+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I get my ds losec compounded iinto a liquid by a compounding pharmacy. Unfortunately we are still struggling at times with reflux and ds is 1 yr old. Unfortunatly it is one of those things that they will hopefully grow out of. Hugs its a tough road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went / am going through this. I knew something was wrong but kept getting told the same thing. I put my son on s26 ar and went to the dr and she also prescribed losec which I get made into a liquid at a compounding pharmacy . So far so good!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Liquid Losec is actually a compounded version of the same thing - only available from compounding pharmacies. (They're the ones who make up the meds behind the counter).

BUT suspension Losec often doesn't work as well as the dissolved tablets AND its expensive. It's not on the PBS and its about $80 a bottle. We used to got through one a week. Not good.

You can find a compounding pharmacist near you here http://www.pharmacies.com.au/directo...ng-pharmacies/

Take care with Losec tablets. They must be dissolved (not crushed) and administered quickly after being dissolved. They are made up of small granules that must remain in tact until they reach the tummy to be effective. If you leave them to "dissolve" on the bench for ages, you'll see that they turn a dark colour. Its supposed to do that in the tummy not on the bench. More info on www.reflux.org.au

Hope this helps someone.

Jo Matthews
    President
    Reflux Infants Support Association

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I second a Chiro.

No medication side-effects to worry about.

My son was a changed boy once he had been to one at 3 months of age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chiros are great but doesn't always work with reflux. I see one regularly but we tried it (and I still take her occasionally for a check) as did my sister with her one but I don't think it helps with the severe cases. Fixed her neck and hip though!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoMatthews For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What does the chiro do that helps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a strong believer in Chiro......it's a personal thing. Some people don't believe in it! You can only try it out and see if it makes any difference! If it doesn't do anything for you then at least you tried! I personally believe it made a big difference for DD but she didn't have reflux ....she had torticolos - a stiff neck and flat head basically hehe. I have had friends that swear by it for reflux though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What can you say about your daughter's tummy? Is she windy, gassy, struggling to poo...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, first of all to you! I had the same issues with Reflux and a screaming, non sleeping, spewing, non-weight gaining baby and boy was it hard.
    I was also prescribed losec for my DD and had problems giving it to her. But once she had been on it a couple of weeks it really, really helped. So persevere with it for a couple of weeks if you can, it takes a few days to work. We also gave mylanta (check with your pharmacist re dose cos I cant remember) a couple of times a day and that really helps as it coats the stomach.
    With giving the losec we got a small syringe, opened it (take the plunger out), put the tablet in, put the plunder back then suck up some water and gently shake. Giving it to her was a 2 person job too, one to hold her head and one to syringe it, but it had to be done. 3 weeks later she was a different baby.
    The spewing didnt stop until about 7-8 months when well established on solids, but the screaming and the not sleeping stopped once the medicine worked and we felt like we were human again!
    I hope you work it out soon. Best of luck and you dont have to accept no help, if a doc doesnt help you, try another one, your little one shouldnt have to suffer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JoMatthews View Post
    Hi,

Liquid Losec is actually a compounded version of the same thing - only available from compounding pharmacies. (They're the ones who make up the meds behind the counter).

BUT suspension Losec often doesn't work as well as the dissolved tablets AND its expensive. It's not on the PBS and its about $80 a bottle. We used to got through one a week. Not good.

You can find a compounding pharmacist near you here http://www.pharmacies.com.au/directo...ng-pharmacies/

Take care with Losec tablets. They must be dissolved (not crushed) and administered quickly after being dissolved. They are made up of small granules that must remain in tact until they reach the tummy to be effective. If you leave them to "dissolve" on the bench for ages, you'll see that they turn a dark colour. Its supposed to do that in the tummy not on the bench. More info on www.reflux.org.au

Hope this helps someone.

Jo Matthews
    President
    Reflux Infants Support Association
    We get ours on PBS for my one year old an did six years ago for one of my older kids too