Hospital only cover - no extras | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am very interested in your posts. I'm thinking of doing this myself. We have a 3yo and 1yo and aren't planning to have any more children. We are paying about $4400 a year with extras. That would drop to a little over $3000 if we dropped extras. We claimed about $1400 worth of extras last calendar year, but I don't think we'll reach that level again. I'm a journalist and thinking about doing a story about the merits of going hospital-only. Would any of you be willing to be part of the story? Thanks, John

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ditched extras years ago. It's a money pit. You don't get much back, what you think you get back you don't. I just pay up front for dental or optical or physio and save a bomb in extra cover. Keep hospital and ditch the extras

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done the opposite & dropped hospital, kept extras. I use it a fair bit, yoga classes, weight watchers, optometry, physio etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think I'm going to have to do this soon.

The cost of PHI is going to rise again in April apparently. I just feel like the cost is getting ridiculous.

I only have selected extras at the moment anyway (I'm with Bupa). Just need to get DS in to the dentist for a check up and I think it'll be time to drop it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing with extras is best case scenario because u break a tooth and need heaps of physio and new glasses u might get 3-4x what u paid back.....but that's not overly likely.....hospital meanwhile can give you back 50+ x what u paid....although basic extras can be a middle ground as they still do physio and glasses....I want to drop ours built hubby keeps saying he's getting another crown..,, meanwhile it's been 5yrs he keeps saying that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and did u know that public hospitals are now hitting ur private health for your stay without telling u....and u get no better treatment for having it....so don't give them the policy details as that's contributed to phi going up....use phi for private hosp where u do get the extra care!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    Oh and did u know that public hospitals are now hitting ur private health for your stay without telling u....and u get no better treatment for having it....so don't give them the policy details as that's contributed to phi going up....use phi for private hosp where u do get the extra care!
    That's untrue. They cannot claim it if you don't give permission, you need to sign admission forms accepting the mode of admission. And the hospital gets a lot of extra money for each private admission and you are charged no different out of pocket helping them out heaps and it should have no effect on phi premiums, you pay it so you can use it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (09-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wait, what?? It's getting means tested??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    That's untrue. They cannot claim it if you don't give permission, you need to sign admission forms accepting the mode of admission. And the hospital gets a lot of extra money for each private admission and you are charged no different out of pocket helping them out heaps and it should have no effect on phi premiums, you pay it so you can use it.
    This is part of the recommended changes to save on Medicare spending. I didn't think it had come in yet though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Wait, what?? It's getting means tested??
    Really concerning. Wouldn't they want to encourage higher income earners to join/stay rather than discouraging them, thus forcing them back into the public system??

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (09-02-2016),TheGooch  (09-02-2016)