+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Domestic airlines &kids

We are in melb but will be travelling to qld later in the year. Dh is driving I will be flying with kids (ds 4 yrs & dd 2 1/2). We will have to fly in the afternoon which is right on dd nap time - she gets cranky at sleep time and will only sleep in her bed.
    So can anyone provide some advice as to which carriers might have the best in flight entertainment??? I think she will be content to sit down and watch a movie.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a laptop or iPad? If so I would take that and put something she likes on it. Depending on where in Qld you are going to Jetstar hire out iPads which have children's shows on them. But it is a limited rangeof shows, i think they only do it for longer flights. Not sure about Virgin and it will depend on the aircraft as to whether you have a TV screen to yourself with qantas. Taking your own entertainment would be the best option. HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take a portable DVD player. We flew with qantas from bris to Mel and they supplied a little activity pack that was a bit too old for our 2 year old. I packed lots of books, DVDs, stickers and a few little wind up toys. All new so he had not seen any before. I would not rely on the airline for any entertainment. They are all no frills these days!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't rely on the airline for inflight entertainment.
    It seems to depend on the aircraft most of the time as to whether you will get a screen. Last year we flew Melb/Bris and return and only had a screen for one of those, not both, and there was nothing really to watch anyway.

As others have said, take an iPad, or load up your iPod touch (if you have one)with games and shows or a portable DVD player. Take some snacks, a couple of small new toys (mini magnadoodles are ideal) ,maybe some new books to read etc

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We flew virgin in may Brisbane ~ Sydney and return and had TV included, yet we did the same last November and the entertainment wasn't included? We take a portable DVD player but it is some times more hassel.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We fly Perth to Melb or to Bris regularly and it's pretty hit or miss if TVs are available - even with qantas! Even on the flights where they should have Ipads/personal TV screens to hire, they've been unavailable/all broken etc. I've also been on flights where the service on the seat back screens wasn't working and everyone who paid for a movie etc got refunded. It is seriously so unreliable!! Invest in a portable DVD player and non-bud headphones, and also put some fun apps on your phones and set them to flight mode.

All that said, some kids get quite drowsy for take off/landing (I think it's the air pressure change) so have blankie/toy ready - you never know your luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is such great timing to have popped up again ... We leave in 3 wks!! We are flying virgin.
    We have two old iPhones so will load them up with their fave tv shows.
    Not worried about the 4yo but the 2 1/2 yo is already giving me anxiety ... She has no patience but figure I will try get seats as far back on the plane as possible?
    Is playdoh ok to take on a plane? Dd loves it.
    Have some craft packs we can take and
    Colouring.
    Lollies - I am not above bribery
    Anything else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do they have pillows blankets on planes??

Thanks
    Reviews
    No blankets or pillows on domestic unless you're business class.

Playdoh would be a PITA on a plane as little bits would fall everywhere - so if you take it expect your clothes (especially bottom) to be covered in it!

Chuppa chups are my fave for flights as they're harder than cheap lollypops so at 2 DD would suck them for about an hour! Now she's older we got her bubble gum last time me flew which she looooooved (she'd had an ear infection the week before so wanted it for popping her ears). Also we always take lots of little snacky foods that they eat bit by bit which takes up some time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We flew to Melboune in May with Virgin, and to QLD with Jetstar recently (last week) there was no inflight entertainment provided and has been like that for long time for domestic flights.
    We just brought our own stuff (NintendoDS, iPad etc). It'll be a very quick flight anyway so don't stress yourself too much