+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Speaking in a 3.2 yr old.

My DS can only just put words together, when he does he says the word has a gap then the next word. I don't recall him saying more then 2 words at a time. He mumbles a lot. And sometimes dosnt understand basic things. You have to repeat and repeat and then he gets the idea. The day care ladies think his a little behind but that's all. Could it be something else? His norm a very well mannered little man. Says please thanks and sorry, asks of your alright if ur hurt or upset. His a blessing. But for some reason I'm starting to think maybe there might be something there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How old is he??

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    3yrs 2 months

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    By that age he should be saying more than two worded sentences.

It cant hurt to get it checked out.

A little behind can turn into quite behind pretty quickly the older he gets.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (06-06-2012),Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like he could have a speech delay, I'd get referral to the paed also, I referred my son to the local hospital community health unit for a speech assessment. It just got the ball rolling faster instead of waiting months to see the paed and then months to see the speechy etc.

If you think there is something there, then its best to get checked out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd definitely be looking in to that. My DS2 is 3yr 1 month and I'd be very concerned. He talks in full sentences with lots of descriptive words.
    Well done for being pro active and good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. I will organise a appt at our gp to get a referral

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are so many language things it could be, my ds#1 has expressive receptive language disorder. They have the words there they just cant get them out.

Your little guy is pausing and then saying the next word, its possible he is searching and its taking longer, to get out, not fluent etc.

Nothing to be freaked out about. My guy went from mumbling, not making sense, saying stuff in the wrong sequence etc, after 1 year of speech therapy (lots of work at home too) a lot of people thought he was just a bit immature in his language,and suprised there was a disorder there.

Get you name on all the waiting lists asap

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-06-2012),Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS will be 3 in August and he will put more than two words together. He will say things like "First we have dinner and then lolly"...lol
    It wouldn't hurt to look into it, better now than before he is pre school/ school age.

In saying that, sometimes he does pause or stutter while he is thinking of the right word.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 3 next month, he does only 2 word sentences sometimes 3. The words aren't clear either

We did 8 months of speech therapy when he turned 2 he was saying about 30 words not clearly and he said 2 new words. The he started daycare 3 days a week and has stared putting 2 words together.

Try to make him ask for things and don't give him what he wants until he attempts the word. Does he spend time around other children? Playgroups may help

16. The Following User Says Thank You to daysta112 For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (06-06-2012)