+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dr has made me doubt my ability to birth vaginally

Hi ladies.

I've spent the last few weeks watching natural births on youtube to help prepare myself for a vaginal delivery, and I had just really started believing in my ability to try for drug free birth.

I'm doing shared care, and I had my 36+3 week appointment today at the hospital. Aside from the fact the Dr was more concerned the the student midwife was using too much gel on the doppler, he barely looked at me other than measuring my belly. As he was ushering myself and DH out the door he turned to me and says "your belly is measuring ahead, which means you have a big baby, and you'll most likely have a c-section" and shut the door.

With that, he completely undid all the work I've done to get myself to the point I worked so hard to get too.

I know it's silly, because I haven't been sent for any growth scans, and I know that they aren't always accurate anyway, but with still being at work (finishing at 38 weeks) and starting to get emotional and uncomfortable and being scared about being a first time mum, that one comment has just really made me doubt myself.

Sorry for the vent, whenever I talk to my dh or mum about it, they just give me a hug and say i'm having an irrational preggo moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs..

Don't worry about the doctor!

You birth how you want to!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazgul For This Useful Post:

strawberry swing  (06-06-2012)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    He sounds like a twit.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-06-2012),strawberry swing  (06-06-2012),trishalishous  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How infuriating and unprofessional! I measured big and bub was only 2.7kg. Please try not to let such an idiotic comment shake your confidence. If you can get your hands on "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" I'm sure that would restore your confidence and give you some excellent tools. I loved my drug-free, natural birth and the hormone rush after is like nothing else!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-06-2012),strawberry swing  (06-06-2012),trishalishous  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What? He can't say something like that then leave. Can you call and get another appointment? Get your gp to
    Help you?

Being big doesn't mean c-sec. The doc needs to answer lots of questions first: how big are you? What is the average size at this point for your height/build? What size do they predict bub will be and how did they come to that conclusion? What would happen if you decided to give birth vaginally? (pro's, cons, help available etc).

Please don't panic until you get answers that you need and are satisfied with. This doctor sounds unprofessional and probably has a habit of making mistakes!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    he is an idiot...what a way to undermine a woman's power!

You can birth naturally, infact, a bigger baby can sometimes make for a quicker birth as they are stronger.

I had my DS naturally, he was 10lb.

Just remember that you can do it, you'll be in the right place if you or bubs needs help so you can relax and just allow things to happen.

Have a WONDERFUL birth day

11. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry about the doctor, hopefully you won't see them again. Measuring ahead could just mean that you have more than average amniotic fluid if he is referring to your fundal height. You are right anyway even if they measure by scan, they are frequently wrong. Have faith in yourself and your body, you can do it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I completely understand how you feel. I had an OB do something similar when I was pregnant with my second. A natural birth so very important to me because I had an emergency cesarean with my first and was desperate to have a natural birth with my second. I was always measuring ahead with both of my pregnancies by atleast 2 weeks and sometimes even 4 weeks. It doesn't always mean you will have a big baby either (I do though, not huge but nice sizes). Anyways I was in hospital at about 33 weeks because I had some bleeding and on the morning rounds I had an OB come to my bedside look me up and down and say 'you are a big lady, you will have a big baby, I don't like your chances of a VBAC'... I was like WTF dude do you want a punch in the head.. Not only have you just called me fat but you have also just told me I won't get my VBAC because i will have a big baby... needless to say I wanted to slap him in the head but I didn't I went on to birth my baby naturally with no drugs into my arms on the shower floor and she weighed in at 9lb 8.5 oz. It was a text book labour and from first contraction to having her in my arms was 12 hrs with about 1 hour of that pushing which is pretty good for a first time vaginal birth... You can do it!!! Just stay focussed and know that you can do this If you are a bit nervous about bubs size look into birthing positions that help give you maximum space in your pelvis and ignore stupid ignorant doctors like that.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (07-06-2012),Sarelou  (08-06-2012),strawberry swing  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a huge belly and had a 2.7 kg baby too. I Was in the 95th percentile for amniotic fluid content. Don't let your tummy size guide your decision. That doctor sounds like a ****.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't listen to him!
    I had a completely natural birth thru a birth centre, but had a bit of tearing. So requested a referral to a gyno. He had look at me and asked what size DS was (9lb) then tells me next time I'll have to be induced early or have a c-sect cause I can't risk having such a big bub. Um, excuse me? I think I did just have that baby.
    You can do this! Have confidence in yourself!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sevven For This Useful Post: