+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies off to the chemist tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also take vitamin D supplements and have been for 6 months. My levels are still very low and I did a bit of research and found if you low in zinc it can also affect your vitamin d absorption so I'm upping my leafy greens and also taking a magnesium supplement. There are so many reasons why vitamin D is so important as others have said and my Dr advised that sometimes low vitamin d levels can also lead to post natal depression.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been taking the supplements for 6 years and my levels are worse when I don't take my leafy greens! I'd say take it if you can especially because from what I know it also helps with calcium intake - some of the girls at work now have early osteo and they tell everyone to take as much vitamin d as they can now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm Vitamin D deficient and was meant to take supplements while pregnant (I kept forgetting). The current recommendations are that not only should Vit D deficient mums take supplements during pregnancy, but babies born to Vitamin D deficient mothers should also take supplements for the first year themselves. I have stickers with "this baby was born from a vitamin D deficient mother" plastered all over my daughters child health record book, which was put on by the hospital before we were discharged home.
    Last edited by icugal; 05-06-2012 at 21:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also take a Vit D supplement at the moment (I'm pregnant), but I'm interested to hear others experiences in this. How much Vit D do you take? I take 2x 1000mg tablets, + elevit - so 2,500mg a day total.

I also wonder if others know what their vit D levels actually are? In my pregnancy record book, my Dr recorded that my levels are 30.... she said that optimally, you should have a vit D level of at least 70, but I don't really have much of a frame of reference for 'how' low 30 is... obviously it's 40 less than 70, lol! But what is low, what is really low, etc. She also hasn't mentioned to me about whether or not the baby will need vit D supplements when they are born, but I would like to make sure bubs gets plenty of vit D... I have cared for children with rickets before (yes, in Australia!), and it's not nice... so I want to make sure that my baby gets plenty of vit D to keep nice strong bones and muscles!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Regina- check with your DR but I think that's too much?
    I'll check but I remember when I had my bloods done I was 30, my naturopath had me on 1000mg for 3 months, then checked again they were at 90! She then put me on 500mg a day which I still take, as does DS
    OP get your levels checked , and check again any time you get a blood test to determine how much you need, everyone of my friends who have been pregnant have all had low Vit D, and my naturopath says this is the main vitamin lacking when she first sees a client

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Regina- check with your DR but I think that's too much?
    I'll check but I remember when I had my bloods done I was 30, my naturopath had me on 1000mg for 3 months, then checked again they were at 90! She then put me on 500mg a day which I still take, as does DS
    OP get your levels checked , and check again any time you get a blood test to determine how much you need, everyone of my friends who have been pregnant have all had low Vit D, and my naturopath says this is the main vitamin lacking when she first sees a client
    Thanks for that info Elijah's Mum - I probably should have said, my levels WERE 26 at my 12 week pregnancy blood test, so I was taking 1000mg Vit D per day + elevit (so 1500mg) for 3 months, and then I had another blood test at 26 weeks of pregnancy, and my Vit D levels had gone up to 30. So, after taking 1500mg vit D for 3 months, my levels went up from 26 to 30, which is why my Dr has advised me to start taking 2500mg per day. That's amazing that your Vit D went from 30 to 90 in 3 months! I think perhaps I might not be absorbing the vit D very well, perhaps I do need more zinc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ahh cool, as long as he is monitoring it that's good!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a look at my book and from my last blood test my levels were 142. Never knew what they meant but now have a fair idea. I'd say I'm not near the lower end. I take normal swisse multi-v with swisse vitamin D3 (which is cheap as!). Its hard to get the sun in Tas and I like to cover up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    30 is very low. 70 up is classed as normal. 125+ is recommended for pregnancy. I think that it's safer ad more effective to get vit D into a newborn through BM from a mum with a good vit D status than to supplement directly. I have been taking a 5000IU vit D supplement for around 12 months on my GP's recommendation and my levels are around 96 at the moment. Make sure your GP has up-to-date knowledge on vit D because the recommended dosages, etc have changed dramatically in the past few years as it's crucial role in just about every aspect of health has been better understood. I really like the bioceauticals vit D drops because it means less pills to take and it's really easy to adjust the dose.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (09-06-2012)