+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    See that i agree with - makes sense to use simple syllable words, in an excited/higher pitch voice, with a baby.. But i would argue as long as they are real words... Ie drink vs dwink.

I also think it makes sense to talk a level above where the child is at... As lil pink hen made the example with a child using the word sultana, then the adult saying 'tana' or 'tarni warni' or whatever other ridiculous baby talk term you want to throw in there - it is redundant if the child is already a step ahead.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

I COMPLETELY agree. Child directed speech is definitely about speaking a level above what the child is at, and not a level below. It is about recognising their natural gap between Expressive Communication and Receptive Communication, and aiming to communicate with them on a level of their Receptive Communication, and not below where their Expressive communication is currently at. Some children have a huge gap between receptive & expressive communication, and some have a relatively smaller gap. This is related to the child's Zone of Proximal Development... but I am digressing (sorry, I get way too passionate about language acquisition!) The point is... I agree with you! It drives me nuts when someone says to a four year old, 'Ta for a dwinkie winkie?'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I see what you're saying! I think the important factor with Infant Directed Speech, the focus is on being a level ABOVE where the child is currently at in their speech and language, not a level below. So, if a preschool child says to you 'I want sultanas', you wouldn't say 'Oh, you want a tana? Yummy tanas!', but you might say that to a 6 month old (although, I would say SULtana at any age But if a 2 year old said to you 'I want sultanas', you would perhaps say something like, 'You would like some sultanas? Sure, I'll get some sultanas while you finish your lunch', or something like that. You wouldn't speak that way to an adult.

Interesting that you haven't learned about Child Directed Speech at uni! Are you studying Early Childhood? How far into the degree are you? Perhaps it is still to come!

Boobycino described it well above in her post about repeating her son's sentences back to him, that is using Child Directed Speech, but she is not talking down to him. If she spoke that way to her husband, he might feel like she was talking down to him but it is developing her son's vocabulary, etc. and using speech in a repetitive pattern in a way that is age-appropriate for him.
    Hehehe yep we are on the same wave length. It's been a while since I've done infant speech. I did it in TAFE 8 or 9 years ago now. Im finishing uni now just a few weeks waitng for results. Yes it's early childhood teaching
    I learnt it as a different term, yes it's all about reinforcing what the child is saying and extending to the next level as they get older.
    My first post was mainly in regard to people that will use the language the child is using and reinforce it so the child doesn't learn the correct words etc
    Uni focused a lot language through literacy developing towards the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I ask my newborn if she wants a feed and wait for a response.

I forget I'm not breast feeding a toddler any more.

I talk to jasper like an adult most of the time. kinda like I would an adult visiting from overseas who speaks but is still learning English. so I speak clearly and provide explanations in simple language when I need to. there's no point talking to him in a way he can't follow.

also like grocery shopping I ask my babies if we should get chicken or mince or if we need eggs and did daddy want honey or jam while they stare at me and coo.

I also often repeat back to jasper full sentences - I do it all the time so much so I accidentally do it to df when he doesn't complete a sentence properly.

like jasper says "mummy sandwich - table"

"jasper, would you like to eat your sandwich at the table?"

"yes - juice cup"

"did you want to have juice in your cup? what kind of juice?/colour cup"

though I don't correct him all the time - I don't mind if he keeps saying "that's berry scary!" or "my can't like that" or "mummy get up! it's day time! it's not dark time anymore!"

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Hehehe Lilly only uses the pronoun My instead of I too!

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For some reason, I've never spoken in baby talk to DD. I've always talked to her like she's much older, never using baby words for anything, and having more mature discussions with her while we're out walking.

I don't have much patience for baby talk, it's annoying and just delays their development of appropriate speech patterns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I COMPLETELY agree. Child directed speech is definitely about speaking a level above what the child is at, and not a level below. It is about recognising their natural gap between Expressive Communication and Receptive Communication, and aiming to communicate with them on a level of their Receptive Communication, and not below where their Expressive communication is currently at. Some children have a huge gap between receptive & expressive communication, and some have a relatively smaller gap. This is related to the child's Zone of Proximal Development... but I am digressing (sorry, I get way too passionate about language acquisition!) The point is... I agree with you! It drives me nuts when someone says to a four year old, 'Ta for a dwinkie winkie?'
    Hehehe I love that someone else knows ZPD too big fan of Lev Vygotsky theory
    What were you studying?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here Nemmi.
    My just turned 2yo can hold a detailed conversation with a stranger in 2 languages (shes not fluent in the third yet, but family can understand her) and be understood. Ive never baby talked to her, but Ive always responded to her communication, and used all three languages around her (though English is her strongest)
    Shes just started making up nicknames for people; she is 'wriggleguts' and daddy is 'smelly bum' Its very cute (though not in the shops when she yells "smelly bum!!!")

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr Seuss was ahead of his time.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (09-06-2012),Super Trooper  (06-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    Hehehe Lilly only uses the pronoun My instead of I too!
    I love it.

my df gets pronouns muddled too, English is his third language and you wouldn't know it until he starts just dropping pronouns out of sentences altogether. (hence why some times I repeat back to him the sentence correctly without thinking... like he says "have a shower" "you're having a shower?" "yeah that's what I just said" lol )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    and I was thinking about this thread while I "aahh boo aahh boo... ah wah wah wah..ah wah wah"ed at katelyn... I think I am speaking to her one step above her current language skill.

I got so excited when she said "bler" because previously she's only made g & c sounds. but it was a definite b. I actually was so proud I told my mum.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thank you Regina, lots of people don't seem to understand the importance if age appropriate language and it bugs me when people say things like 'oh I never did baby talk' as it's actually really important! It's important to use normal language too, but language is like building blocks, you need to start with the basics. Do people start off reading Tolstoy to their babies? Well, maybe, but that doesn't mean you don't also read board books.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (09-06-2012),duckduckgoose  (06-06-2012)