+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No but I would refer to them as being 'blue' only because 'ranga' is something I call my own kids so its special for them

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you think tho (this is a general 'you' not specific, but anyone feel free to respond)

That one day the redheaded child who has been called ranga at home (in a loving way) is going to be called ranga at school, in a mean way, and going to realise that this word is used in a way to hurt people, that its not gping to confuse the child as to 'why would mum and dad call me ranga if its used in a mean way?'

Im not entirely sure of this intent idea. And this is going to sound extremely in poor form but im gonna say it because its the same thing.

My sons have autism and ds#1 has an intellectual disability. Could i call him lovingly 'my little r*tard?' based on the intent logic and would it be ok? Its only ok because i love him?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-06-2012),IndigoJ  (07-06-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Giving this more thought, is it acceptable to call someone fattie, baldy, midget or any other host of names?

Again, I am not talking about the pet names family members might have for one another, I am talking about outside the family home and outside close friendships.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    To those who call their own family members 'ranga', would you say it to a stranger? Would you say it to a child you didn't know?

Why/why not?
    I see your point but I'm sure there are things we call our family members as a term of endearment that we would not use for strangers.
    Family dynamics are alot different to random strangers.
    I guess it's a matter of me not seeing the " harm" as others may do because my words aren't based on hurting anyone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to diesal444 For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Giving this more thought, is it acceptable to call someone fattie, baldy, midget or any other host of names? Again, I am not talking about the pet names family members might have for one another, I am talking about outside the family home and outside close friendships.
    Regardless if it's acceptable or not it happens. There are so many deogotory terms, some subtle and some not, I guess it all comes down to the way it's being said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have blonde hair however my 3 brothers have bright orange/red hair. I think the term Ranga is a phase hopefully. I never heard it through school but when my middle brother was in high school it seemed very popular.

He chose to embrace it and has happily taken it on as his nickname and he even had it printed on the back of his school leavers jumper. I guess it dosnt hurt him as he chooses not to let it. I on the other hand don't like it and get offended if I was to hear anyone call my brothers that. I also got called dumb blonde at school.

I don't think kids should be calling people names but I don't think that's ever going to stop completely. Kids need to learn to be able to shrug some things off. Not everyone in life is going to be nice to them.

My grandma taught me
    "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Do you think tho (this is a general 'you' not specific, but anyone feel free to respond)That one day the redheaded child who has been called ranga at home (in a loving way) is going to be called ranga at school, in a mean way, and going to realise that this word is used in a way to hurt people, that its not gping to confuse the child as to 'why would mum and dad call me ranga if its used in a mean way?' Im not entirely sure of this intent idea. And this is going to sound extremely in poor form but im gonna say it because its the same thing.My sons have autism and ds#1 has an intellectual disability. Could i call him lovingly 'my little r*tard?' based on the intent logic and would it be ok? Its only ok because i love him?
    I have a dear friend who is ODD and has asperger's. She is in her 50's and has 4 children. 3 of her children are Asperger's, one with Autism. She lovingly and jokingly refers to her children as retards. Or "our 'special' family". Her kids joke about it too and it's totally acceptable in their household.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter gets this all the time and it doesn't mother me. Even we call her this!

What's more annoying is the "where did that hair come from" question.

mummy to gods gift to us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As a child my father called me Katy-pottamus. It was meant lovingly, it was a term of endearment - I HATED IT - it slammed home to me every day that I was fat and I was different. My sister was called Splinter - it was a term of endearment, it pointed out that she was stick thin. I HATED IT. She wa thin I was FAT, FAT, FAT.

My DD HATES her grandfather calling her 'Pet', it is meant as a term of endearment - she hates it and now tells him that she is NOT his 'Pet', she is not a dog or a cat

Think long and hard what you all like to think of as terms of endearment - you just might mean it lovingly but your child just might not. Today they mightned mind, but at some stage they might just say they do, and it might be after years of using the name they tell you that they don't see being called a 'ranga' as anything loving.

I can't find the link now, but I did read a page a short while ago where some psychologists talked about terms of endearment and the long term effects they can have on some people.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    in the playground children are always going to call each other names, usually based on some type of physical appearance. whether it is their hair color, skin color, body type, height......
    where do you draw the line?
    and because some people find it offensive, should it be 'banned'? what about the people who use the term endearingly....
    and i can't believe some posters are equating the word ranga with the n word. worlds apart

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (07-06-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (07-06-2012)