+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72
  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked
    24
    Reviews
    0
    I love the Gingers They are a rare specimen hubby says (he is a ginger too) lol.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can anybody tell me my odds of having a red-haired child:

    - I am brunette
    - My partner is red (but faded to strawberry blonde as adult)
    - our son is turning brunette from dark blonde, no red at all
    - my partner's family has quite a bit of red - his sister and dad are red, and it's on his mum's side as well
    - I don't know of any red in my immediate family (ie. siblings, parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents) - all blonde or brunette, but my grandfather was scottish, so there could be red further back

    (sorry to crash OP, but I think about this a lot and this thread reminded me)

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Too slow.
    Last edited by IndigoJ; 07-06-2012 at 12:09.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,095
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Can anybody tell me my odds of having a red-haired child:

    - I am brunette
    - My partner is red (but faded to strawberry blonde as adult)
    - our son is turning brunette from dark blonde, no red at all
    - my partner's family has quite a bit of red - his sister and dad are red, and it's on his mum's side as well
    - I don't know of any red in my immediate family (ie. siblings, parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents) - all blonde or brunette, but my grandfather was scottish, so there could be red further back

    (sorry to crash OP, but I think about this a lot and this thread reminded me)
    The big issue is whether you have two brunette genes or a recessive gene. In my opinion, since you mentioned blondes in your immediate family, it is likely you have a recessive blonde gene. That combined with a red gene from your partner could (in my opinion) result in a red haired child.

    Since your partner is strawberry blonde, I would expect he would have a blonde and a red gene, so ...

    If you have both a brown and blonde gene, and your partner has a red and blonde gene, that gives a 50% chance of brown haired offspiring (brown gene from you), a 25% chance of red haired offspring (blonde gene from you and red from partner), and a 25% chance of blonde haired offspring (blonde gene from both).

    If either of your parents are blonde, then you have a blonde gene, so the above is true and thus you have a 25% chance of an offspring being red-haired.

    If both your parents are brunette but you have a blonde sibling, then both your parents each have both a blonde and brunette gene, so you have a 66% chance of having a brunette and blonde gene, thus a 17% chance of an offspring being red-haired.

    If both your parents are brunette, and you have two blonde grandparents (one on each side) then both your parents will have a blonde and brunette gene and thus again you have a 66% chance of having a recessive blonde gene which means a 17% chance of an offspring being red-haired.

    If both your parents are brunette and you have only one blonde grandparent but the other branch has only brunettes going back for many generations ... then it is fairly safe to assume (but not guaranteed) that that parent has two brunette genes, but the parent from the blonde grandparent will have one blonde gene, giving you a 50% chance of having a blonde gene and thus a 12½% chance of an offspring being red.

    -------------------

    In short B = brown, b = blonde, r = red.

    For your children, either
    (no recessive blonde gene)
    BB (brown) + rb (red) = Bb (brown) | Br (brown)
    or
    (recessive blonde gene)
    Bb (brown) + rb (red) = Bb (brown) | Br (brown) | bb (blonde) | rb (red)

    So either 0% chance red or 25% chance red

    For yourself
    (brown parents, blonde sibling or two blonde grandparents, 66% chance recessive)
    Bb (brown) + Bb (brown) = BB (brown) | Bb (brown) | Bb (brown) | bb (blonde)
    or (brown parents, one blonde grandparent, other side brown to way back, 50% chance recessive)
    Bb (brown) + BB (brown) = BB (brown) | Bb (brown)

    The further back the blonde ancestor is, the lesser the chances the recessive gene has been passed on to you.

    However, it is possible that there are recessive genes that have been passed on, so the above is not perfect. Knowing the hair colour and number of children in each generation can give a better model for coming up with odds.

    For example, if you have one blonde grandparent, but three brown siblings that partnered with blonde partners and each had two brown-haired children, your chances of having a recessive blonde gene are so much lower.

    From you blonde grandparent, your parent has a 50% chance of having a recessive gene. If your parent has the recessive gene, you and each of your siblings have a 50% chance of having a recessive gene. If your sibling has a recessive gene, then each of their children have a 50% chance of having blonde hair. Given that information, there is only a 1½% chance that your parent would have a recessive blonde gene and thus only a 0.75% chance they passed it on to you, leaving your child with only a 0.19% chance of having red hair.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

    MsMummy  (07-06-2012)

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,611
    Thanks
    404
    Thanked
    1,918
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    The big issue is whether you have two brunette genes or a recessive gene. In my opinion, since you mentioned blondes in your immediate family, it is likely you have a recessive blonde gene. That combined with a red gene from your partner could (in my opinion) result in a red haired child.

    Since your partner is strawberry blonde, I would expect he would have a blonde and a red gene, so ...

    If you have both a brown and blonde gene, and your partner has a red and blonde gene, that gives a 50% chance of brown haired offspiring (brown gene from you), a 25% chance of red haired offspring (blonde gene from you and red from partner), and a 25% chance of blonde haired offspring (blonde gene from both).

    If either of your parents are blonde, then you have a blonde gene, so the above is true and thus you have a 25% chance of an offspring being red-haired.

