+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DF and DS have red hair and I don't like the term when said about DS but don't mind when said to DF, kind of silly really but I know DF doesn't care if it is said as a term of endearment and he is so hairy he looks really a lot like an orangutan!! But DS is only 1 and he can't tell me if he cares or not so my instant reaction when people say it about him is to get defensive. I don't know if that even makes sense!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    DP has red hair and will refer to himself as a ranga and finds zero offense with it.. I call him my rangy rang.. Lol. I say it, but with endearment.. Not malice.. I think it drpends how it is said..

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    It depends on context and tone. My DD1 has orange hair and we know that she will be called a ranga eventually, so to desensitise her to it we affectionately call her 'Rang Rang'.

I loathe the fact that it can be used against children in such a nasty way. So as I said, its all about tone and context - use it affectionately and I have no issue, use it in a mean way and just watch me turn into mama bear in a second.
    Last edited by MamaC; 06-06-2012 at 21:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its mean to call kids names like that. I know it's said in gest most of the time but it teaches red head kids that they should feel self conscious about their hair. I think red hair is gorgeous and I think you're lucky if you have it naturally. (I dye mine copper red as proof).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm a wee bit slow on the uptake, and originally it didn't offend me -but I don't have red hair.

I can see it being used in derogatory and derisive fashion and my kids have been the hurt by being called ranga in the school grounds.

Like all terms, some people will use it as a term of endearment.

I think there are many other better descriptive terms that can be used when it be one necessary to point out someone hair color

My poor kids have the double problem of having red hair and a surname based on a metal - they get called 'Rusty' these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH is a redhead and hates the term with a passion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah grinds a nerve with me.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and two children are red heads and they are all referred to quite regularly as rangas. It doesn't offend my DH and I have no problem with it. My children can make up their own minds when they get older. TBH I call them that so they can kinda get used to it because I know they will hear it alot at school and out and about in public. I want it to be a term they are ok with and not something that will hurt them iykwim... No one ever refers to my husband and children as rangas in a mean and nasty way, its always just a 'nickname'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Munchiesmummy - FOT = Effing orange terror?

Indigoj - i think the term you were looking for was discrimination :P

Fwiw i think redheads are beautiful and secretely hope this bub gets DPs red hair... But i use the term ranga and will joke that if this baby comes out red im putting it in a hessian sack with rocks and throwing it in a river - all said in jest... I have a horrible sense of humour :/

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    I think calling yourself a ranga is different to someone else using the term iykwim? Kinda like an old Italian bloke referring to himself as a wog but it would be offensive if someone else called him that. I can't quite explain what I mean :/ brain malfunction..
    I know what your trying to say, I agree.
    My DH and newly 10week old DD are ginger and don't want her being called "ranga" forever is wears abit thin after awhile. I love her beautiful hair and would never want her any other wAy, but I don't think we need the name calling with it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 25andhopeful For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have any red-haired kids or family but I refuse to use the word because I think it could be offensive. I see it like the 'n' word, or 'wog', if you belong to that group and take ownership of the word and choose to use it to describe yourself that's fine, all power to you. But don't assume all people in that 'group' feel the same way, and if you don't belong to that group, don't use it at all.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-06-2012),IndigoJ  (06-06-2012),misskittyfantastico  (06-06-2012),MissMuppet  (07-06-2012),swizzlestick  (06-06-2012),WorkingClassMum  (06-06-2012)