+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vitamin D supplement - necessary??

I am 5 months pregnant and have been told my vitamin D levels are low and to take a supplement everyday.

Does anyone else have to do this? I am just wanting to know if it's safe and also beneficial or is there something else to do other than have a tablet except for the obvious sitting in the sun. A little hard to do in 6 degree temps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have actually been researching this recently. The official recommendations overseas (europe/scandinavia) are that ALL pregnant women and fully breastfed babies take vitamin D (much like folate etc)! But it hasn't caught on in Australia yet - possibly because of our sunshine? But I think it will eventually be routine recommendation here too.

If I was found to be deficient I would DEFINITELY take it - low vitamin D is still being explored, but it's been linked to a variety of problems from schizophrenia to coeliac disease in the bubby (not to mention bone weakness if severe). It's safe - it's already in prenatal vitamins like Elevit, just much lower doses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had low Vitamin D & took supplements when I was pregnant. Lots of women I know took it. EmyB has explained the reasons for it very well. So, it's one of those things that is great to take and has issues if you don't take it (if you have low levels).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was also found to be vitamin d deficient in my first pregnancy and have pretty much been taking vitamin d ever since (ostelin or any of the vit d brands that contain 1000iu).

There are problems like multiple sclerosis too in offspring where the mother was deficient, as well as schizophrenia as the pp mentioned. I wasn't willing to take that chance, and they kept checking my levels throughout pregnancy. I then had to give my ds pentavite (containing vit d) every day until he was 1 (that's the protocol at a few of the big maternity hospitals here).

The main issue is there's no research about vit d in the first trimester, so I took vit d up until I got bfp and I'm now 11 weeks pregnant and about to have my levels rechecked and probably start again. I took it all the time I was breastfeeding too and a friend who lives in ireland says all babies there have oral vit d drops routinely.

My dh had his levels checked recently as part of a health check and his were way lower than mine ever were, so he's on a double dose for 3 months then recheck, but I think it's pretty common!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, I am taking a Vit D supplement and did with DS as well, due to low levels. Post above explains it well.

I've had no adverse effects

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take swisse vitamin D3 as living in Tassie and either covering up/not getting much sun exposure I knew I was at risk. When I had my bloods done the midwife was amazed I had one of the best vitamin d levels she had ever seen! Its very common in tas to be deficient, so I must say I'm proud lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do it! I had pre-eclampsia which I have no doubt was caused by low vitamin D (there are lots of studies showing a clear causal link). Low Vit D is also associated with lower IQ, bone and teeth problems for bub, suppressed immune function, etc, etc. Vitamin D deficiency is very common even if you're in the sun a lot as most of our skin is still covered by clothing. 3000IU for pregnancy and 6000IU for breastfeeding are the latest recommended levels. This is up from 300IU which is what was recommended in the past. My GP has told me to get my levels up to 125 before conceiving again

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doc put me on vitamin D, pregnancy multivitamins & extra folic acid. : )

He said in other countries it's routine but because it's sunny here, people assume its not needed. Most people don't spend much time in the sun though and so have low vitamin D levels.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I'm low in vit D, and was advised to take a supplement. I found out at about 20weeks. I'm 27 weeks now, and I'm taking ostivit D.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had VERY low vitamin D with my first pregnancy and was taking ostelin too after 12 week bloods. My levels came up but were still considered low for the rest of my pregnancy. I just just continued taking them after DS was born to boost me back to normal.
    Sitting in the sun helps to boost your levels too, but considering it's winter and not sunny here I'm not taking chances this time and started taking vitamin D as soon as I found out I was pregnant. My levels were a little low at my 12 week blood tests but am hoping it's come back up. Had my blood glucose test recently so should find out soon how the vitamin D level is going too.
    Overall DS was fine (as he was stealing my vitamin D) and I ended up fine too.
    But if dr's say to take it I would follow their advice.