+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely not an irrational preggo moment! You can do it!
    Doctors don't know everything and they definitely underestimate our potentials. Think positive, there are so many women who birth large babies anyway, you can too!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to backgroundnoise For This Useful Post:

strawberry swing  (06-06-2012)

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    How infuriating and unprofessional! I measured big and bub was only 2.7kg. Please try not to let such an idiotic comment shake your confidence. If you can get your hands on "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" I'm sure that would restore your confidence and give you some excellent tools. I loved my drug-free, natural birth and the hormone rush after is like nothing else!
    thank you. i'll try and hunt that book down asap.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What? He can't say something like that then leave. Can you call and get another appointment? Get your gp to
    Help you?

Being big doesn't mean c-sec. The doc needs to answer lots of questions first: how big are you? What is the average size at this point for your height/build? What size do they predict bub will be and how did they come to that conclusion? What would happen if you decided to give birth vaginally? (pro's, cons, help available etc).

Please don't panic until you get answers that you need and are satisfied with. This doctor sounds unprofessional and probably has a habit of making mistakes!
    I have to see my GP every week now until 40+3 at the hospital if she hasn't made her grand entrance yet. I know he will actually take the time to explain everything to me in more detail.

I don't have GD, i've lost weight this pregnancy (about 5 kgs), and apparently the bump is measuring 39 weeks. I do know i have a larger than normal cervix (had to have a scan on bubs for another issue at 29 weeks) and the sonographer mentioned she still had plenty of room because of this.

You're right though, i'd say this particular Dr at the hospital would make quite a few comments without thinking about it first or bothering to find out any further info.

Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    he is an idiot...what a way to undermine a woman's power!

You can birth naturally, infact, a bigger baby can sometimes make for a quicker birth as they are stronger.

I had my DS naturally, he was 10lb.

Just remember that you can do it, you'll be in the right place if you or bubs needs help so you can relax and just allow things to happen.

Have a WONDERFUL birth day
    Awww thank you I really hope I get to prove that dr wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bin13 View Post
    Don't worry about the doctor, hopefully you won't see them again. Measuring ahead could just mean that you have more than average amniotic fluid if he is referring to your fundal height. You are right anyway even if they measure by scan, they are frequently wrong. Have faith in yourself and your body, you can do it!
    thank you so much. I know there are so many factors in the size of the bump, I think it's really rattled me that he was so blasé about giving me this info with so little time spent with me. Everyones kind words have calmed me down significantly

Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    I completely understand how you feel. I had an OB do something similar when I was pregnant with my second. A natural birth so very important to me because I had an emergency cesarean with my first and was desperate to have a natural birth with my second. I was always measuring ahead with both of my pregnancies by atleast 2 weeks and sometimes even 4 weeks. It doesn't always mean you will have a big baby either (I do though, not huge but nice sizes). Anyways I was in hospital at about 33 weeks because I had some bleeding and on the morning rounds I had an OB come to my bedside look me up and down and say 'you are a big lady, you will have a big baby, I don't like your chances of a VBAC'... I was like WTF dude do you want a punch in the head.. Not only have you just called me fat but you have also just told me I won't get my VBAC because i will have a big baby... needless to say I wanted to slap him in the head but I didn't I went on to birth my baby naturally with no drugs into my arms on the shower floor and she weighed in at 9lb 8.5 oz. It was a text book labour and from first contraction to having her in my arms was 12 hrs with about 1 hour of that pushing which is pretty good for a first time vaginal birth... You can do it!!! Just stay focussed and know that you can do this If you are a bit nervous about bubs size look into birthing positions that help give you maximum space in your pelvis and ignore stupid ignorant doctors like that.
    Theophania, i'm so so so glad you got to show that a$$ of a dr that he was wrong!! I hate that it's so easy for someone who barely knows you has the power to make you doubt yourself for a second (in my case).

I've been researching birthing positions and I know that if all goes smoothly and there are no medical reasons for me to be anywhere near a bed, then i'd like to stay away from one. Birthing in the shower sounds awesome! and the closest i'd ever come to birthing in a birth pool. I might try that i've been watching a lot of videos of women giving birth in a squatting position. it makes sense to me! I might try and give that a go

4. The Following User Says Thank You to strawberry swing For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (06-06-2012)

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessca View Post
    Don't listen to him!
    I had a completely natural birth thru a birth centre, but had a bit of tearing. So requested a referral to a gyno. He had look at me and asked what size DS was (9lb) then tells me next time I'll have to be induced early or have a c-sect cause I can't risk having such a big bub. Um, excuse me? I think I did just have that baby.
    You can do this! Have confidence in yourself!
    What a nutter! some people just don't think before they open their mouths!!!

I imagine that was the last time you saw him too....

Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    I had a huge belly and had a 2.7 kg baby too. I Was in the 95th percentile for amniotic fluid content. Don't let your tummy size guide your decision. That doctor sounds like a ****.
    I'm beginning to think he is just an ****... I really hope he's not working when I do go into labour. I imagine i'll be in the mood to tell him to get the eff out of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    Definitely not an irrational preggo moment! You can do it!
    Doctors don't know everything and they definitely underestimate our potentials. Think positive, there are so many women who birth large babies anyway, you can too!
    thank you so much everyone is making me feel so much more confident again

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strawberry swing For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (07-06-2012),Bubbles10  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Belly measurement is one of the most out dated and faulty ways to guess a babies size.

My local gp / ob (who has been an ob for 20+ years) doesn't even measure your tummy, ever.

Your ob sounds knife happy, be wary of him.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When was the last time you had a scan? For all he knows you could be carrying a lot of amniotic fluid and a little baby. He sounds like a twit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That sounds so ridiculous but unfortunately some obs operate that way .. don't listen to him I always measured ahead and both babies were born naturally.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Guest Guest
    Getting the belly measured can be useful and has helped friends of mine discover they had gd later in the pregnancy and 2 of my friends found their babies had stopped growing because the placenta wasn't working well anymore so they went in for early deliveries. All detected by keeping a record of bump sizes.
    I think if the dr was concerned he would of sent you for a scan, but obviously he made a stupid comment with no real thought behind it. I think you need to keep being confident, big baby doesn't mean c/section, infact I bet your baby will be an average size, like what is big really? You're body is made to give birth, your body will do everything it can to get that baby out, it's an amazing thing and you will do this, probably more than once in your life

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What a load of crap. DS2 was measuring ahead massively and was only 3.5kg!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You'll find what he's really saying is:

I have a golf game on the Saturday that you are due so instead of potentially missing that I would much rather get you in here a week early and have a clear calendar.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

bitterpure  (06-06-2012),Sarelou  (08-06-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im currently measuring 10 weeks ahead by fundus, and no talk of a csection for 'big baby'