+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    It does bother me! DH says it's the last minority it's socially acceptable to make fun of. Decades ago people made fun of immigrants and blondes. Now thank goodness that's stopped but it seems the moronic masses need to pick on another minority.

I guess because redheads are usually ango-saxon it's not seen as racist or politically incorrect?

I seethe when my Toddler's childcare leader calls her a ranga! How do I explain what it means when she asks??? I don't want her to feel singled out because of her hair.
    I am completely gobsmacked and horrified by this! I would definitely say something. I feel so grateful that it's not a term that is used by people we know irl.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-06-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After skimming through the responses I have to add, I think the reason it bugs me so much is that with no other hair colour or physical trait of a person is it socially acceptable to use such derogatory terms. Even 'dumb blonde' is now unPC, so why do people still feel the need to refer to my beautiful little redhead as anything but that. And like PP said just because a person can be self-depreciating doesn't give others the right to do it. If someone referred to themselves as the 'N' word, it wouldn't give you license to use it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lemonpancakes, I agree with misskitty. I wouldn't be ok with that. Just tell her its not something you're comfortable with.
    I have no probs with my DH (he's got ginger colouring too ) or me using the term, but daycare? Nuh-uh. It's not professional for them to be using nicknames anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it is offensive and neither I, dh or dd have red hair.
    Tbh I didn't know it refered to orangutans until one of my preschool kids said to a red hair boy "your hair is orange like an orangutan!" and he replied "yes I know I hate when people call me ranga"

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DP calls mum Denis (Off the eat red meat ads), calls his boss a Ranga and me too. Doesn't phase me in the slightest and I seem to know a few people who are the same. DP only says it in light humour and only to those he knows will dish the jokes back.

So doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    It does bother me! DH says it's the last minority it's socially acceptable to make fun of. Decades ago people made fun of immigrants and blondes. Now thank goodness that's stopped but it seems the moronic masses need to pick on another minority.

I guess because redheads are usually ango-saxon it's not seen as racist or politically incorrect?

I seethe when my Toddler's childcare leader calls her a ranga! How do I explain what it means when she asks??? I don't want her to feel singled out because of her hair.
    Id be definitely saying something to the teacher! Or director. It's against our code of ethics, regulations and quality standards to call children by offensive names! We only use nicknames at work that the family use

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it is used as an offensive term with very young people, like primary school but once they get older its just a nickname. We know so many "Ranga's" and they use that name themselves!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    I have no problem if other people refer to themselves as that.

But i would be deeply offended if someone called my son's or my husband that.

My dh loathes the term, he gets really p1ssed. We see people on his facebook all the time talk about how they hope they dont get a 'ranga' baby etc. Its really dissapointing in this day and age to hear things like that.

Personally i think my kids are stunning, and ds#2 gets comments on his hair from strangers (especially old people) every time we leave the house. This one old guy is out in his garden every morning on the walk to school and he says every single day "hello little bluey, dont you have lovely coloured hair" ds#2 rubs his head and says "yesh" teehee

Sorry i went all rambly there.
    Awww I love both of ur ds hair your right they do look stunning

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post

And i love so many of people in this thread and can see the 'preperation angle' is out of love. But i find it upsetting that parents feel they need to do that.
    Yeah, I know. It does annoy me, but there are worse things in life and as parents we do whatever we can to insulate our kids from the big bad wolf and if being called a 'ranga' in the schoolyard is the worst that DD1 gets then I think she's gotten off lightly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't really find Ranga offensive, and I would never call someone that directly, but I liken it to identifying someone, like in a group if a girl is Aisan and you want to point her out you don't go "the girl with the black hair" you go, "that Aisan girl" I think Ranga is kind of the same.

The ones I find offensive re redheads are Fanta pants and Fire crotch.