+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't see what's wrong with gifts... every time I walk into a hospital room of a woman who has just given birth it's full of flowers Why is this a bad thing?

My dad bought me brie cheese and salami Love him!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (07-06-2012),Rutabaga  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't see what's wrong with gifts... every time I walk into a hospital room of a woman who has just given birth it's full of flowers Why is this a bad thing?

My dad bought me brie cheese and salami Love him!
    ^^This. At least earrings don't die and get thrown away but can be just about the same price as an expensive bunch of flowers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's a nice thing, provided it's something the dad wants to do and not something the mum is demanding.

Toughlove - what a man and woman go through to produce a baby are not equal. They both play a part, but the strain on a woman's body is (inevitably) much greater than on a man's.

Pregnancy can be very demanding physically on a woman, and for that period they have a lot of lifestyle restrictions that they wouldn't otherwise have (e.g., giving up alcohol, foods, sport, hobbies, etc.) Many are left with permanent damage (to larger or smaller extents) simply from being pregnant and giving birth.

I think it's a nice gesture if a man decides to buy his wife something to make her feel nice after going through all that. Sure the baby is present enough, and I don't think presents should EVER be expected, but if a husband buys his wife a present that makes her smile and makes her feel loved at a time when she might be feeling pretty terrible, then why not?

I think jewellery is often a nice idea, as it can be a constant reminder of the feeling at that time.

I didn't get a push present, but my birthday was 2 weeks before DD was born, and DH gave me a beautiful necklace with 2 hearts on it. I never take it off, and every time I touch it I think about how - when I first put it on - I had the feeling that there was one heart for DH and one for DD. It always makes me feel nice inside

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

ChocMilk  (08-06-2012),Ellymoe  (07-06-2012),Nmgb  (08-06-2012),SimplyMum  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont see the big deal either, women get lots of gifts after giving birth.

Its a nice gesture.

Why is it that when a woman gets something she is self indulgent, women give up so much to be mothers why cant they be spoilt once in a while.
    Its like the second you become a mother you must give up wanting anything for yourself and become a saint.
    No wonder so many women feel guilt whenever they spend anything on themselves. They are just as important as the children.

Nothing wrong with getting a gift for a dad either.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (07-06-2012),Benji  (07-06-2012),delirium  (07-06-2012),Ellymoe  (07-06-2012),Guest654  (07-06-2012),Kishimojin  (15-01-2013),Liddybugs  (08-06-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (07-06-2012),MissMuppet  (07-06-2012),Moxy  (08-06-2012),Sarelou  (07-06-2012),tiggerfields  (15-01-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Meh each to their own I don't see why other people care if someone else gets a push present?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

delirium  (07-06-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    think it is ridiculous. yet another thing a woman feels she should receive for doing something she already (obviously) wants to do (have a baby).
    the baby is present enough!
    if anything, i should have bought my hubby a present after putting up with 9 months of hormonal swings, me being grumpy from not sleeping etc.! he's the poor bugger that gets up at 3am, 6 days a week so that i get to stay home with the baby.

i just think women demand it now, or because it is in vogue to buy jewellery, diamonds etc. there is more pressure on the relationship at a stressful time already. i know friends who have gotten mad at hubby's because they didn't give them anything.
    i was happy with the plate of sashimi and brie hubby bought me in the hospital for a bed picnic. much better than diamonds imo!
    Last edited by halloweendee; 07-06-2012 at 10:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree Janesmum. Very sad that women are told we're selfish and self indulgent when we receive gifts.

All I received after giving birth was the cheese and salami LOL. I loved it!

But no flowers, nothing.

It kinda would have been nice to have been acknowledged as well. I was badly injured after giving birth. DS' father went back work, guess that was my present.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i was happy with the plate of sashimi and brie hubby bought me in the hospital for a bed picnic. much better than diamonds imo!
    Sounds like a present to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got my eternity ring made up when we got my wedding band (so they fit around my e-ring) and I will be getting that. But I fully agree with Drewid - the baby is the ultimate gift and I seriously doubt I will even care/think about my eternity ring once I set my eyes on my new baby

I did however ask my hubby for a mothers day present (this one just gone - I am not due till September) and he pretty much laughed at me

His mum got me some pjs and slippers though which I thought was really sweet and I have put them aside for my hospital bag

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Sounds like a present to me
    i suppose so, although since hubby is a chef and always brings me food i see it as special food!
    i tend to think of push presents as jewellery or something expensive but to be honest we don't do expensive presents in our house.
    my best birthday present was a rose hubby picked and put on my pillow while i was asleep, and a post it note he wrote on and stuck on my forehead.
    i woke up, thought i was blind, rolled over and the thorns got stuck in my face so i screamed!
    still the funniest and most memorable birthday present ever