+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm loud and proud of my chubba bubba, my puddin princess, her gorgeous fat rolls. I show people. posted a nudie photo of her on Facebook. I brag about her size and weight. cos she's a giant. <3 every little fat roll and knuckle dimple came from my breast milk. so there's no "pointing out negative attributes" I'm openly bragging about how good I am at growing a baby

As for ranga. It's not a term I use or was even familiar with till recently. I'd thought at first it derived from "orange" ... which... isn't orangutan derived from orange anyway? (I'd assume so?)

but I wouldn't refer to someone else or their child unless they do first.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I agree WCM. It's actually pretty easy to phase out among kids. I remember singing "one, two, three, four, catch a n!gger by the toe" I had no idea what the word even meant nor why it was in the song but I promptly stopped after my dad heard me singing it and explained to me why it's not a nice thing to sing.

I've noticed the kids nowadays sing the same song but with tiger/butterfly

Children pick it all up from adults. Kids don't know what ranga means, if they say it they have heard it from a parent/other adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to say "nicker" genuinely thought it was about catching a thief. (cos that makes way more sense as a kid. I'm sure my parents were happy to not correct me!)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I used to say "nicker" genuinely thought it was about catching a thief.
    Me too!

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to say 'knicker'. I thought it was rude because it was about underwear

Mum encouraged me to say 'tiger'.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Benji  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I'm loud and proud of my chubba bubba, my puddin princess, her gorgeous fat rolls. I show people. posted a nudie photo of her on Facebook. I brag about her size and weight. cos she's a giant. <3 every little fat roll and knuckle dimple came from my breast milk. so there's no "pointing out negative attributes" I'm openly bragging about how good I am at growing a baby

I get what you're saying, but I think there's a difference between doing it as a baby, and doing it when the child is slightly older.

As WCM said, there are many of these family 'cute' nicknames that can really stick with us and hurt us when we're older.

I also think that whatever you decide to do with your own kids, it shouldn't be something that you then do with other kids/ other adults. (I don't mean 'you' - that was a generic 'you'.)

E.g., I wouldn't refer to someone else's child being chubby, in that example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElastiGirl View Post
    Calm down. A lot of things people do don't make sense. Still happens though. And we DO use derogatory terms as defining labels all. the. time.
    Mmm perhaps YOU do.... Not in our house we don't!!!
    Pointing out a persons differences unless a compliment is NOT ok at all!!
    And thats what i'll be teaching my sons, not by telling them, by making a conscious effort never to do it myself

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

swizzlestick  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a ranga, as is my DS2, and we use the phrase and take no offense to it at all. Why would you assume a negative connotation with the use of the term?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    I am a ranga, as is my DS2, and we use the phrase and take no offense to it at all. Why would you assume a negative connotation with the use of the term?
    I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I will leap in and answer from my perspective, in an interrupting type fashion...

I don't think there is anything negative about red hair. I also don't think there is anything negative about being overweight or underweight (provided there are no health issues). However, unfortunately we live in a society where many people DO think there is something negative about those things. (And I use weight as an example - there are many other arbitrary things that we seem to have attached value to societally).

It is, unfortunately, often the case that people refer to red hair in a negative way, as has been the experience of many people in this thread.

So while I think it's possible to use words like 'ranga' in an affectionate way, I still think that they will often be interpreted as something negative.

Just as many people use 'chubba' in an affectionate way, because we know that usually it is a negative comment, it is not usually seen as a compliment.

Hope that makes sense?

For what it's worth, I think red hair can be absolutely stunning, and I think a lot of people agree with that when they see someone with it. It just seems to have become an insult, but not one that people really mean, if that makes sense. It's a bit of a lazy insult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess1889 View Post
    Can I ask the people who think ranga is offensive because it is essentially comparing your child to that of an orangutan, I call my dd "my little monkey" as a nickname (she has brown hair....but then again so do monkeys) and I AM calling her a monkey when I say that yet nobody finds that offensive. Why?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    AS Ana said, you are calling her a nickname, if you were calling her that because she was hairy, or had a tail then i would understand the connection, but thats not the case here, so you calling your child a little monkey is totally different from people calling my child an Orangutan

Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    in the playground children are always going to call each other names, usually based on some type of physical appearance. whether it is their hair color, skin color, body type, height......
    where do you draw the line?
    and because some people find it offensive, should it be 'banned'? what about the people who use the term endearingly....
    and i can't believe some posters are equating the word ranga with the n word. worlds apart
    Where do we draw the line? I would draw the line at complete strangers likening my child to an Orangutan. If all the Adults on this site stopped calling my child a Ranga, their children would learn that some people dont find it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    I am a ranga, as is my DS2, and we use the phrase and take no offence to it at all. Why would you assume a negative connotation with the use of the term?
    Because it is likening my child to an animal.

I wouldnt walk up to a strangers child (chubby) and say "ooh, what a cute little hippo". So why do you(in general) think its ok to walk up and call my child a Ranga (short for Orangutan)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

babycake  (07-06-2012)