+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 38 weeks, ultrasound said already 4kg. Doctor booked me in to be induce. Bit scared..

Hi, i have been measuring a few weeks ahead throughout my pregnancy. I had a ultrasound at 34 weeks saying she was 2.8kg and had another one yesterday at 38+1 weeks and she is now 4kgs. Hey head is meant to be normal size as i've been told but have a chubby belly. I have GD but hve had great low results throughout my pregnancy with just diet to the point they cut my amount of testing times down.
    Anyways i know ultrasounds can be wrong, i'm just wondering how many are actually incorrect and correct. My belly is quite large which the ultrasound lady made very clear meany times but i've seen bigger bellies out there!
    I'm not over weight and have been very active.
    I have been booked in to be induced next Thursday so pretty scared now as all the natural water birth dreams i had are fading away unless she decides to come out before then but being my first time i doubt thats going to happen.
    Please tell me what i'm in for and how many of your ultrasounds were correct.

Thanks heaps ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

At 35 weeks, a growth scan measured at 3.5kgs.
    At 37w3d DD2 was born - 2.6kgs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (06-06-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS1 my ultrasound was spot on. He was 8lb 3oz.
    DS2 only had the 20 week scan, midwife estimated he was large but didn't feel the need to say anything. 9lb 6oz.
    DD ultrasound said she was going to be bigger than DS2. She was 7lb7oz.

There is another thread around where the doc said her baby was gong to be 12lb baby was 10lb. They are so inaccurate and it gets worse the further along in pregnancy you are.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (08-06-2012),mandi85  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, try not to stress. I was 41+6 on DS, I had a scan at 41 and the sonographer scared the crap out of me telling me he was a "huge baby well over 4kilos" well I had him 6 days later vaginally and drug free and he was 4.1kilos! On DD I was also told she was close to 4kilos but was born at 41 weeks 3.5kgs.

So I guess try and keep a positive mind, on DS I had wanted a natural labour and was so terrified that the minute I got to hospy I screamed for epidural, my midwife was fantastic and she reminded me I could do this and I didn't need drugs... I had him 20 mins later and only had 2 stitches!!!

I hope it all goes well for you and remember no matter how baby comes out as long as you are both healthy that's all that matters.

Sending good labour vibes your way!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My us was spot on but its not an exact science. It all depends on the amount of fluid etc.

Good luck with your induction.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh. I was told DD was going to be big and i should be induced at 38weeks...

I refused, she came on her due date, was 8pd10 (so not small but def not too big for me)... She was born after 2.5hrs labour, no dramas.

In saying that i didnt have GD.. I was just a small young 19yo and the staff were using scare tactics on me *rolls eyes*

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi. I can't really help with the growth scan as DS was only 3kg when he was born, but I hope my induction story helps.

I had to be induced at 38+3 because I was bleeding and things weren't progressing on their own. I was pretty scared that it would lead to intervention upon intervention, but things went really well. I had my waters broken at 11.30am and contractions started after that. DH and I walked the hospital to try to get things moving but at 3.30 I was only 3cm so I was put on the synto drip. I continued walking until the contractions got too close together and I spent the remainder of my labour kneeling on the bed. I was on continuous feotal monitoring once I was on the bed but it didn't affect what I was doing. DS was born 8 hours after my waters were broken, 4 hours after I was put on the drip, and after only 2.5 hours of active labour. It was pretty intense, particularly once the contractions started coming without much of a break, but I had pethidine to help me relax. The only time I really struggled was during transition, but I think that's pretty normal no matter what type of labour.

I can't compare it to a 'natural' labour, but I have heard that inductions can be a lot more intense. It was hard work but amazing, I was really happy with my birth and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Best of luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hun, I had GD with DS and I was induced at 39+3 although if we went by the ultrasound techs sizing I was due to have a small baby, I was put on fetal monitoring after that 36 week scan, DS was born a healthy 7lb 9. My OB was going to induce at 38 weeks he said that they usually do it around then anyway for someone with GD and he wouldn't let me go past 40weeks at all , because both DS and I were doing well with the monitoring he left us till 39+3.

I went in the night before the induction for the gel to be inserted twice once at 6pm then at 11pm (the gel burns a little but not to bad), I was taken to the delivery room the next morning (8:30am) where they broke my waters then started the centocin (sp??) drip, the contractions started right away, they were very manageable at around 11:30 they started to become harder contractions, I was having them every 5minutes (I think lol) lasting for 1minute, I was able to stay in an up write position or on a birthing ball for as long as I wanted, I wasn't able to labour in the bath like I'd hoped because they monitor you right the way through. My OB thought the whole process would take around 12hours however DS decided to make his entrance earlier at 3:12pm so just over 71/2 hours lol. It was painful but not unbearable, I had some gas that made me sick so I used it sparingly then at about 1pm they gave me a peth shot, just before his birth everything went calm and I couldn't feel contractions at all I loved the birth of my DS and would happily do it that way again

Good luck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cluky79 For This Useful Post:

mandi85  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, already starting to feel a bit less stressed. i have heard that being induce is alot more intense and being my first i was just hoping for a stright forward delivery lol everyone has told me nothing goes the way you want it with labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluky79 View Post
    Hi Hun, I had GD with DS and I was induced at 39+3 although if we went by the ultrasound techs sizing I was due to have a small baby, I was put on fetal monitoring after that 36 week scan, DS was born a healthy 7lb 9. My OB was going to induce at 38 weeks he said that they usually do it around then anyway for someone with GD and he wouldn't let me go past 40weeks at all , because both DS and I were doing well with the monitoring he left us till 39+3.

I went in the night before the induction for the gel to be inserted twice once at 6pm then at 11pm (the gel burns a little but not to bad), I was taken to the delivery room the next morning (8:30am) where they broke my waters then started the centocin (sp??) drip, the contractions started right away, they were very manageable at around 11:30 they started to become harder contractions, I was having them every 5minutes (I think lol) lasting for 1minute, I was able to stay in an up write position or on a birthing ball for as long as I wanted, I wasn't able to labour in the bath like I'd hoped because they monitor you right the way through. My OB thought the whole process would take around 12hours however DS decided to make his entrance earlier at 3:12pm so just over 71/2 hours lol. It was painful but not unbearable, I had some gas that made me sick so I used it sparingly then at about 1pm they gave me a peth shot, just before his birth everything went calm and I couldn't feel contractions at all I loved the birth of my DS and would happily do it that way again

Good luck
    Thanks Cluky79, the doctor said i have to go in on wednesday night to get the gel then check in Thursday morning. I know it's going to hurt, the pain isn't too much of what worries me. It's the higher risk of c section that scares me because i can't get her out or from distress. I hope i have a birth like yours, it's amazing what hearing other peoples experiences can do for your stress levels when your entering the unknown!