+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think Natural red hair is absolutely gorgeous!!

As for the term "Ranga" I would never say it to someone, I'm naturally blonde and I use to hate the "blonde" comments.
    But I can understand friendly jokes about it that involve no offense, but I don't think I would intentionally make such comment about someone's appearance.

I really don't understand what all the fuss is when it comes to Red hair..
    I'm a hairdresser and people pay big $$$ to go bright red or have Copper hair like Nichole Kidman.. But if someone is naturally red it's seen as a laughing matter...

I adore natural red hair as it has so many high and low lights that no dye can fully replicate, and to be blessed with the complexion that comes with red hair.. I would die for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    I have wog kids and don't find the term offensive. I call them hairy greasy little wogs all the time haha.

If you find it offensive, tell the person that its not on and you don't like the term- otherwise, how is someone to know?
    lol I didn't know wog was offensive until bubhub a while back - I freaked out and checked I'd not been offending my DF for the last 5 years.. he didn't realise either. in his mind "Wog" is a compliment because wogs are awesome.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 red heads and on occasion people have called them Rangas. It hasn't been particularly upsetting. There are plenty of other things to be more concerned about than being called a Ranga.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm still confused about the term 'wog'. In England that would be an absolute no - on a par with the 'n' word or 'paki' for how racist it is. Over here I know it's used more commonly, and not used that way.

I still jump when I hear it though, as after 26 years of it having that connotation (which is how old I was when I moved to Australia), it's hard to see it differently! My normal reaction is to be shocked, then remember it's not seen as that offensive here and relax, and then wonder if it is offensive or not! Haven't figured it out...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw a bumper sticker yesterday which said I love ranga , I didn't even know what it meant till I saw this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    booby that is how my kids take ranga, they think they are special. Even my 18yr old.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'm still confused about the term 'wog'. In England that would be an absolute no - on a par with the 'n' word or 'paki' for how racist it is. Over here I know it's used more commonly, and not used that way.

I still jump when I hear it though, as after 26 years of it having that connotation (which is how old I was when I moved to Australia), it's hard to see it differently! My normal reaction is to be shocked, then remember it's not seen as that offensive here and relax, and then wonder if it is offensive or not! Haven't figured it out...
    I think it's a generational thing. My father immigrated to Australia from Greece when he was 15 in the 60s, and he was treated very badly at school. The word "wog" to him is an absolute no-no; it evokes very painful memories because it was used to degrade and humiliate him.

However to many people who have grown up in Australia, the word "wog" is a way of acknowledging their heritage and identifying themselves as part of a cultural group. While people like my father frantically tried to assimilate and hide their differences, many members of later generations feel pride in the differences their culture brings them, and have embraced "wog" as a bit of a badge of honour.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (08-06-2012),Guest654  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Because it's said with love, your intention is not to demean or belittle her.

As I said, I don't consider "ranga" any more offensive than "carrot-top"; there's nothing inherently bad about carrots, yet if the name is used to taunt someone then it becomes offensive.

That's why it makes no sense to me to use the name on your child to desensitise them; if someone on the playground wants to hurt your child with words, then this is the issue... not the particular words they use. If your child is used to "ranga" and doesn't react as hoped, they'll just find another name that works.
    So because we use the term "ranga" with my daughter we are demeaning and belittling her? In MY household it's said with immense love and affection. How is that different to a PP calling her child a monkey? It's just another term of endearment. I understand that you disagree, but it feels as though you are insinuating that those ppl in this thread who use it affectionately are intentionally demeaning or belittling their children and that is not a fair representation

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think most people consider "ranga" an affectionate term, my niece has a tinge of red in her hair, an her parents call her their "little ranga baby". I personally love red hair, a lot of people i know love red hair. I'd love a "ranga" baby. They def don't think she looks like a monkey

I understand where the word "ranga" comes from, but these days, i've only really ever seen people use it as an affectionate word. I grew up with blonde hair that was (and still pretty much is) always in long ringlets - i've heard every blonde joke you can imagine. Redhead's aren't the only hair colour that has derogatory comments made about it. Kids are always going to get teased by something, thats life. As people have already said on here, dark haired kids can get called "wogs" and that term has been around for a long time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    The expression "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything" comes to mind.
    i think the misunderstanding comes from the fact that for a lot of people, the word ranga isn't derogatory. so when you have some people saying it's okay, but a select few that don't, what do you do?

i personally don't comment about anyone's appearance, and teach my kids not to do so as well. i suffered for years with anorexia and was always told by complete strangers that i was too skinny, sick looking etc.

unfortunately in australia we tend to be big on the nicknames though, and (as i posted before) they tend to be about a person's appearance. hubby gets called bluey as well.
    and (as i also said before) i think it is up to the person.
    i agree that if you don't know the person you should just keep your mouth shut.