+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cuddles,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you're feeling encouraged and more positive

If it is a lactose intolerance then that's much more simple than a protein intolerance or allergy. I haven't used it yet, but a probiotic for bubs will help with her digestive flora... Which will help her digest lactose (for when she does get it again). I haven't used it yet but one was recommended to me called 'baby biotic'. You can just put it in her bottles.

Also, I don't want to be negative but I just wanted to suggest that you take pleasure in subtle improvements and developments. As my ds was a poor sleeper from VERY early on, I was constantly looking for "it"... you know, the thing that would turn him into a textbook baby well I have never found "it", and I don't believe there is one anymore. Your dd has developed all sorts of behavioural associations with sleep because of her rocky start (like my little man) so don't be discouraged if sleep improvements are gradual and sometimes appear to be going backwards. Also, she might have a wakeful temperament and enjoy being very alert (my son!) She will become more settled, and hey, perhaps something will just click and she'll be a champion sleeper, but I guess I'm just saying to be open to the possibility that it might not happen like that so that you don't have to get yet another big kick to the guts if it's not that straightforward.

Hugs... I mean cuddles to you. I hope these changes are a real turning point for you and your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cuddles - sorry I've been off here for so long! I don't know about the taste of pepti jnr sorry. Neocate is foul. Nan HA Gold is cows milk based and definitely won't work as well as pepti jnr or neocate / elecare if your bubs is CMPI.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just read your last post cuddles and wanted to check in.

A couple of things - though facial rashes can be associated with CMPI, its more likely to be mucous or blood in the BMs. Lactose intolerance is extremely rare in babies this young - not impossible though but its a different ball game.

Be careful with early introduction of solids. It sometimes works but can also make things worse.

Solids (particularly something like rice cereal) can be a nightmare for refluxers (it was with mine). Here's why. If you give something akin to liquid concrete to a kid who already has a problem with moving things through the system, you'll get constipation and have more reflux. So the food that you give initially may be far more likely to come back up (because its more solid) but if it stays in the system longer and backs him up, the reflux will just get worse. So take care.

Maybe try puree pear or something first? Pear's a pretty low allergen and will move through fine. And don't be in a hurry to introduce it. ;-)

Hoping things have improved for you on the 20mg of Nexium.

Cheers

Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoMatthews View Post
    Just read your last post cuddles and wanted to check in.

A couple of things - though facial rashes can be associated with CMPI, its more likely to be mucous or blood in the BMs. Lactose intolerance is extremely rare in babies this young - not impossible though but its a different ball game.

Be careful with early introduction of solids. It sometimes works but can also make things worse.

Solids (particularly something like rice cereal) can be a nightmare for refluxers (it was with mine). Here's why. If you give something akin to liquid concrete to a kid who already has a problem with moving things through the system, you'll get constipation and have more reflux. So the food that you give initially may be far more likely to come back up (because its more solid) but if it stays in the system longer and backs him up, the reflux will just get worse. So take care.

Maybe try puree pear or something first? Pear's a pretty low allergen and will move through fine. And don't be in a hurry to introduce it. ;-)

Hoping things have improved for you on the 20mg of Nexium.

Cheers

Jo
    Hi Jo,

The 20mg of Nexium has done wonders! She's no longer in pain.

We went off the lactose free formula and she's on Karicare Aptamil Gold, but seems to be getting constipated on it.

She's on 2 meals a day and for breakfast has a fruit mix puree (apple, pear, banana - sometimes a mix of all, sometimes on their own) then a veg mix puree for lunch (either sweet potato and carrot or spinach, pea and brocoli) and I want to introduce a 3rd meal as she seems to get upset when I eat my dinner and she's not eating anything as well as that the paediatrician said to introduce a 3rd meal at 5.5 months, which she now is.

I rang the Karicare info line who suggested I try the HA Karicare which I'm willing to try if it helps her constipation and wind which seems to also have reappeared in the last week.

Her skin is also getting quite dry I've noticed, not sure why that is.

Jo, do you see any issue with making that change (new formula, and additional meal) reflux wise!?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sick of hearing - 'they'll grow out of it'

Apples and bananas (and potato) can cause constipation. I try and avoid them with my DS. I give him lactulose to help with constipation. Both my refluxers needed help once they started solids.
    Pears and stonefruit, and veggies with a high water content like zucchini and squash added into the mix help my DS.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

JoMatthews  (02-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cuddles,

So sorry I've been absent for a while. Won't bore you with our dramas!

Agree with what Cindye said re apple, banana & potato (wondering if we have the same paed gastro...) ;-)

Gotta say I'm a bit suspicious of the formula. If the skin is being affected there may be a mild intolerance going on - maybe even to soy?? Soy's notorious for causing skin issues. (as a kid, the prescription formula they offered to kids who were CMPI ie me was soy - consequently I had shocking infantile eczema and still have appalling skin). But I digress.

If its not too bad though, I'd talk to the doc about a small amount of laxative to keep things moving. Often these kids have a weak peristalsis function (nerves that send messages to the brain to keep things moving from top to tail) and so they're just not as efficient at moving stuff through. There's a really high correlation between adult reflux and IBS sufferers for instance.

Anyway, I could bore for Australia on the subject so will stop and try and get some sleep!

Jo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sick of hearing - 'they'll grow out of it'

Hi Jo,

Sorry I didn't see your reply til today!!!

GP said her eczema looked like it was a hereditary eczema and I have seasonal eczema so she told me a cortisone free cream to try on her face and it's now clearing up!

Interesting about the apple, I see so many of those packet purées, though they don't say apple on the front, the ingredients clearly state there is, so I'll not use those and I'll make my own more too.

Does sweet potato count as potato and add to constipation?

She's had a combination of runny poo and thick solid poo, so I don't want to give her the runs. Are there any good online resources or books to give good combinations to keep babies regular?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    mines 6 and a half years of age and she never grew out of it i got told things would get better at 3 months then 4 then 6 then 12, then 18 months then 2 years after that people stopped saying stupid things to me