+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help - 20 month old sleep regression.

Hi everyone,
    I was hoping some of you lovely ladies could help me out!

My DS is 20 months and has always been a pretty good sleeper. He has usually had 30 mins to 1.5 hour nap during the day either in his cot or in the car and bed about 7pm and sleeps until 6.30am. Until this week...

Last week we had huge trouble getting him to sleep - it has been taking up to 2 hours. It would previously only take a couple of minutes of whinging and he'd put himself to sleep. This week he's been waking about midnight and we can rock him back to sleep but the minute we walk out of the room he is awake and calling out for us - usually Daddy! We try for a couple of hours to get him back to sleep and the last two nights around 4am we give up and bring him into our bed but he'll only sleep on top of one of us.

Any tips? Is it a phase at this age? Could it be teeth?

Thanks in advance for any insights...!

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It'll be mostly developmental but may just be teeth or getting a cold they both make my LO clingy for sure. For all mine but DD3 who is 21mo have stopped naps at 13-16mo she still has one occasionally it's normal for some to stop around now or earlier. Without a nap she sleeps a delightful full night and goes to bed earlier without it's a late night and grumpiness all around. I've had to start putting her to sleep with me sitting on the other side of the room and her musical light up bear on and the side of her cot is off so she can come find me in my bed and climb in with us something we've done for our other kids around now.

HTH even if it's just nothing else but you aren't alone and it's "normal"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bg14 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was hoping some of you lovely ladies could help me out!

My DS is 20 months and has always been a pretty good sleeper. He has usually had 30 mins to 1.5 hour nap during the day either in his cot or in the car and bed about 7pm and sleeps until 6.30am. Until this week...

Last week we had huge trouble getting him to sleep - it has been taking up to 2 hours. It would previously only take a couple of minutes of whinging and he'd put himself to sleep. This week he's been waking about midnight and we can rock him back to sleep but the minute we walk out of the room he is awake and calling out for us - usually Daddy! We try for a couple of hours to get him back to sleep and the last two nights around 4am we give up and bring him into our bed but he'll only sleep on top of one of us.

Any tips? Is it a phase at this age? Could it be teeth?

Thanks in advance for any insights...!
    Hey

We have had this same identical problem for the last couple of months. about once a week she'll just not go down... then another day she'll get up at 10pm and chat till 2am. But the rest of hte week she is fine and sleeps normally which is 2hrs during the day and 10-11hrs overnight.

I did some reading and its quite common for babies/kids to change their sleeping patterns between 18-24mths. The important thing is to be consistent. One suggested (i honestly dont remember who) said that to persist with the day naps even if it takes 1hr to get 30mins sleep. Cos once they get over this phase the nap is still there vs you not having it anymore.

also that the peak of separation anxiety is 18mths and we've noticed that DD is more likely to play up if we've been away from her all day. I was busy all weekend and on sunday night DD woke up at 10pm and just wanted to sit in my arms and chat to me. So she did... chatted and cuddled me till almost 1am. then she said 'nigh nighs' and just went to sleep.

not so useful to you but we are going thru this now and its just a phase.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much TeamAwesome and Izzys Mum! You have both made me feel so much better - just knowing I'm not alone helps so much!

We were wondering about the keeping routine thing - its so easy to just give up and give in. We have been trying to be consistent to what we normally do and will definitely continue that know.

I also read about the 18+ month age that they have a big mental leap and are more aware etc.

I'm hoping it passes soon.

Hope everyone has some good sleep tonight. Chilly here in Brisbane

Thanks again for taking the time to reply