+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    So because we use the term "ranga" with my daughter we are demeaning and belittling her? In MY household it's said with immense love and affection. How is that different to a PP calling her child a monkey? It's just another term of endearment. I understand that you disagree, but it feels as though you are insinuating that those ppl in this thread who use it affectionately are intentionally demeaning or belittling their children and that is not a fair representation
    Not at all. If you believe "Ranga" is nothing more than an affectionate term, then fill your boots! It's an entirely different thing to someone saying they believe it is a derogatory term but that using it will help their child to cope.

Calling my child a name based on their physical attributes is still not my cup of tea, but that's not my business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally find the term 'ranga' offensive and insulting.. and if anyone were to call my own son by that term, they would know fairly quickly how I feel about it (politely, of course ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In my experience its generally used in a degrading manner. I would never call anyone this.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hate the term. I'm not a red head, neither are any of my friends, still hate hearing it used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    So because we use the term "ranga" with my daughter we are demeaning and belittling her? In MY household it's said with immense love and affection. How is that different to a PP calling her child a monkey? It's just another term of endearment. I understand that you disagree, but it feels as though you are insinuating that those ppl in this thread who use it affectionately are intentionally demeaning or belittling their children and that is not a fair representation
    I don't think you are demeaning or belittling but I think what lambjam is saying, just using your example, if a black person called their child a monkey as a way of 'toughening them up' in prrparation for teasing at school, it wouldn't really be nice regardless of the intent. Whereas if it's a term of endearment it's different. Like I call my kids little monkeys affectionately but it's got nothing to do with preparing them for racist taunts they may receive when they're older.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (08-06-2012)

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two "rangas" (and one whose hair colour changed from ranga to blonde) and I have no issue with the term. I am, however, a Kiwi so maybe I am a little more relaxed. In our family, it is used as an affectionate term and even friends who have used it to refer to our children have used it affectionately.

I doubt that most people even have a clue about the origin of the term ...

I must love rangas ... even the cat is one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like all things, it depends how it is said and whether it is intended to be a put down or not. In the high school I teach at there are obviously a few red haired kids who refer to themselves as 'rangas' and their bf/gfs (I teach mainly senior) often use it as a term I endearment! I guess a lot of negative attention has come from
    Television shows such as summer heights high and south park which make fun of red haired children and the kids at school did pick up on that for a while (but are pretty much over it now)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't think you are demeaning or belittling but I think what lambjam is saying, just using your example, if a black person called their child a monkey as a way of 'toughening them up' in prrparation for teasing at school, it wouldn't really be nice regardless of the intent. Whereas if it's a term of endearment it's different. Like I call my kids little monkeys affectionately but it's got nothing to do with preparing them for racist taunts they may receive when they're older.
    Thank you, this is exactly what I meant

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mil gets calleD Ranga instead of grandma. It all started when the first grandchild was learning to talk and for some reason she couldnt get grandma and we instead got Ranga. It was just an innocent comment from an 18 month old that has stuck and now my daughter will be the 3rd grandchild to call her that.

At first i was dead against it i always said my child would call her grandma but mil loves it is proud to be ranga. Its awkard when other people are around and i talk about the inlaws as i just say ranga and then have to explain why.

FYI she does have curly red hair (dyed) but loves it.

Edited for errors due to typing with one hand while having cuddles with sick bubba

Thanks
    Reviews
    My very own little ranga was born this morning as soon as I saw him I said to DF "oh my god he is a ranga".

All the red hair love threads on here lately meant I was delighted!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (08-06-2012),halloweendee  (09-06-2012)