+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low fluid level at 34 weeks

What causes low fluid?
    Could be be I haven't been drinking enough water?
    If I drink heaps of water would that fix the problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not that simple.. From what i can gather low amniotic fluid is caused by placenta issues or a leak of amniotic fluid... Im guessing it was a health professional who told you about having low fluid level? Are they concerned? Did they give you any other advice? X

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had it too. I can't recall the dr's saying that drinking water helps. You will probably get monitored by way of CTG and Ultrasound every few days just to make sure that bubs is ok. Your waters can re hydrate. I think the medical name for it is oligohydramnios.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies

My OB told me today bub is small and low fluid, I start ctgs this thur and they will be twice a week at least from now on, he didn't mention another scan and I'm not seeing him till next mon. He said I will be lucky to make it past 36 weeks. I'm on high BP meds so maybe they are causing it? I forgot to ask him I the when u walk out and think of all the Qs you should have asked!!
    He didn't mention drinking extra water I just figured it may top it up..
    I've also lost 1kg so maybe some of that is the fluid Ive lost. Last week my fluid levels were fine.

My son was born at 36 + 4 and was small for dates but my BP meds were not working and I got PE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh BP meds generally work through vasodilation, reducing fluid pressure.. Maybe they affect the placenta? I cant imagine vasodilation in the placenta is a helpful thing! Drinking lots of water may help with your fluid level, but it may also up your BP if you have more fluid then the pressure inside your blood vessels increases :/

Def ask more questions when you see your ob! Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    Ahh BP meds generally work through vasodilation, reducing fluid pressure.. Maybe they affect the placenta? I cant imagine vasodilation in the placenta is a helpful thing! Drinking lots of water may help with your fluid level, but it may also up your BP if you have more fluid then the pressure inside your blood vessels increases :/

Def ask more questions when you see your ob! Good luck x

It is a hard one hey, think I'll up my water in take a bit but wait and ask the midwives on thur as they should know about fluid levels. My OB gave me a fluid level number I think it was 6? Meant nothing to me thou as I've never heard of fluid level numbers so will ask the midwives.
    Think I might write a list of Qs haha.

Thanks for replying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Winter, Thats no good with the low fluid levels and BP, I hope if sorts its self our and you get to 36wks. The '6' is low, mine generally are 13/14 and they say they are good, they get the number by measuring the quadrants around bub then they stick it in a computer program and get the number - sorry not a very scientific explanation but try googling 'AFI'. I had polyhydramonsis (?sp) last preg, which is the reverse of what you have, so I have them measured at all my scans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fluid level i think relates to (is another name for) fluid index? I think the lower limit for fluid index is 5.. Ie below 5 they get worried and tend to induce? So 6 isnt much above that? I cant remember what the upper limit is tho for comparison... Sorry really not much help :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had polyhydramnios (high fluid level) and the other poster is right, the 6 they gave you is your amniotic fluid index (AFI). From what I recall 8-18 is "normal" so you are low. Mine topped out at 26!!

Drinking extra water will not help. Unless there is an identifiable underlying cause (such as your BP meds) there is pretty much nothing that can be done except monitor closely and keep you pregnant as long as possible.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynken View Post
    I also had polyhydramnios (high fluid level) and the other poster is right, the 6 they gave you is your amniotic fluid index (AFI). From what I recall 8-18 is "normal" so you are low. Mine topped out at 26!!

Drinking extra water will not help. Unless there is an identifiable underlying cause (such as your BP meds) there is pretty much nothing that can be done except monitor closely and keep you pregnant as long as possible.

All the best.
    Wow 26?! Was your stomach huge? Bet you lost alot of weight once you had bub! Did you find out why is was so high?
    I had a scan last week and they said everything was fine, can fluid levels drop that much in a week? My OB didn't mention another scan but he has a damned in his rooms which he uses every visit and I'm seeing him Monday so I guess he will check then.

Would a ctg pick up if the fluid levels are too low?.... Might have to start a thread about ctgs because I don't really know much about them, I usually need them during last few weeks or pregnancy because of the antibodies in my blood not fluid level.

Super trooper: yes fluid index is the one! I've never heard of it before but what u have said sounds like what my OB was saying. He didn't mention how low it had to be for him to take the baby out thou.