+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Providing you fit the criteria you can get medicare rebated speech therapy and/or public speech therapy if your DS hasn't turned 4 before the initial appointment with the GP. My DS was the same, he's been goign to ST for a long time now and it's improved incredibly. PM me if you want to know more information.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He goes to daycare and has a few little friends that he sees every few weeks or so. Thanks guys for your advice has made me feel heaps better

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Providing you fit the criteria you can get medicare rebated speech therapy and/or public speech therapy if your DS hasn't turned 4 before the initial appointment with the GP. My DS was the same, he's been goign to ST for a long time now and it's improved incredibly. PM me if you want to know more information.
    I'll pm u in the morning just doing dinner ATM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be a little worried at that age.

My 25 month old ds is saying things like 'No mummy I sit in my chair'.

I would go to my gp and ask for a referral to a paed/speech therapist.

Hope he's just a little behind and it's not too hard to fix xx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012),Zombie_eyes  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your little boy sounds like he has a really beautiful nature. I don't know much about ages and development and what's 'normal' and what's not, but I do know that all kiddies are different and do things at different times. It's great that you are getting him checked out, but try not to worry!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ChocMilk For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My son was what I consider a late talker, he said no more than 8 words until a month before his 2nd birthday. Then literally overnight the sentences just came flooding out.

Bc of that I have, in the past had a tendency to suggest in these sort of threads to wait and see. But a thread by DE that has special needs kids made me realise not all kids are like my son. So.... I say go get him checked out. IF there is something going on the later you get diagnosed the longer he has to catch back up to his peers.

OP do you think something is amiss? (I don't like to say something wrong bc there is nothing wrong with kids with developmental/sensory issues they are just different).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012),Zombie_eyes  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would definitely get him assessed by a speech therapist. My son was assessed at just before 2, and then at 3, and from memory at the assessment at 3, the expectation was much more than 2-word sentences.

the speech therapists do fun activity with the kids, and give you activities etc, and it wasn't an unpleasant process at all, so definitely not daunting.

eta: they normally suggest you get hearing tested as well to rule out that as an issue. I did it privately (was about $90) but it was available through the hospital as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would definately get him checked out.

My DS is ahead for his age 3 years 5 months, and pretty much speaks like an adult.

It might be nothing, but if it is something, early intervention is best.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what everyone else has suggested. It would also be advisable to have a hearing test done and his ears checked by his dr, as things like glue ear and ear infections are common causes of speech delays in toddlers/preschoolers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My son was what I consider a late talker, he said no more than 8 words until a month before his 2nd birthday. Then literally overnight the sentences just came flooding out.

Bc of that I have, in the past had a tendency to suggest in these sort of threads to wait and see. But a thread by DE that has special needs kids made me realise not all kids are like my son. So.... I say go get him checked out. IF there is something going on the later you get diagnosed the longer he has to catch back up to his peers.

OP do you think something is amiss? (I don't like to say something wrong bc there is nothing wrong with kids with developmental/sensory issues they are just different).
    I'm not sure if I thing there is something not quite right or it's just because what our family has been thro (his dad became very verbally abusive towards me while waiting to get brain surgery when DS was about 1, his dad has now fixed him self and we are all very happy again, he wasn't like that before he went on a waiting list to have surgery. When he was on the list he wasn't aloud to work n be left alone for safety issues to him self and the kids if he was holding them, he has seizures and there was no sign they just happened. I think this may have caused it. His dad is so guilty about what he did and put everyone thro. I left him when it got to bad and before I got back with him made him prove he had cleaned his act up which he has now. An his surgery went well) I'm just so insure.