a bottle and discovered he could have a feed and see everything that was going on so that was it lol
    Dd (baby2) we took to bf brilliantly loved it ... But after 4 mths I stopped (I felt very sad) ... She had really bad reflux, would have a fed and then throw most of it up after she sat up ... We were both covere and smelt like spew all the time! She needed the thickeners and I don't regret at all making the decision to change her over because it was the best thing for us.

Sorry long story just to say do what you need to do xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Is thrush a possible issue? I had the same thing with my first child, my nips felt like they were on fire and someone was gouging them with a knife. The pain was worse than the c/s and that's saying something. Looking back apart from attachment issues, I 90% believe I had nipple thrush.

I ended up ffing and like you was totally devastated and felt like a failure. I still do. The most important question is... do YOU want to continue trying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhhhh I really feel for you. I had pain for months and I would have happily gone through labour again rather than go through that every feed. I had nipple thrush and vasospasm and it was just awful. I could have easily given up but just when I thought I couldn't take anymore the next feed seemed to be better. Also the thought of washing and sterilising bottles and bottle feeding on a long haul flight seemed worse so I kept going. Things improved and I went on to feed for 14 months when my DS decided he'd had enough. You are not a failure! Never think that and there is no shame in giving up if you really can't get through it. I things will get better for you though. I'm glad you are going to try the shied. Good luck! I really hope it gets better quickly. Also if you think it could be vasospasm (nipples go white and very painful, warming them helps).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have u tried hydrogel breast discs?

I haven't read all the replies but I could have written your post!

I breastfed for 5 months with a shield and it didn't mess up my supply. I also expressed and fed bub on and off for months as I had a lot of pain for months so expressing helped my nipples rest in between.

I found the more I relaxed the easier it was. Make sure bub is in a comfortable position and u aren't hunched or tense.

Hugs, u can do it it does get easier