+ Reply to Thread
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rice milk.

Ok as it says this is about rice milk. My dd is currently drinking plain old cows milk, all the time. i was wondering if anyone can tell me about rice milk and what it's like compared to norm cows milk, and the taste.
    I do shopping tomorrow and I was thinking of trying her on something more healthy.
    So yea hit me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It tastes foul

My DS has been on rice milk since a toddler.

Its great for cooking, but apart from that I hate it

It is compleatly different from cows milk from a nutritional POV, and as with any food you need to consider the whole of what your child is consuming to see how it fits within his dietary needs.

My kids get all of their calcium needs from their fruit and veggies, and as such soy and rice milk is only a small part of their diet and generally reserved for breakfast cereals, an occasional hot chocolate or when I am cooking cakes/biscuits etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (05-06-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    She refuses to eat veggies, drinks some water but mainly lives on milk -.-'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyOf2Sweeties View Post
    She refuses to eat veggies, drinks some water but mainly lives on milk -.-'
    Stop offering milk?

Kids rarely starve themselves, that being said there is no fun in a food war - no one wins.

I'd stop offering milk - it won't hurt for a few days, only offer water to drink and offer a large variety of small amounts of foods - so 6 sultanas and 1 stick of carrot for a graze, then 1/2 later offer a chopped up apple etc

A child has to taste a food at least a dozen times over several weeks before their taste buds change

Good luck, but don't stress, it doesn't have to happen over night and quite often most kids do developed a good diet with good guidance from their parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    We prefer almond milk, much easier on the palate and less sickly sweet like rice milk. Problem with buy already made UHF style milk alternatives is they are heat treated so the nutrients are lost. We make our own almond milk, 1/2c soaked over night then processed on high with 700m water then strained through a muslin wrap. You can add a bit of raw honey or dates or vanilla for sweetness. With the veggie thing it really is an uphill battle at times!! I have NO PROBLEMS getting my 2.5yr old to eat ANYTHING these days but it had been a struggle!! I started out introducing foods to her slowly like you would a baby. She was never a big eater and still isn't but after breakfast if she is hungry I tell her I want her to eat her cucumber and apple yes entire ones before I make her a hot choc or a corn thin with spread on top. All I did was start her out on the veggie she liked and gave that to her all the time then I would introduce another then another. I would cut them different ways, let her play with them let her dip them in something I would started off with saying ALL she had to do was lick it, I made it fun, I showed her I liked it even if it meant she didn't try it and I ate it infront of her 10 times before she tried it. You should see the things she eats now!! We are a vegan family that has no sugar or gluten in our diet and she eats like a queen!! Loads of fresh things and even a lot of raw foods I make like green smoothies/juices. Start slowly, it's hard but every little bit counts

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (05-06-2012)