+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I look at it this way- if I was crying/sobbing/sooking/miserable, would I want to be left alone in a room while my loved ones sit out in another room watching telly or doing dishes? Definitely not! Just because they're babies it doesn't mean that their needs (or wants!) can be pushed aside and ignored. JMO!
    You are assuming incorrectly (and rudely) that a mother that lets her baby have a whinge jush pushes them aside and ignores them. Assumptions can also be made about mothers that don't let their babies whinge. But let's not go there because assumptions can be misinformed and plain wrong, and we wouldn't want to taint you with a Broad brush would we?

The adult comparison doesn't really work. You could say if the adult was genuinely upset then a bit of comfort would help. One could also say that if an adult was just a big sook having a bit of a non-eventful whinge....and everyone pandered to them, that adult would continue to be a sooky-la-la for the rest of their life.

It really depends on the specific situation: type of cry, length of cry, etc. In this situation I'm sure the mum will work it out and do what's best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I disagree... Assuming bub was a healthy size when born they should be capable of sleeping through at 6 months. It's certainly not normal to wake 5+ times per night. If a healthy sized 6 month older is waking that is sign that something is wrong (cold, hungry, been trained to wake up, medical issue etc).
    I'm capable of jogging 2 klm pushing a pram - doesn't mean I will every day if I don't feel like it nor does it mean everyone can or should just because I do.
    I'll agree with sure if you feel something is wrong with your baby if they wake that often but my baby was waking that often at 6 months and there was nothing wrong with him, or the fact he was waking. best book I've ever read was no cry sleep solution - I bought it when jasper was 8 months old and to start with it said it's okay if your okay with your baby waking at night, its normal.

people often go "omg! how did you cope?!?" (jasper was breast fed on demand at night until 3 years) but it really was fine. fine. healthy. normal. for him. and for me.

that's not to say I think everyone should be able to cope like that (see jogging reference) but after speaking to many many many mums about sleep I assure you it is normal & not uncommon at 6 months to wake frequently.

though I'm raising my daughter in the same way and she sleeps through (sort of.... she doesn't go down till 9-10pm) from about 6 weeks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Neekie how long is your baby up between sleeps during the day? I found DS is more harder to settle when he is over tired.
    I also found bub wouldn't sleep properly during the day if his sleeps were too close together (he wasn't tired enough). It's a tough job finding the right balance!.

Op: im not sure I anyone has suggested using a comforter? Shove it down your bra for a few days so it has your smell on it, and put bub to bed with it no matter where (cot, pram, rocker). Might take a few days to catch on.

Good luck must be hard with your hubby being away. Do what you need to do to get through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I disagree... Assuming bub was a healthy size when born they should be capable of sleeping through at 6 months. It's certainly not normal to wake 5+ times per night. If a healthy sized 6 month older is waking that is sign that something is wrong (cold, hungry, been trained to wake up, medical issue etc).
    I agree. Babies will wake up if hungry, lonely, wet nappy, sore tummy, sad, cold, ill, teeth hurting, missing mummy etc. All signs of something wrong and that's why the baby is waking.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

share a book  (07-06-2012),VicPark  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry I find it laughable that ppl think 6 month old babies should sleep through!
    Babies wake up...they want food,or a cuddle,or just to know someone is there.
    I sure as hell dont sleep through a whole night without waking up....dont know why babies should,esp at such a young age!!!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

CMF  (07-06-2012),majo  (07-06-2012),MummaOJ  (07-06-2012),share a book  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha OMG really????? You have NO idea and TBH your crazy misinformed advice could cause damage for first times Mums reading this.Its TOTALLY normal for a 6 month old to wake up that much.Get a freaking clue!!!!!!!!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Chels* For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-06-2012),majo  (07-06-2012),shinebrite  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    Sorry I find it laughable that ppl think 6 month old babies should sleep through!
    Babies wake up...they want food,or a cuddle,or just to know someone is there.
    I sure as hell dont sleep through a whole night without waking up....dont know why babies should,esp at such a young age!!!
    Oh I hear ya! I wake up 2-3 times a night since I can remember. If I did wake up, before I was married, as a teen I use to even be scared of the dark. Can't imagine what little helpless babies who cry and then are too tired so just give up are going through. I think parents should be more flexible and stress less!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

*Chels*  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    Oh I hear ya! I wake up 2-3 times a night since I can remember. If I did wake up, before I was married, as a teen I use to even be scared of the dark. Can't imagine what little helpless babies who cry and then are too tired so just give up are going through. I think parents should be more flexible and stress less!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    Yep, my 1yo nephew wakes up 3 to 8 times between 9pm and 4am, the day begins at 4am and he has a sleep about 8 to 9am then again about 2 to 3pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    It is not neglectful to let a baby cry and be checked on and comforted by its
    Mother, nor is it wrong to hold your baby to sleep or anything to those degrees.
    I disagree with this. I think leaving a baby to cry is neglectful (yes there is a difference between a cry and grizzle). Its neglectful to leave a baby hungry, dirty, cold or in pain, but why is it ok to leave a baby in emotional distress when its not ok to leave a baby in physical distress?
    I have two children aged 27 months and 8 months, both still wake through the night and neither has their emotional needs unmet, if they are both in need of me at night i simply pop them both into my bed.
    There is a reason health experts advise two years between pregnancies, because caring for kids is Exhausting!!! (im not having a go at families with close age gaps, i didnt listen either 😜)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-06-2012),CMF  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    haha OMG really????? You have NO idea and TBH your crazy misinformed advice could cause damage for first times Mums reading this.Its TOTALLY normal for a 6 month old to wake up that much.Get a freaking clue!!!!!!!!
    This is meant I be a place of support. There are ways to disagree without being so rude.

I just wanted to let the OP know I think you sound like your doing a great job. I would let your own judgement guide you. You know your baby best so trust your instincts. Also congrats on your pregnancy!