+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    About 2 -3 hours, is that normal?
    Hey Neekie, my eldest is almost 3yrs old but from memory he was up 2-2.5 hrs between sleeps. But all babies are different. His routine was something like this:
    -7ish wake
    - Around 9am put down to sleep (may sleep 1-2 hrs)
    - Up for feed, play etc
    - At around 1pm- OR 2-2.5hrs after he last woke up, put him down for another sleep
    - Feed, play etc
    - 5ish. A short nap (45 min - 1 hr)
    - Feed, play etc, bath, feed
    - 7ish bedtime

I remember we had NO routine until around 5-6 months if age

Look for tired signs such as;
    Yawning
    Red eyebrows
    Glazed/still expression (staring)
    Jerky movements
    Winging/crying might be the last straw that they are tired

Good luck x
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 07-06-2012 at 23:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's not about saying a
    Baby is abnormal, has failed or is anything less than wonderful.

It's about saying the behavior is not
    Normal. So parents can do
    Some tweaking to their routine and techniques, get some help from
    Others (eg sleep school), get some rest and have a rested bubba.

I repeat: bubs that don't sleep through are just as gorgeous and wonderful as those bubs that do!
    .... but the behaviour IS normal.

think about it... if the behaviour wasn't normal why would there be so many sleep experts, sleep schools, sleep books etc etc etc

Its totally normal for babies & toddlers to wake at night. And totally rule out cold, hot, sick, sore, tweak the "routine" - less sleep/more sleep during the day, more feeds etc etc etc...

But it is still totally normal baby behaviour to wake at night beyond 6 months. Its certainly desirable they sleep! But it's not required for them.

But I still totally support anyone seeking support because I'm not suggesting its easy.

Neekie - sorry none of this is aimed at you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (08-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    It's not the point whether it's normal or not. The OP is having a baby in December, she's worried about having a newborn that will need constant feeding and her getting up for that baby and is worried about having another baby who isn't sleeping well. If you have a baby getting up 6-7 times a night especially for a feed and then you have a newborn who requires the same amount what is she to do? Without her partner getting up also and both running on no sleep she needs to get the baby sleeping and you know what? Whether you like it or not sometimes the older child will be left to cry if you're tied up with other, it comes with having 2 so close in age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP I don't get why you are offended?

You've received some terrific responses and the vast majority are agreeing with you that a whingey, tired cry is okay for a limited period of time if that is your child's method of self settling. It seems that everyone is in agreement that hysterical, distressed crying is not okay as the overwhelming evidence suggests it can do some serious emotional damage over a prolonged period of time.

I can't see where anyone has made a personal attack, rather given their response to the question as they see fit.

Please don't take it personally, and of course you don't need to take the advice of a bunch of strangers on a forum. But you did ask.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (08-06-2012),wrena  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    It's not the point whether it's normal or not. The OP is having a baby in December, she's worried about having a newborn that will need constant feeding and her getting up for that baby and is worried about having another baby who isn't sleeping well. If you have a baby getting up 6-7 times a night especially for a feed and then you have a newborn who requires the same amount what is she to do? Without her partner getting up also and both running on no sleep she needs to get the baby sleeping and you know what? Whether you like it or not sometimes the older child will be left to cry if you're tied up with other, it comes with having 2 so close in age.
    The OP has said several times that this is a day sleep issue and there are no issues at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like someone's a bit cranky ! (because you didn't get enough sleep last night?)

To clarify. From 6 months a baby is capable of sleeping 10-12 hours. Many do. Some don't. It is
    Not normal for a baby to wake 5+
    Times per night.
    Do you know that in India and most Asian countries babies are toilet trained (no nappies) by 8/9 mths old.

Therefore I could say that ALL childrent are capable of being toileted/toilet trained by the same age and its ABNORMAL for your child to be in nappies past a 1yo.

My DD was fully TT by 18mths and I got heaps of grief from my family for my poor approach to parenting.

