+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my little rangas. It is not meant with offence. It is cute little nick name here, much like little piggy or fatty woooo.

I think it can be used negatively like everything, but it isnt meant that way here.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    There's a huge difference between the words ranga and ****.
    Ah, but that's the beautiful thing about logic; it doesn't differentiate between layers of meaning, it focuses on the thought process.

The logical statement would be: Someone might call my child X, so I will call them X to prepare them for this. If don't agree with the logic of this statement, then you need to rethink your position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask the people who think ranga is offensive because it is essentially comparing your child to that of an orangutan, I call my dd "my little monkey" as a nickname (she has brown hair....but then again so do monkeys) and I AM calling her a monkey when I say that yet nobody finds that offensive. Why?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess1889 For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (07-06-2012),onionskin  (07-06-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess1889 View Post
    Can I ask the people who think ranga is offensive because it is essentially comparing your child to that of an orangutan, I call my dd "my little monkey" as a nickname (she has brown hair....but then again so do monkeys) and I AM calling her a monkey when I say that yet nobody finds that offensive. Why?
    Because it's said with love, your intention is not to demean or belittle her.

As I said, I don't consider "ranga" any more offensive than "carrot-top"; there's nothing inherently bad about carrots, yet if the name is used to taunt someone then it becomes offensive.

That's why it makes no sense to me to use the name on your child to desensitise them; if someone on the playground wants to hurt your child with words, then this is the issue... not the particular words they use. If your child is used to "ranga" and doesn't react as hoped, they'll just find another name that works.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hair is naturally blonde, but I usually dye it dark brown. On one occasion I accidentally went quite an orange colour, after trying to go from dark back to blonde. A lot of people jokingly called me 'ranga' then, and I didn't like it. I knew they didn't mean it in a nasty way, and it wasn't so much the word itself that offended me, but the fact that everyone was laughing at my hair.

I know that situation is different from being born with hair that colour, but it gave me a little insight into how it might feel, and it didn't feel very nice.

I also heard a mother comment, in front of another mum with a red haired baby, that she'd been terrified her own baby had red hair but 'thankfully' they could now see it was blonde. Not cool.

I get how people might be offended, as it's not usually said as a positive thing. If I thought people were laughing at DD about something then I know it would hurt me.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess1889 View Post

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    You are using monkey ad a term of endearment and that your prerogative. If I called you child a monkey due to him say being hairy or in my opinion ugly you'd be rightly do offended. My sbrother was called 'Tom' as a child due to his bright red hair (as in Tom Piper Baked Beans), and it sticks to this day. That is also different to being compared to an animal in a derogatory sense.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (07-06-2012),MissMuppet  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS has a bit of red in his hair and DH is full red head. He calls himself a ranga and we both call DS out baby ranga.

I don't find it offensive unless someone is deliberately trying to say it in a derogatory way.

I also call DH and DS my orangutan's. It's a term of endearment for us and we think orangutan's r cute

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's all about the intent.
    When used affectionately it's really just a name we use as a term of endearment.
    When my kids are crazy I call them fruitcakes!!!
    Politically incorrect?? Probably, but the intent behind the words is not malicious.
    My DD is sometimes called " ranga" and I don't find it offensive at all.
    My DH doesn't get offended when I call him my " wog" because the intent there is affection.
    If they really hated it of course I wouldn't but as I've never used it in a derogatory way therefore no offense is taken.
    Does this make any sense??

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To those who call their own family members 'ranga', would you say it to a stranger? Would you say it to a child you didn't know?

Why/why not?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by swizzlestick View Post
    That doesn't make any sense at all. You would call the asian girl asian because she IS Asian, a red headed child is NOT a ranga, so why refer to them as one. Given that logic we should go back to using all derogatory terms as defining labels! I bet you dont call the blonde kids the 'dumb blondes' or the Italians 'wogs' or the africans 'n......' !!!!
    Calm down. A lot of things people do don't make sense. Still happens though. And we DO use derogatory terms as defining labels all. the. time.