+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by AndrewTheEmu; 05-07-2012 at 23:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doesn't sound like you are responsible for the damage, since you didn't do anything to cause it. But maybe offer to chip in a small amount for the repair, if it makes you feel better?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicMud For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you were borrowing it for a long period of time, the right thing to do would be to pay at least part of the repairs. In the scenario you described I'd probably offer to pay for a little bit if you can afford it, but don't really think you are obligated to iykwim? I'm thinking more in terms of my own family where I have a lot more money than my (single, no kids, student) brothers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not your fault... it's something that would happen at any time and unfortunately you were the driver at the time.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No it is not your responsibility to pay for it.

If you had the car for an extended period of time (say 6 months then possibly). However a week is nothing at all. And you are also paying for the car, therefore you are renting the car and it is his responsibility to have that hose replaced.

If its damage due to your negligence ie hooning, an accident etc then yes.

However the hose will be general maintenance, I mean the car is quite old and hoses wear out. It is not your responsibility, it is your brothers. As per above you are 'leasing' the car. Even if you weren't paying him it wouldn't be your responsibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i don't think you are responsible but i do think that you should offer to pay for it. surely a hose can't be that expensive?
    he is doing you the favour and he is family, sometimes better to keep the peace,
    he will probably not accept your offer to pay anyway and then everyone is happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Maybe your DH could offer to pay if he's so keen

Personally, I don't think it's your responsibility. VERY kind of your brother to lend it to you, but the $20 per day is actually an extremely fair repayment as it is.

The pipe would have cracked anyway, they don't go from being perfect to cracked within one week alone.