+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Whooping cough

I am 33 weeks along now with my first I have had a horrible chest infection the last week or so and today my sister who's also sick got a call from her dr saying she has whooping cough I spend a lot of time with her, I went to the dr straight away to get a blood test but won't no results till tomorrow or day after,
    Any one have any experience with this or advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they also do a swab of the back of your nose/throat? A swab can come back positive before a blood test will - I had WC when DD was 3 months old and I (and the Dr!) originally thought it was a chest infection.

I have no advice in regards to being pregnant with WC but hopefully someone else will. I know that once you have had a course of the antibiotics you are deemed as no longer being contagious but I don't know if it is possible to have them whilst pregnant or what affect the WC may have on your baby.

What did your Dr say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just had whooping cough and I'm 32 weeks pregnant. It's a horrible thing to have hey!

They can give you antibiotics, I think they are the category b ones?? I did a 10 day course instead of the usual 5. Just get lots of rest if you can. There isn't much you can do for the actual cough though. Cough medicine does nothing. Hot showers/steam helps a fair bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini85 View Post
    I just had whooping cough and I'm 32 weeks pregnant. It's a horrible thing to have hey!

They can give you antibiotics, I think they are the category b ones?? I did a 10 day course instead of the usual 5. Just get lots of rest if you can. There isn't much you can do for the actual cough though. Cough medicine does nothing. Hot showers/steam helps a fair bit.
    What doesit feel like??? I have this horrible cough sometimes I struggle to get breath cos I feel like I'm so blocked up.
    I did have the vacc 2 1/2 yrs ago

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess you can still get it after being vaccinated though? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I had the vaccine 15 years ago and never had a booster so I'm not sure if that's why I got it.

Mine started as a cold for 3 days, then this horrible barking cough that wouldn't go away. I coughed so much I threw up every time. And I wet myself mind you, cause my bladder sucks being pregnant haha. I guess you just cough so much it's hard to get your breath back. Which is why poor kids find it hard to breathe and they get that whoop sound.

I still have the cough now after about 4 weeks. No where near as bad, but it lingers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The vaccine is only about 80% effective, there is a new strain about that is not covered by the vax at all unfortunately.

Did the doctor say they were going to give you some anti b's?

I didn't have it when pregnant, but I had it as an adult, and I was misdiagnosed so I wasn't treated and they found out 9 weeks into it. It was awful. I was really sick for about 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini85 View Post
    I guess you can still get it after being vaccinated though? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I had the vaccine 15 years ago and never had a booster so I'm not sure if that's why I got it.

Mine started as a cold for 3 days, then this horrible barking cough that wouldn't go away. I coughed so much I threw up every time. And I wet myself mind you, cause my bladder sucks being pregnant haha. I guess you just cough so much it's hard to get your breath back. Which is why poor kids find it hard to breathe and they get that whoop sound.

I still have the cough now after about 4 weeks. No where near as bad, but it lingers.
    Oh dear ... Perhaps I should go to the doc ... I throw up every day from coughing ... I feel like it is related to the flem coming from my sinus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just kinda feels like a really chesty kinda cough and yeah coughing so much you can throw up at first I put it down to morning sickness and my stomach not being that strong, I should find out soon though, it's 1.40am and I'm up worrying about it I was vaccinated and had the booster in march last year,
    My doctor said he had one guy come in that had been vaccinated and got it twice! So I guess nothing's that strong
    But I'm terrified of everything of bubbas that I have touched getting his room ready and bringing him into a house that has had it, my sister most likely got it from my nieces and we are all a very close family so even if some ones just carrying it when his born, its easy to say I'm terrified being a first time mum I am hoping I'm worrying over nothing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still waiting for the call, I'm honestly soo angry with my dr and midwife,
    My normal dr brushed me off didn't even take my temp or blood pressure or anything just said "yeh colds going around ATM" and rushed me off
    Midwife didnt care
    Few days after I saw them I was strugglen to breath and was so sick so went to a local medical center they gave me some antibiotics and a cough suppressant cough syrup
    And now to find out it may be whooping cough makes me want to call my original dr and scream at him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by my doctor and mothersafe when I called to enquire about the vaccine while pregnant that having whooping cough while pregnant doesn't affect your baby at all. The only problems that can arise is if you have it when in contact with your baby after birth. I hope you feel better soon!