+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sick of hearing - 'they'll grow out of it'

Hi,

My baby since birth (she will be 14 weeks old in 2 days time.) hasn't been a great sleeper or feeder. In the last 3 weeks her feeding has gotten worse as she always fusses and pulls off the breast and then screams in pain for at least half an hour afterwards.

I keep reading and hearing everyone say - it's not forever they'll grow out of it - argh! My baby is in pain and isn't feeding or sleeping well - which surely can't be good for her mental or physical development!

I complained about that to my doctor who finally put her on Losec last Friday saying it is probably silent refulux.

Well now I have the losec, I can't feed it to her! I've tried different syringes, a dropper and different sized spoons, but she spits most of it out.

I was advised to break up half a tablet and disolve it in water, but I wasn't told how much water.

So after my rant there, I'd like to know - is it something she will grow out of??? If so when? I keep hearing 12 to 14 weeks (well that's now) and also how else can I prepare and give her losec, it's never going to work and make her feel better if she doesn't swallow it!

Thanks for your replies!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD was about 14mo (yes MONTHS) when she finally stopped throwing up - but was older before the reflux finally settled down

Go back to your GP or MHN and get a referral to a paed. or some better advise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They do grow out of it but each baby is different so nobody can tell you when.
    Try keeping bubby elevated and as still as possible after a feed. I put thick encyclopedia's under the top 2 cot legs to tilt it and kept them wrapped up tight.
    You can also add thickener to EBM.

Once I lost my milk after being sick I put the girls on S26 Anti Reflux formula and it was fantastic, I wouldn't do that unless necessary though.
    Hope you both get some relief soon!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would suggest some infacol tbh. Its worth a try and seemed to work a treat with my DS2.

As for the losec, I would think the smallest amount of water possible to dissolve it in and then dribble it Into her mouth a bit at a time so there's not much to spit out.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS and one of my DD's are refluxers. My DD was pretty severe, and stayed on both Losec and Zantac until around 10 months old.
    DS is almost 7 months and we're starting to wean him off his medication at the moment. He was on Losec from 8 days old. Because our DD suffered so terribly, we were straight onto the medication as soon as he was showing signs of reflux.
    As for the Losec, use a nurofen syringe (the hole is a bit bigger than the others), separate the two pieces and put the half tab in. Draw up 3-4 ml of cooled, boiled water. The tab will disintegrate into little granules. Lay your DD on the ground and use one hand to "pinch" her mouth open. Tip nurofen syringe back and forth gently so the granules mix in and then put the syringe right back in the side of her mouth and give her a little bit, take the syringe out, tilt it a couple of times, then give a little more when she's swallowed. I think it takes me about 5-6 times to give it all. But keep moving the syringe otherwise the granules will block the hole. And draw in a little more water in the end if it seems like there are lots of granules left in the syringe.
    And keep "pinching" her cheeks so she can't spit it out!
    Until the Losec starts working (which could take a couple of weeks), you could try giving her some Mylanta (the regular stuff from the supermarket) when she's really unhappy. Just 1.5-2 ml should give her some instant relief. Make sure that you don't give it within 2 hrs either side of a Losec dose as it can reduce the effectiveness of the Losec.
    Once the Losec is working effectively you shouldn't need to use the Mylanta anymore.
    And the do grow out of it, I promise! Although my 2.4 yr old DD is still pretty good at vomiting on cue!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I suggest you take your DD to a chiropractor
    I was the same with my first daughter, and was fast getting sick of people telling me they grow out of it, when a complete angel popped into a thread I made out of desperation and suggested chiropractic care for my DD. It sounded daunting, but I figured I'd try ANYTHING. You know what? Best thing I ever did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We dissolve the losec in 1ml of pear juice on a spoon, then tip it into DS' mouth. He is used to it now and likes it. We tried water too, but this way works better as he likes the pear juice and it is so minimal so he hardly gets a sugar hit. The paed told us to do it this way.

No reflux episodes of screaming for two months now! Sleep has improved a lot too.

Good luck - it gets a bit better every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is two years old yes 2 years old and has just grown out of her reflux. In this time she went from a dose of 5 mg of Losec to 20 mg, this dose being an adult dose. I had people telling me the same thing - "she will grow out of it, by the time she is 12 weeks old it will be gone" well two years was a very long 12 weeks.

Fortunatley I am a nurse and my cousin is a paedatrician, so having good support and knowledge was of a added bonus with this dire disease.

My DD had a endoscopy with biopsy from a Paedatric Gastroenterologist last week and we are FINALLY reflux and medication free..

What people don't understand is that reflux just doesn't 'go away' ... it can be there for a short time or a long time... what other people in your life need to understand is that you need to do what is best for your baby....

I understand what you are going through, and I truly hope it is short lived... I would never wish what my DD and I have been through in the last two years on anyone....

PM me if you need an ear.. I totally get it

SG ♥

PS with the Losec it doesn't matter how much water you mix it with... just don't crush the tablet as it is enteric coated and needs to be disolved...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I'm new to Bub Hub but not new to reflux. I'm the President of the Reflux Infants Support Association (Australia-wide), and though there are some good tips on here for getting her to take her Losec, unfortunately no one can tell you that your little one will ever grow out of it.

Some, in fact most, do. Some don't. Mine has had reflux surgery, is still fed by PEG (button surgically inserted into her tummy) and she is still on reflux meds. She probably will be for her whole life. She had a hiatus hernia (where the top of the stomach doesn't close properly) and there's a history of reflux and gastro issues (IBS etc) in the family so she'll probably always have issues.

But even if it does become a life-long thing, it usually does get easier.

You Losec doses will take a little while to kick in but you usually will get a sense if it's going to work within a few days. She may need a higher dose and or she may need a combination of meds (like the addition of Zantac - different class of reflux drug but helps in combo with the Losec). In the mean time it is entirely acceptable to use panadol & / or mylanta.

Your baby is in pain - panadol will help with settling and feeding but it isn't a long term solution.

If it continues, please seek referrals to a paed who has experience with gut issues. If this doesn't work, seek a referral to a paed gastro.

In the mean time there is a lot of help and advice available to you online. RISA specifically has forums for members and lots of info at www.reflux.org.au (the info we've provided for bub hub is a summary of what's on our site). We're also on Facebook.

Really hoping things settle for you. It can be a long road and a very tiring one. My little one is 19 mths old and I got less than 4 hours sleep last night! But here's hoping you don't have to deal with that!!!! ;-)

Hugs to you. It is tough. Smile and nod at people who've not had a reflux bub. They are well meaning but don't know what they're talking about. Talk it through with people who've been there. It's the only way to stay sane. ;-)

Jo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoMatthews For This Useful Post:

CamD  (12-06-2012),surfergal  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can actually get liquid losec, they just don't often prescribe it as I've been told it can only be made up at major hospitals. Domperidone might be worth trying as well as losec (omeprazole) is the name of the liquid version