+ Reply to Thread
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Another In-law issue

A post started by another hubber reminded me of an issue I am currently having with my MIL and her Husband (Not DH's father).

MIL insists DS call her Husband "Poppy Bob" as his name is Bob. I am of the opinion that he is not a poppy, my children already have two blood grandfathers. However, it seems rude for DS to call him Bob. He is a nice enough man, who takes an interest in all of MIL's grandkids. They have only been together about 3 years, married for only a short time. I don't know why it rubs me the wrong way.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I just suck it up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum insists my DS call her partner Gramps. DS is only 22 months, so doesn't really call him anything at this stage (we don't see them often). But if I am talking to DS about him, I refer to him by his name, rather than Gramps- for example: Say thanks to Nanna and (name).

Apparently I agreed to it 3 hours after DS was born! Hahaha. They aren't married, I don't call him dad, so first name is fine by me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    SMIL wanted to be called Granny. We added her name at the end. DH's mum passed years ago, but it didn't feel right to us that the SMIL was Granny. She's lovely and is great with the kids, but still not Granny to us.

So obviously I don't mind! But if you do, then maybe just talk to them about it again. Would Uncle be better for you? Still makes him part of the family, but not have the Grandpa name??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP has had four father figures in his life, three are still around so our bub will have my dad - Grandpa, plus three others.

I guess if they are showing our bub the love and care of a 'blood' grandparent, they can call themselves what ever they like.

Kids know 'whos who in the zoo' in the end.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our DD has 8 grandparents. Because my parents divorced and re partnered and do did DP's.

All the step parents have been around for a long time 6yrs, 10yrs, 8yrs, 7yrs. We are a very family first family and if DD wants to call the steps grandparents as well then it doesn't bother me. Infact I always call the steps by what they would like to be called i.e Nanna, Granddad etc.

I think it's respectful. You can always have the name at the end to make it a little less formal. But honestly is there any real issue.

It goes like this for DD (I will indicate the blood relative by writing a (B) next to the name).

Grand Pop (B) & Nanna E, Nanna D (B) & Pa or Grand Pa, Nanna (B) & Granddad, Granddad (B) & Grandma.

And thats perfectly fine with me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i'd don't see the problem with it...they are married so it's not like he is just the latest fling

I don't call my step dad dad...but my kids call him Poppy and my step mum Nanna J. However, my DH's dad and step mum have only seen their grand child 1 time (for less than 1/2 hour and didn't hold her) and get no title.

I feel, if they are a positive part of your parents life and your life, then why not let them feel special.