+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    My very own little ranga was born this morning as soon as I saw him I said to DF "oh my god he is a ranga".

All the red hair love threads on here lately meant I was delighted!

Congrats he is just adorable

Thanks
    Reviews
    congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Naaaw, how lovely! Enjoy your Babymoon Von Zipper

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    DH said "Can we adopt him?"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    I have no problem if other people refer to themselves as that.

But i would be deeply offended if someone called my son's or my husband that.

My dh loathes the term, he gets really p1ssed. We see people on his facebook all the time talk about how they hope they dont get a 'ranga' baby etc. Its really dissapointing in this day and age to hear things like that.

Personally i think my kids are stunning, and ds#2 gets comments on his hair from strangers (especially old people) every time we leave the house. This one old guy is out in his garden every morning on the walk to school and he says every single day "hello little bluey, dont you have lovely coloured hair" ds#2 rubs his head and says "yesh" teehee

Sorry i went all rambly there.
    I haven't read every response but I associate with this one.

my DH has red hair and he too finds it offensive and I think it's an awful term too!

Recently in the AFL there was a terrible incident where a 13 year old in the crowd of a game called an indigenous player and ape. That is highly offensive and racist.

Being called a ranga when you have red hair is likening as the OP says a red head to a version of an ape.

no one can control their country of birth, their hair colour or their skin colour and as such no one should be called any kind of name that associates their appearance with a negative name.

our daughter was born with out red hair and I was so upset! I wanted her to have red hair as I think it's gorgeous! I also like to be different, so I thought it would be nice for her to have something that sets her apart from the crowd. I guess I'll just need to teach her how to be an individual in other ways.

I think what irks me most is that the term is used in the media, radio, TV etc which normalises the term and that's just not right! If tv presenters or radio sports commentators made a racist slur, they'd get the sack, but I hear the term ranga so often and can't stand that for some reason it's still tolerated! Something needs to change.

rant over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow old thread.

I still find it offensive and my ds2 still gets called this. Now though when someone says oh he's a ranga. I reply with no he isn't.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post

I wouldnt walk up to a strangers child (chubby) and say "ooh, what a cute little hippo". So why do you(in general) think its ok to walk up and call my child a Ranga (short for Orangutan)
    bahahaha that cracked me up! But I completely agree!

I have a big nose and I used to get teased at school and I was called snuffy (mr. Snuffelupagus from Sesame Street) and I was called it because of my appearance. This was also followed by me being alienated by almost everyone in my year level.

Its just not nice. If you have kids with red hair and want to call the, that, it's not anything to do with me, but the fact is as long as the word is still used in a 'joking' way, it will still be used in a derogatory way.