+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RazzTazz View Post
    I had a look at my book and from my last blood test my levels were 142. Never knew what they meant but now have a fair idea. I'd say I'm not near the lower end. I take normal swisse multi-v with swisse vitamin D3 (which is cheap as!). Its hard to get the sun in Tas and I like to cover up.
    Are you pregnant? Just be careful with non-pregnancy directed multi vitamins because sometimes they can have vitamin A in it, which is badness for pregnancy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Piffle For This Useful Post:

oops  (16-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    30 is very low. 70 up is classed as normal. 125+ is recommended for pregnancy. I think that it's safer ad more effective to get vit D into a newborn through BM from a mum with a good vit D status than to supplement directly. I have been taking a 5000IU vit D supplement for around 12 months on my GP's recommendation and my levels are around 96 at the moment. Make sure your GP has up-to-date knowledge on vit D because the recommended dosages, etc have changed dramatically in the past few years as it's crucial role in just about every aspect of health has been better understood. I really like the bioceauticals vit D drops because it means less pills to take and it's really easy to adjust the dose.
    Thanks for that info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Keep in mind food like salmon, tuna, eggs (the yolk) -- to name a few..are also good sources of Vit D.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had very low vit d levels with 1st pregnancy, took vitamins everyday along with pregnancy vitamins. I breasted DS for 12 months but still had to give him pentavite (baby multi vitamins) everyday for the 12months. I'm pregnant again and still have low vit d levels so will have to do the same with this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Years ago I had extremely low vit d levels and have been taking it daily ever since. Research shows it helps with depression as well. I also live in tassie where in winter there isn't a lot of sun. I have also been a night shift worker for ten years and because I was sleeping during the day my bodies natural ability to absorb and convert to vit d through sun exposure was dodgy lol. It wasn't until I was TTC and doing other research and talking to some ladies on bubhub I found vit d can also help with implantation. OBGYN also told me there is absolutely no harm in taking vit d throughout my pregnancy.

I have to say it took 6-8 weeks before I noticed the difference in myself from having it regularly but it's well worth it and not expensive. Ostelin vit d costs me $10 for 60 tabs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm taking 1x1000IU capsule a day. But my Dr told me that taking extra capsules wouldn't make my levels climb faster as my body wouldn't absorb extra and just expel the excess.
    My son had low glucose level when born too, so he went to special care (was 4.5 weeks early anyway with other issues), but they gave him the glucose syrup and his levels were normal by the next morning (about 12 hours later). He hasn't had any problems since, and he's 16 months now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    Are you pregnant? Just be careful with non-pregnancy directed multi vitamins because sometimes they can have vitamin A in it, which is badness for pregnancy.
    Yes I am and its all good. The swisse multi-v only has beta carotene. Its got all the same as the pregnancy formulas just slightly less in the essentials bar folic acid. I didn't switch cause I was still going through a 4 month bottle! Didn't want to waste

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi can I add a question (sorry I thought I'd ask here instead if start a new thread).

A few weeks before falling pregnant, my vit D levels were only 54. I'm taking the bioceutucals drops (4 drops a day) and will have my levels checked later in the pregnancy.
    Is it likely my baby will need to be supplemented? Baby due Dec so I will have a month or so of sunshine to take advantage of too.

Prior to my previous pregnancy my levels were 84 but I guess carrying a child & breastfeeding for 14 months might have depleted my stores.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told to give my DS pentavite (baby multivitamin) for 12months. As did my friends with low vitamin d levels during pregnancy. I think it's pretty standard practice now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, our paed put our DS on pentavite when he left special care. Had to be on it for at least 3-6 months if I remember correctly. It was a pain in the bum cos it's bright yellow, and if it;s spilt or spat/chucked out it stains everything!! And not sure if it's changed but it can't be mixed/diluted either.