+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Bubs shouldn't entertain themselves too much. In the first year they need all the social interaction they can get to establish good social skills
    Really?
    Goodness, when Ds was little he mostly entertained himself :/ I talked to him and that as I went about but I didn't sit around playing with him much cos he way always content to do his own thing,

We had a stage just before he crawled where he was very demanding as he was frustrated but other than that, even now at 2 he is usually happy to do his own thing :/ he has good social skills though.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bubble wrap and duck tape.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePeasPlease For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS was about 4-6months old he loved baking paper. Scruching it, flapping it everywhere with his hands. Just put him on his back with a big piece and he loved it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to starla For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Really?
    This is what I was told by the pead and Early Childhood Intervention.
    Its good to do "people" games with them. Like peekaboo, catching bubbles, or lying on the floor on your back with your legs pulled up on your tummy and put bubs on your shins so they "fly". Those are the kind of games where you encourage lots of eye contact, communication, smiles, etc.
    Even clapping along with music can help communication.

Another thing I started doing with DS from 8 months on, was playdough. I made my own playdough and coloured it with natural food colouring. I then mixed different items with it. Rice, glitter, sand, etc. The different textures are great for developing their sense of touch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
    Does she eat them?
    Sometimes she sticks one in her mouth but she prefers to scatter them or turn them over in her hands. I figure it's great for her fine motor skills (trying to pick them up, fiddle with them) and balance (trying to crawl with slippery cards under her hands lol!). She also loves books and notepads and mags - anything with pages to turn!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Go to the library and look at board books.

A big bowl of water outside and a few cups (although the weather is pretty cold) entertained DS for ages.

Your wallet is a great toy too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's important for bubs to have play time WITH adults or other siblings, but it is also good for bubs to have time to explore their world on their own and get toys for themselves and work out what they do.

My dd (8 months) has heaps of play time on her own with her own toys. Her favourite toy at the moment is the rings from the plastic stacking rings set. They are not that expensive and probably something you'd find 2nd hand pretty readily. But, she loves them! Banging them, eating them, waving them, etc. She also loves being in the highchair. I remember having my ds in the highchair quite a bit at this age - it's a great way to have them in the kitchen with you, or in the laundry/etc. A plastic bowl & spoon in the highchair are always fun, or finger food .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for some great ideas. I will probably try them all at some stage