+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do it all the time with everything. Today we had conversations like

"Bub, what do we need from the shops today? Didn't we have to get ......"
    "Does the kitty need more food?"
    "What do you think the temperature is outside? I think it's freeezzzzing"
    "Can I have a cuddle please? No? Well thats not nice. I'll just sit here on my own. Ohhh so now you want to cuddle me"
    "Bub dad texted you, you might want to text him back"
    "Sweetie what are you doing with phone? Did you set my alarm? For 7am on repeat?!?! How did you manage that?!?! Oh well you might want to set the second alarm too"
    "Mummy is so tired. Are you tired? No? Okay then"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (07-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    Hehehe I love that someone else knows ZPD too big fan of Lev Vygotsky theory
    What were you studying?
    Yeah, I think we are on the same wavelength! I love Vygotsky and his theories. Unfortunately, I am far too passionate sometimes about child development! I studied Early Childhood Education - it's possibly the same course/ qualifications that you're doing but a slightly different name? It gives qualifications for teaching children 0 - 8 - so child care, pre-school or school teaching. Is this what you studied? Good luck with the uni results

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Thank you Regina, lots of people don't seem to understand the importance if age appropriate language and it bugs me when people say things like 'oh I never did baby talk' as it's actually really important! It's important to use normal language too, but language is like building blocks, you need to start with the basics. Do people start off reading Tolstoy to their babies? Well, maybe, but that doesn't mean you don't also read board books.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    Thanks, Fearless I completely agree! I think the term 'baby talk' really throws people out - we say 'baby talk', and people think of someone saying to their 3 year old 'Mummy Wummy get dwinkie winkie?' Yuk!
    I think many mothers probably do use age-appropriate speech with their children, and it just comes so naturally that we don't realise that we are doing it. It's so beneficial to talk to your child as much as possible, in many different ways - but I agree with what you're saying about scaffolding their language & starting with the basics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I talk with my almost 7-year-old about TOPICS which others would perhaps seem "too old," for her. I don't use OTT words though. She wouldn't understand a word I was saying. I occasionally throw in a new word for her though...

I think everyone is pretty much agreeing, but what "baby talk," is seems to differ from person to person so everyone is getting a bit confused.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I did/do a lot of comentating with ds#2 and he has a fantastic vocab. Like... If we were going out id be all "lets go in the car" "we're going to nonnys house" etc "we are at nonnys house!" etc because ds#1 didnt speak for so so long, i was terrified it was my fault, so yeh.

Deffff did the baby talk. I still do it with ds#2. He's still my wittle buggy bug

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't do much baby talk, but I don't speak to them like I speak to my husband. I think there's a time and place for all different kinds of "dialects" for small children to learn.

If a primary teacher only spoke to your child using adult language, they would never understand anything. Introducing specific language and vocabulary is so important, but things also need to be explained more simply so they can understand.