+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Hey I'm all for blessingways, but this whole turn up and buy me x, y, z from my registry pls, no thanks!
    Registries can be helpful if you have a large family or if people dont know what you've already got and want to buy a present for bubs

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to a close friends baby shower a few years back. She's a wealthy solicitor, her parents are an accountant and a surgeon. Gifts received at that shower were along the lines of Prada nappy bags, Burberry bunny rugs, Ralph Lauren and Gucci baby rompers - not a gift registry in sight.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haha I'm not rolling in any flash circles, perhaps its the opposite. Every baby shower I have been to has been all about presents, whether registry or just expected. Leading up to them the mothers have been oh I wont buy that ill ask for it for the baby shower.

Every blessingway I have been to, while some gifts where exchanged it had a different vibe.

I guess its a play in words and not all babyshowers have to be about presents, I'm just yet to go to one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Registries can be helpful if you have a large family or if people dont know what you've already got and want to buy a present for bubs

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    I bought a brand new sling off ebay which the seller said was a babyshower gift, which she was selling as the buyer didn't know she already had one. So yeah as long as they aren't demanding extravagant stuff, a registry would help avoid situations like that.

I didn't really have a baby shower, as I already have too much stuff from my mother, I had a get-together with some friends where no gifts were exchanged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My experience with baby showers is that (usually) only first time mothers to be have them and in most cases these people often have no idea what they actually need apart from the obvious. Baby showers can be a wonderful opportunity for more experienced friends to buy not so obvious but greatly appreciated down the track presents.

Anyway I thought this thread was about push presents (shudder at the name)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't recieve a present from dh after dd's birth and I don't expect to get one when dd2 is born in a few weeks. However I kinda think it'd be nice to get one after this pregnancy I've worked full time. Studied full time. Juggled a balancing act with toddler in dd1. Kept a house of 7 fed etc. all while contending with a high risk pregnancy that has 3-4 complications that require more OB visits that is an hour away that require 5:30am starts to get there

Thanks
    Reviews
    RE baby showers

When I was pregnant with dd a baby shower was planed. I really looked forward to the party with the girls I had spent many years TTC so I felt a baby shower was a right of passage. I had two registries of some small items as we had brought a lot of stuff by than and people were asking my mum, mil and bestie who was hosting.
    In the end due to complications that arose during the week leading to the date of the shower I was hospitalized and it was cancelled.

When I fell pregnant with this bub I was told I was having one no buts about since I had missed out first time. It was about the games and the get together. People asked what I wanted and I reluctantly told them what I needed. So 2 of my besties brought a car seat cover. My work mates all put in for a new baby carrier. and people gave me money towards my MCN start up. My fav presents were actually hand made blankets from mil and another bestie

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A what, now?

Really?

What's with the incessant need to celebrate everything with a gift?

You're expecting a baby? Have a gift!
    You gave birth? Have a gift!
    You are a mum? Have a gift!
    You are now a big brother/sister? Have a gift!
    You are the second/third/fourth child born? Have a gift from your sibling/s!

I dunno. To celebrate something so extraordinary and life-changing with something material doesn't sit well with me.

But that's just me and my two cents worth.

By the by, if we're reducing a man's part in the whole pregnancy thing to his penis and sperm, then the whole pregnancy thing for a woman is really about our wombs and vaginas. What does one buy a vagina these days, anyway?
    Last edited by TimTamsandTea; 08-06-2012 at 02:20.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTamsandTea View Post
    A what, now?

Really?

I dunno. To celebrate something so extraordinary and life-changing with something material doesn't sit well with me.

By the by, if we're reducing a man's part in the whole pregnancy thing to his penis and sperm, then the whole pregnancy thing for a woman is really about our wombs and vaginas. What does one buy a vagina these days, anyway?
    I think the point is it's not new, it's not something women expect or demand, it's been happening for generations.

But sure let's cancel mother's day, father's day, Christmas and Easter while we're at it. In fact any little celebration at all which makes anyone happy.

it's not about the gift, but the thought.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-06-2012),Clementine Grace  (08-06-2012),Guest654  (08-06-2012),Jenga  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by TimTamsandTea View Post
    A what, now?

Really?

I think the point is it's not new, it's not something women expect or demand, it's been happening for generations.

But sure let's cancel mother's day, father's day, Christmas and Easter while we're at it. In fact any little celebration at all!

it's not about the gift, but the thought.