+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Private Health Insurance? Where do I start? Please help

I have to get private health insurance and I am completely lost. DH is in the Defence Force so it would just be me and the two kids that need to be covered.

I honestly dont even know where to start.

Are there things I definately need to get or I should look out for? I've never had private health insurance before and its very confusing.

Please help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Defence health would be good for your family. I've hot it and I'm happy with them. Best thing is that DHs name gets put on the policy so that he doesn't have to pay the 2% extra per year over 30 when he leaves the army.
    There are two levels from memory. We have top cover and it's 550 ish per quarter after the rebate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I work for but currently on maternity leave..
    They have some great plans for u and the kids
    1st question are you planning on more kids???if so u need hospital cover that includes pregnancy..If no then u can get a basic hospital cover..
    How old are your kids???
    Bupa offer gap free dental for kids on your policy... By using a bupa member care provider..They have some great benefits for physio, speech therapy, psychology the list goes on...
    Also who do you work for??? Coz bupa also offer corporate plans that give your more back benefit wise..
    Or who is your SUPER with
    Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also check out the defence force family cover...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Defence health.
    Check the Ambulance Cover for whichever policy you choose.
    That's my hot tip.
    For example, I elected to change providers when my Ambulance cover was limited to two trips per year per policy. So we have two kids, and if we're all in the same car accident and require transportation, then, you guessed it, we would have had to pay for two.

Ambulance transport is ruinously expensive, and plenty of policies cover all emergency transport, so we changed.

Also, if you don't need maternity services, then a policy which excludes them is significantly cheaper, maybe 25%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    I'm a SAHM and we're 99% sure we're finished having babies. DS is almost 4 and DD is 11. DD will need more work done on her teeth in 3 months roughly.
    I am having a look now at Defence Health and it looks quite good. I had completely forgotten about Defence Health until now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also: extras cover adds a fair bit to the cost, and it's hard to get value for money from it. So many exclusions, annual limits, lifetime limits, and the % benefit is of their schedule fee, not the actual fee.
    My daughter's dental fee is $95, but the benefit is $25.
    You can get gap free dental for kids for check ups and cleans etc, in the fund's providers but first check if there are any where you live. And if they accept new patients. And if they're the providers that you are happy to have your kids seen by.
    Actually, I don't have extras cover any more....... I dropped it cos it was not working for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re: dental treatment in 3 months.
    Watch out for waiting periods and pre-existing conditions. If you already know that treatment is required because your dentist told you, they may consider that a pre existing condition, and won't cover it.
    Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by really old View Post
    Re: dental treatment in 3 months.
    Watch out for waiting periods and pre-existing conditions. If you already know that treatment is required because your dentist told you, they may consider that a pre existing condition, and won't cover it.
    Sigh.
    Just our luck. We're pretty sure she will need it and its going to be quite alot. Tax money wont be going far this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most health funds offer a waiver on 2 & 6 mth waits as a special to make you join..
    At bupa you pay your first month up front then you can claim straight away...
    With Bupa General dental is a 2 mth wait general dental is fillings, cleans and simple extractions also wisdom teeth come under general dental but if you are having wisdom teeth out in hospital teeth will still be covered but you have to SERVE a 12 mth wait on PRE EXISITING conditions for Hospital...
    Also depending on what state you live in you might need ambulance cover.. Remember to ask if ambulance cover is included in your package or if you need to purchase it aswell...