+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 16mo. Runny Nose for 4 weeks. What can I do?

Miss 16mo has had a runny nose for a month now. It's been ever since she started at Day care (only 1 day a week)
    She doesn't seem to fazed by it, but sometimes it just looks like she is getting sicker.. Then nothing.
    night time and naps she gets quite blocked up.

We have the Vicks Vaporizer going in her room and some books under the top legs of her cot to elevate her, she also has a few hankies in her cot and we hear her on the monitor quite few times a night blowing her nose.
    we also have Little fess nasal spray and put some Baby Vicks on her feet at bed time.

She has a pro-biotic every day (ethical nutrients) and we have tried boosting that with no luck yet

She has a very healthy diet, loves her veggies and fruit so we really take advantage of that and get them into her, especially over the past month.

I have been to the Dr as she has been getting random temperatures over the past month along with the runny nose, Dr just said she is fighting off something and it could take a while.
    And not to give any pain relief and let the fever run its course.

What can I do to help her fight it off?
    I know kids get sick and the need to build up an immune system but it's been 4 weeks now and her nose is red raw

I was thinking of a Multi-Vitamin for kids? But not sure I'd their really nessary given that her diet is pretty good.

I'm really just after any advise, preferably natural or home remidies etc, but I'm open to anything at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both of my kids tend to have a runny nose for months at a time in winter! I really don't think that there's much you can do.... It's just her immune system working at building itself up. I'd just keep doing what you are doing, lots of water, good food, time in the sun, and keep up the probiotics.
    Last edited by Mum2EandR; 05-06-2012 at 20:14.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the sore nose, I have found these fabulous things called boogie wipes! I get them at my chemist. They are moisturizing nose wipes with menthol in them. Helps prevent sore nose, and makes it easier for that dried snot to come off! You can also put paw paw ointment on her nose

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps eating plenty of garlic incorporated into meals, and then a daily teaspoon of natural unheated raw honey, with some freshly grated cinnamon? I've heard these work wonders, saying that, both my kids eat these as part of yheir regular diets and rarely get colds.Hope you find something which works for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to made2bAmummy For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Both for your replies.
    I have seen the boogie wipes before but have never tried them, will have to give them a go.

I'll add some garlic to her food today

Thanks
    Reviews
    paw paw ointment on the sore nose works awesomely