+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im a ranga and I don't find it offensive.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a flaming strawberryblonde DD and don't mind if she's called ranga.

She's been called ginga ninja, match head, ranga, rednut....DH's special nickname for her is gingernut biscuit!
    There's a lot worse insults out there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a redhead and I HATE the nickname ranga. I find it extremely offensive. I also hated carrot top, ginger (ESP when I have a deep red colour) and even connect the dots . What right does someone have to call you a nickname just coz the colour of your hair.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millie82 View Post
    I'm a red head. I was 'carrot read' up until about 8 then went dark, now Im more auburn.
    I'm exactly the same; DD has red fuzz so I assume she will follow suit.

I was always teased for my hair, but I never heard the term "ranga" until I was an adult. I'm not more offended by this term than any other, but I do think it's a particularly ugly, stupid sounding word.

I will not be calling my daughter any names to "prepare" her for them, and I must admit the logic disturbs me. Would you call your pudgy child "Fatty", or your Greek child "Wog" to prepare them for insults? I think it's more appropriate to teach them that insults are not acceptable, and how they can deal with them if and when they occur.

I teach my children that it's not appropriate to comment on other people's appearances. If other parents would do the same, we might not have a problem.
    Last edited by lambjam; 07-06-2012 at 07:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like the term Ranga, but we tend to use the term Fanta pants for my sister in law, but she calls me bimbo cause of my bright blonde hair.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I'm exactly the same; DD has red fuzz so I assume she will follow suit.

I was always teased for my hair, but I never heard the term "ranga" until I was an adult. I'm not more offended by this term than any other, but I do think it's a particularly ugly, stupid sounding word.

I will not be calling my daughter any names to "prepare" her for them, and I must admit the logic disturbs me. Would you call your pudgy child "Fatty", or your Greek child "Wog" to prepare them for insults? I think it's more appropriate to teach them that insults are not acceptable, and how they can deal with them if and when they occur.

I teach my children that it's not appropriate to comment on other people's appearances. If other parents would do the same, we might not have a problem.
    I agree the world would be a much better place if people taught their children that judging someone on their appearance is wrong. But in the real world this doesn't happen. I know my children will more than likely cop a whole lot of crap because of their hair colour. As a parent I have chosen to teach them to not be offended by the name, As their parent I feel I have made the right decision and as their parent I would prefer not to be judged for doing so... DH who was teased horribly to the point where he left school very young because he could no longer stand it anymore agrees with this decision also...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (07-06-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    I don't really find Ranga offensive, and I would never call someone that directly, but I liken it to identifying someone, like in a group if a girl is Aisan and you want to point her out you don't go "the girl with the black hair" you go, "that Aisan girl" I think Ranga is kind of the same.
    That doesn't make any sense at all. You would call the asian girl asian because she IS Asian, a red headed child is NOT a ranga, so why refer to them as one. Given that logic we should go back to using all derogatory terms as defining labels! I bet you dont call the blonde kids the 'dumb blondes' or the Italians 'wogs' or the africans 'n......' !!!!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    I agree the world would be a much better place if people taught their children that judging someone on their appearance is wrong. But in the real world this doesn't happen. I know my children will more than likely cop a whole lot of crap because of their hair colour. As a parent I have chosen to teach them to not be offended by the name, As their parent I feel I have made the right decision and as their parent I would prefer not to be judged for doing so... DH who was teased horribly to the point where he left school very young because he could no longer stand it anymore agrees with this decision also...
    I didn't say I judged, I said the logic disturbs me. If we applied that logic to everything, we'd be calling our children all kinds of names! Someday, someone is going to call my daughter a s!ut. I will do my best to prepare her for this and other eventualities, but not by calling her one myself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post

This ^^^.

I believe that using a term to get kids ready for being called names is another form of victim blaming. Again instead of not calling kids/people names, instead of teaching kids to not be nasty or rude we tell the victim that this is to be expected.

By teaching a victim to expect to get called names undoes all of the other wonderful things we tell a child about themselves. What a shocking mixed message to give to a kid

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a huge difference between the words ranga and ****.

I respect that we have differing opinions on this lambjam, but I don't find your logic 'disturbing'. It's just different *shrug*