+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2 of my babies have had dairy and soy intolerance.
    The biggest giveaway is that bub's poo will have mucous and/or blood in it.
    Milk allergy (which is different to intolerance) will result in an immune system response- hives/ eczema, snotty nose, itchy eyes, etc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Missabubble  (22-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cuddles,

Your journey sounds very similar to mine. DS is 21 weeks. I soooo get the issues with wind, crazy poo, reflux, rashes...

I'll share a bit of our story with you in the hopes that it's some help.

For about about 9/10 weeks now I've been on an elimination diet. No dairy, soy, eggs, nuts. Within a week of this, heaps of positive changes. Less wind and tummy pain, less night waking, improved day sleep, eczema began to recede, poos became more normal than I'd seen them look since he was about 6weeks, he was able to poo and it wasn't a big deal!! His feeding became less frantic because he wasn't relying on it to get a poo out. (Often he would be trying to poo for a whole day and when it finally came out, usually middle of night or early morning, it was pure liquid.) Doing dietary challenges confirmed that his little system
    can't have any of the above. I've had a few accidental slip ups and it's a full week or so before his poos start to look normal again and he stops waking so much over night.

Just recently I thought I was going to have to wean. He expects the breast to be a tap at all times and won't drain it properly. I was worried that he wasn't getting enough. I made him some formula (a back up tin the paed gave me) and he downed it. After having the bottle he was even less persistent on the breast. Fast forward a week or so and he now rejects the formula. Won't touch it! I am so happy though because he has a bit more persistence for breast again. From the formula his eczema got worse and he chucked way more. His acid reflux also returned even though he is still on zantac. Formula, even hypoallergenic, doesn't seem to be the answer for DS.

However, I now have 6 cans of elecare LCP and 7 of regular elecare that we can't use! With an authority script from paed it's $35.40 for 8 tins. Without it's $367.86...yikes!

Hypoallergenic formula seems to do the trick for most babies with these issues. Not for mine I guess.

Anyway, I've blabered on a bit. Sorry! If you keep breastfeeding (but remove things from your diet) and can get some hypoallergenic formula (I saw that you combination feed), then if your dd does have the same issues then you will have a much happier bubs.

I'm sorry this is so long!!
    Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cuddles,

Sounds like you're getting some good advice here.

For a few of you, its worth knowing that alot of these kids will still be constipated even if they're still pooing. Often if its really liquidy poo, they've getting overflow diahhorea - ie there are harder chunks stuck in the bowel and all that's getting through is the liquid. You need a doc to feel the tum and work out if they're still full or not. I know mine was pooing like a champion (with pain & wind etc) but when the paed gastro examined her he said that she was still chockers (and had an elongated and kinked bowel - but I digress). Put her on a laxative and the amount that came out of her was truly horrific. But it settled down and so did she.

On the subject of wind and painful pooing associated with CMPI (cows milk protein intolerance - its about protein intolerance not lactose - lactose is sugar and babies don't usually have issues with it, if they're going to develop them, til much later). About 2% of bubs are CMPI and about half of those are also soy intolerant.

You can buy pepti jnr and neocate over the counter - they're just expensive. Much cheaper on script (but hard to get on script because govt is reticent to subsidise them - paeds have to be in consultation with an allergist or paed gastro over your child to prescribe it - Neocate & Elecare, not Pepti Jnr). Pepti Jnr isn't broken down as much as neocate. Both are worth trying pre-appt with paed to be able to speak to the results. Its hard to get them to take Neocate coz its revolting. Add some gripewater or vanilla essence at the beginning to void the taste a bit.

That said, breast is best for these bubs. I had useless supply and my bubba was too small to suck properly so I gave it away (probably too early) but I've since learned that they break down breast milk so much easier than formula or any type. But it means a strict elminiation diet as others have outlined here.

For more chat on this:
    https://www.facebook.com/Reflux.Infa...ssociation.Inc
    www.reflux.org.au

Great books for your info:
    Reflux Reality (Australian based, great advice by reg nurse who had 3 very severe reflux and also suffers with it herself)
    Colic Solved (by Texan paed gastro)

Hope this helps

Jo Matthews
    President
    Reflux Infants Support Association

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Jo does pepti jnr taste better than neocate? And is it more broken down than Nan HA Gold (which is what I'm currently using).

Ta!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry two more questions if anyone knows...

1. How is Zantac administered? Is it the same as losec or is it a liquid? Why would one be prescribed over another?

2. DD won't sleep past 1 sleep cycle since Wednesday lunchtime (night and day). In the day she'll scream when she wakes up and won't settle in her basinette with me rocking or patting her but will sleep if I hold her. Would this be because of her reflux and wind or a behavioural thing (is she having a wonder week - she's 16 weeks tomorrow).
    I don't want to set up a sleep association from holding her every time she wakes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlesAwait View Post
    Sorry two more questions if anyone knows...

1. How is Zantac administered? Is it the same as losec or is it a liquid? Why would one be prescribed over another?

2. DD won't sleep past 1 sleep cycle since Wednesday lunchtime (night and day). In the day she'll scream when she wakes up and won't settle in her basinette with me rocking or patting her but will sleep if I hold her. Would this be because of her reflux and wind or a behavioural thing (is she having a wonder week - she's 16 weeks tomorrow).
    I don't want to set up a sleep association from holding her every time she wakes.
    Zantac is a liquid. My babies have been prescribed both. Losec reduces the amount of acid the stomach produces and Zantac neutralizes it.

As far as the sleeping goes- if she's happy to sleep upright against you, it could be the reflux...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, she's flat in my arms.

I wonder if Zantac can be given alone. DD still spits out most of the Losec.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jo, which paed gastro did you see?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently read a post on bubhub in which the poster suggested 'BabyBiotic'.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ic-Wind-issues

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

Just an update on DD. We got in early to see the paed today and I feel so much better now!

We are checking a few things

1. Now giving Nexium for her reflux and 20 mgs a day instead of 5 of Losec - he couldn't believe how low her dose was!

2. We started giving her lactose free formula and I cut dairy out of my diet (as I'm mix feeding - 1-2 breastfeeding in 24 hours, the rest formula) so he's said to continue on with that and to give up the breastfeeding (upon advice that's my ultimate goal) to see if it was a lactose intollerance.

3. Take a urine sample from her to test for / rule out a urinary tract infection.

4. Stop sleeping her in her basinette and slowly stop wrapping her and have her in her cot so she has more room and up on a lean at the head (which we do with her

5. Once she is 4 months start her on some cereal (unsure what that is exactly or where to get it or how to feed it to her.

So if she's purely on lactose free formula and on the new reflux drug, doesn't have a UTI she should fingers crossed start to feel better and hopefully sleep better.

If there's still a problem we can re look at her symptoms and see if maybe its something else. He pretty much ruled out a milk protein allergy as she doesn't seem to have a rash anywhere other than her face.

She's also really healthy otherwise. It was good to see him check her out fully and take our concerns seriously and have a few options to see what's really wrong with her and not just fob us off or leave us to let her 'grow out of it'

I hope the new drugs work and I'm actually really excited about making the other changes (I've been hoping to start sleeping her unwrapped and in her own cot for ages now, so now is as good a time as any!)

If anything I feel more relaxed about her sleep patterns too. Everything is interrelated and I can see a solution in sight!! Fingers crossed!!!