    If both your parents are brunette but you have a blonde sibling, then both your parents each have both a blonde and brunette gene, so you have a 66% chance of having a brunette and blonde gene, thus a 17% chance of an offspring being red-haired.

    If both your parents are brunette, and you have two blonde grandparents (one on each side) then both your parents will have a blonde and brunette gene and thus again you have a 66% chance of having a recessive blonde gene which means a 17% chance of an offspring being red-haired.

    If both your parents are brunette and you have only one blonde grandparent but the other branch has only brunettes going back for many generations ... then it is fairly safe to assume (but not guaranteed) that that parent has two brunette genes, but the parent from the blonde grandparent will have one blonde gene, giving you a 50% chance of having a blonde gene and thus a 12½% chance of an offspring being red.

    -------------------

    In short B = brown, b = blonde, r = red.

    For your children, either
    (no recessive blonde gene)
    BB (brown) + rb (red) = Bb (brown) | Br (brown)
    or
    (recessive blonde gene)
    Bb (brown) + rb (red) = Bb (brown) | Br (brown) | bb (blonde) | rb (red)

    So either 0% chance red or 25% chance red

    For yourself
    (brown parents, blonde sibling or two blonde grandparents, 66% chance recessive)
    Bb (brown) + Bb (brown) = BB (brown) | Bb (brown) | Bb (brown) | bb (blonde)
    or (brown parents, one blonde grandparent, other side brown to way back, 50% chance recessive)
    Bb (brown) + BB (brown) = BB (brown) | Bb (brown)

    The further back the blonde ancestor is, the lesser the chances the recessive gene has been passed on to you.

    However, it is possible that there are recessive genes that have been passed on, so the above is not perfect. Knowing the hair colour and number of children in each generation can give a better model for coming up with odds.

    For example, if you have one blonde grandparent, but three brown siblings that partnered with blonde partners and each had two brown-haired children, your chances of having a recessive blonde gene are so much lower.

    From you blonde grandparent, your parent has a 50% chance of having a recessive gene. If your parent has the recessive gene, you and each of your siblings have a 50% chance of having a recessive gene. If your sibling has a recessive gene, then each of their children have a 50% chance of having blonde hair. Given that information, there is only a 1½% chance that your parent would have a recessive blonde gene and thus only a 0.75% chance they passed it on to you, leaving your child with only a 0.19% chance of having red hair.
    Thanks so much for calculating that for me! It's a funny gene the red-haired gene, and it's always something I wonder about, but figured it unlikely given the absent of redheads in my family, but not impossible given I had a blonde grandparent on each side.

  7. #66
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,095
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So based on my above calculations, that gives your potential child a 17% chance of having red hair. (I just thought I should add that because I did my usual run-away with heaps of numbers there.)

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What were the chances of us having a red haired baby? (sorry brain refuses to understand the above equation)

    My side: Grandfather-brown, Grandmother-red, father -brown, mother-brown, brother brown, me-brown.

    DPs side: Grandfather-red, grandmother-brown, father-red, mother-brown, sister-brown, DP-brown.

    We have one brown haired child and one red haired child.

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,865
    Thanks
    986
    Thanked
    3,330
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven't read the replies ... But my dad has red hair - I have brown as does exH ... DS1 has red hair DS2 has light brown.

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    my lounge room :)
    Posts
    806
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked
    103
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    What were the chances of us having a red haired baby? (sorry brain refuses to understand the above equation)

    My side: Grandfather-brown, Grandmother-red, father -brown, mother-brown, brother brown, me-brown.

    DPs side: Grandfather-red, grandmother-brown, father-red, mother-brown, sister-brown, DP-brown.

    We have one brown haired child and one red haired child.
    Quite good- 50%
    Opps! Scrap that- just did a punnett sq you have a 25% chance. duh! (me)
    Last edited by magic star; 08-06-2012 at 07:43.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to magic star For This Useful Post:

    IndigoJ  (08-06-2012)

  12. #70
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,095
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked
    747
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    What were the chances of us having a red haired baby? (sorry brain refuses to understand the above equation)

    My side: Grandfather-brown, Grandmother-red, father -brown, mother-brown, brother brown, me-brown.

    DPs side: Grandfather-red, grandmother-brown, father-red, mother-brown, sister-brown, DP-brown.

    We have one brown haired child and one red haired child.
    Given that you both have brown hair and already have a red-haired child then both you and your DP have recessive genes and thus the rest of your ancestries were unnecessary. I disagree with Silverspoon however and say that the chances are 25% not 50%.

    Br & Br = BB | Br | Br | rr

    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Haven't read the replies ... But my dad has red hair - I have brown as does exH ... DS1 has red hair DS2 has light brown.
    Exactly the same situation as IndigoJ, both you and exH have a recessive gene and thus any potential future child of both of you would have a 25% chance of red hair.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 07-06-2012 at 23:42.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ivf odds??
    By Eleash in forum pregnancy and babies through IVF
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 18:12
  2. Ivf odds
    By Eleash in forum IVF
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-06-2012, 17:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Pea Pods Reusable Nappies
Pea Pods are the smart choice when it comes to choosing what's best for you, your baby and the environment. Affordable and simple to use, Pea Pods keep your baby dry & happy. Visit our website to find your nearest stockist or order online.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!