Would you like it if someone told you that you were doing a disservice to you child by still having them in the nappies past 1yo? Would you like the same person persistently telling you that you were doing the wrong thing?

Each child is different and normal encompasses a whole range of patterns. Just cos my DD is TT I do not expect your child to be the same. Nor do i expect my next bub to do the exact same thing.

Vent over!

(btw I do not expect all kids to be TT by 18mths - it was just an example of how kids are their own person)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like someone's a bit cranky ! (because you didn't get enough sleep last night?)

To clarify. From 6 months a baby is capable of sleeping 10-12 hours. Many do. Some don't. It is
    Times per night.

I've copied and pasted some links referencing this... So you can get a Freakin clue

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...2_months).html

http://www.babysleepsite.com/schedul...baby-schedule/

http://www.huggies.com.au/baby-care/sleep/patterns

http://www.*******.com.au/Baby-Baby-...42+article.htm
    Wow thanks sooo much for that copy and pasting you did.FYI its been a looongg time since I had a 6 month old,and I get plenty of sleep thanks

Again I will say,,,,TOTALLY NORMAL FOR BABIES TO WAKE 5 TIMES A NIGHT.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

share a book  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Do you know that in India and most Asian countries babies are toilet trained (no nappies) by 8/9 mths old.

Therefore I could say that ALL childrent are capable of being toileted/toilet trained by the same age and its ABNORMAL for your child to be in nappies past a 1yo.

My DD was fully TT by 18mths and I got heaps of grief from my family for my poor approach to parenting.

Would you like it if someone told you that you were doing a disservice to you child by still having them in the nappies past 1yo? Would you like the same person persistently telling you that you were doing the wrong thing?

Each child is different and normal encompasses a whole range of patterns. Just cos my DD is TT I do not expect your child to be the same. Nor do i expect my next bub to do the exact same thing.

Vent over!

(btw I do not expect all kids to be TT by 18mths - it was just an example of how kids are their own person)
    And by the same token, saying "my baby gets up 10 times a night and I'm fine with it, what are you complaining about.. its normal, if I can handle it you should be able to" arent people doing something very similar? Except we are talking about a mummy instead of a baby.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Times per night.

I've copied and pasted some links referencing this... So you can get a Freakin clue

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...2_months).html

http://www.babysleepsite.com/schedul...baby-schedule/

http://www.huggies.com.au/baby-care/sleep/patterns

http://www.*******.com.au/Baby-Baby-...42+article.htm
    here's my research...

... there's a few mothers in this conversation saying frequently waking at 6 months is normal because their healthy happy baby woke frequently after 6 months.

I didnt even need to Google.

But I'll say it again after each statement about "normal" behaviour that it's okay to not be okay and seek change.

But also be aware because it's normal you can't always change your babies natural sleeping habits. my 13 month old flunked sleep school and I was so much more grateful for those who said "aw that sucks! my toddler wakes heaps too!" (truthfully - I'm sure people like chels weren t pandering ) than those who told me well clearly it's MY fault that sleep school didn't work because of any number of awesome reasons people don't hesitate to tell you because clearly something is wrong because it's not "normal" for a toddler to wake often.

sorry again Neekie - I'm participating in the hijacking of your thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    The OP has said several times that this is a day sleep issue and there are no issues at night.
    What's the difference? I NEEDED my 19 month old to have his nap in the day so I can tend to my newborn or have some breathers and sometimes I'd get caught up with my toddler while my newborn had to wait for me to come get her. Thats what happens when you have 2 babies, she can't be spending that much time shooshing, cuddling, patting, carrying her 12 month old around trying to get them to sleep while you have a newborn. It won't work, she needs to do what she has to do and when the time comes, it'll be decided for her, so all the useless advice of "I had children so I can tend to them and not ignore them" means nothing. That's my opinion because I've been there and know what its like to have 2 close in age, and you need ones sleep to be sorted so when the new one comes and you have to do it all over again you're not running for the hills. This business is hard.