+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    Calm down. A lot of things people do don't make sense. Still happens though. And we DO use derogatory terms as defining labels all. the. time.
    People only use derogatory adjectives when they have a limited understanding of language.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

swizzlestick  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i suppose i never thought of ranga as having negative connotations. i have freckles and was called freckle face at school, didn't care....

but it is getting to the point where people should basically shut up in public and not comment on anything, for fear of offending SOMEONE.

there are posts about people being offended by mistaking the gender of their baby, the size of their baby bump etc. so from conception, through birth, childhood, adulthood, nobody should have nicknames or comment about another person? surely it is up to the individual to decide whether to take it offensively or not?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Ash1202  (07-06-2012),diesal444  (07-06-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well yes regarding ones appearance, unless asked to comment. Everyone should shut up.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (07-06-2012),MissMuppet  (07-06-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The expression "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything" comes to mind.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-06-2012),Guest654  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Never used the word ranga..never really heard people say it..I would say red head kid..if i was trying to point out a kid I was talking about..just like I would say blonde..brown etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    People only use derogatory adjectives when they have a limited understanding of language.
    Probably, but not always.
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 07-06-2012 at 13:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have wog kids and don't find the term offensive. I call them hairy greasy little wogs all the time haha.

If you find it offensive, tell the person that its not on and you don't like the term- otherwise, how is someone to know?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

diesal444  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Mmm perhaps YOU do.... Not in our house we don't!!!Pointing out a persons differences unless a compliment is NOT ok at all!!And thats what i'll be teaching my sons, not by telling them, by making a conscious effort never to do it myself
    I'm saying people use derogatory language all the time. When it suits them and probably with out even knowing sometimes. The other day there was a thread on Chrissy Swans kid. People were calling her kid fat, then they were calling her fat etc. you don't think that's derogatory? Or deeply hurtful? How is that different from calling a red head a Ranga. Just using this as one example of how people do it all the time.
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 07-06-2012 at 13:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    but it is getting to the point where people should basically shut up in public and not comment on anything, for fear of offending SOMEONE.

there are posts about people being offended by mistaking the gender of their baby, the size of their baby bump etc. so from conception, through birth, childhood, adulthood, nobody should have nicknames or comment about another person? surely it is up to the individual to decide whether to take it offensively or not?
    I don't get why people feel the need to comment on a lot of this stuff?

Why do you (general you, not 'you' you) need to tell a pregnant woman that her bump is big or small?

Why do you need to make up nicknames about someone's appearance, when you don't know them that well/ haven't been told it's okay by them to do so?

Why comment on someone's appearance at all unless pointing them out in a crowd, describing them to someone else, or being asked by that person what you think?

I don't get it. Most of it seems pretty common sense to me, and it doesn't seem hard.

(I think the thread about being offended by people getting the baby's sex wrong was a light hearted vent, rather than an actual 'I'm offended' thread. I think it was more like "The baby is ALL in frilly pink! How could you mistake it?")

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (07-06-2012)

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just don't get how people think it is ok to comment on someones appearance in a less than flattering way! On what planet is it ok (especially for an adult) to pick on a childs physical appearance, something they can't change about themselves and cause low self esteem and body issues. Whether it be their hair colour, weight, skin colour, height. It's not nice. We wouldn't accept it from one adult to another so why is it acceptable to say it to a child

17. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (07-06-2012)